+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Geek

Question Questions: Ebay Charging cradle

Has anyone purchased a charging cradle other than the PalmOne version for the Treo 650? Since they are always out of stock, I'm considering one from Ebay. They seem to be plentiful.

Any thoughts?

http://search.ebay.com/treo-650-crad...fkrZ1QQfromZR8

be careful with ebay sync cradles

just got burned on this one...
    these cradles do not have a hotsync button,
    and do not have the slot for charging the 2nd battery the way the Palm OEM ones do.
    Spoke to somebody at a Palmone kiosk at a mall, asked why nobody has the cradles in stock. Apparently Palm pulled them all because of quality issues, and is waiting for a fresh shipment (from China). Might be worth waiting for.

Registered Geek
    That's great info! Thanks.

I have a Sync & charge with hotsync so I'm all set with that. I like the cradle for charging only next to my bed.

Do you think the ebay cradle would work for that?

Thanks!

It would probably work.
    If you ask an authorized Palm dealer, I'm sure they'll tell you some story about how you can't guarantee the stability of the current going into the charge, and why risk screwing up a several hundred dollar phone for the sake of saving $20 on a cradle/charger. But on the other hand, chances are it's electrically equivalent, just with different plastic around it. Hard to say.

Originally posted by mistertech
    That's great info! Thanks.

I have a Sync & charge with hotsync so I'm all set with that. I like the cradle for charging only next to my bed.

Do you think the ebay cradle would work for that?

Thanks!

I just got mine

I ordered one of these chargers and just received it.
    I got a cradle with integrated USB cable, power supply (only works with the cradle, not direct to the phone), and a car charger for $29.99 plus shipping.
    So far, no problems. Both seem to work fine. The cradle doesn't have a hotsync button, but I hot sync with Blue Tooth. It also doesn't have a slot for a second battery, but I have no problem keeping my phone charged on the original battery. I wanted the cradle primarily for easy desktop charging overnight, and it seems to fit the bill for that. It also frees up my OEM AC charger and USB hotsync cable for traveling, should I need them.
    The car charger pops out of the cigarette lighter hole a bit, but I can deal with that as well.
    Keeping my fingers crossed about frying my phone with these, but I think the risk of that is low.
    Mike