+ Reply to Thread

1st Time Sync from a 7135

I know this has been covered in previous posts, but I need a bit more clarification.

I'm giving up a Kyo 7135 for a new 650 on Tuesday. I have a bunch of apps on the 7135 that I will not use on the 650. I use Agendus for a PIM and SnapperMail for my email client.

Can someone give me step-by-step instructions for my 1st sync, understanding that my pref would be to load the Palm datebook, contacts, to do databases and the SnapperMail settings and probably nothing else. Once I get the 650 up and running, I'll add in whatever add'l stuff I need.

Thanks.

Jeff

Just went through this over the last few days myself this is what I did:

1. Did not even attempt to use anything from the 7135. In fact changed the name of the Palm File so nothing would get confused.
    2. Un-installed 7135 desktop
    3. Re-installed New PalmOne Desktop for Treo
    4. Installed Outlook Conduits (as that is what I used)
    5. Sync'd Outlook to Treo and tested to make sure all contacts and calendar were okay. (they were)
    6. Newly installed:
    * Takephone
    * Snappermail
    * BackupBuddyVFS
    *Splash ID (copied SplashID db to new PalmOne SplashID
    *Datebk5

And so far everything works great.

I'd also made sure I got the latest upgrade versions of all of these. Most all have specific new versions for the 650.

Hope this helps.

Before step 5 above, I would only recommend you look and see if there is a backup file in the Palm folder. If so, rename as Old Backup or 7135 Backup so it doesn't install everything in the backup file on your first sync.

Thanks, Kevin & mk3013. The only thing I'm not sure of is the Palm db, which is what I use. By renaming the old folder, how will I get the current db data into the 650?
    Last edited by JeffC; 05-22-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Originally posted by JeffC
    Thanks, Kevin & mk3013. The only thing I'm not sure of is the Palm db, which is what I use. By renaming the old folder, how will I get the current db data into the 650?
    beam it over from the 7135 to the 650.

Originally posted by Kevinw
    Jeff

Just went through this over the last few days myself this is what I did:

1. Did not even attempt to use anything from the 7135. In fact changed the name of the Palm File so nothing would get confused.
    2. Un-installed 7135 desktop
    3. Re-installed New PalmOne Desktop for Treo
    4. Installed Outlook Conduits (as that is what I used)
    5. Sync'd Outlook to Treo and tested to make sure all contacts and calendar were okay. (they were)
    6. Newly installed:
    * Takephone
    * Snappermail
    * BackupBuddyVFS
    *Splash ID (copied SplashID db to new PalmOne SplashID
    *Datebk5

And so far everything works great.

I'd also made sure I got the latest upgrade versions of all of these. Most all have specific new versions for the 650.

Hope this helps.
    I have a question and I hope it’s not too silly.

I am switching from the Kyocera 7135 to Tre 650 when I get home today, I don’t mind re-installing or finding new versions of software, but I do have a question about some programs from the 7135 that either have data or license stuff.

These are examples; any help would be greatly appreciated:

TopSecret – (contains lots of password and url’s and account stuff)

HappyDays – (reads the contacts to get dates from custom fields)

Checkers – (Can License carry over??)

I'm pretty sure none of these are a problem.

Most software has a license of some sort and most nowadays uses the user ID you put into the palm. You check what that is by clicking on the HotSync icon and it's in the upper corner. As long as the new 650 has exactly the same User ID you shoudl be okay.

As for the data bases. I had the same issue with Splash ID. If you look at the current file structure of your current Plam installation on your PC you will see that under the Program Files/ Palm/User ID you will see file names for the database program you installed. In my case that was SplashID.

Now when you install the new copy/version on your 650 you will find a nother subfolder under you user ID with the program name in it on the PC. In this case Program Files/ PalmOne/UserID/SplashID and It probably will have created a sample or new data base if you opened the program already. Simply copy the database file from the old file structure to the new file structure and replace the new sample one that exisit there.

Although I'm not familiar personally with the programs you mentioned everything else should work
    - Happy Days should read the contacts data base the same way it does now. - - Checkers license should work when the new version is installed just watch the Username.

It's also good to check the web sites for these programs FAQ section as they generally always have this information in there.

Originally posted by Marty
    beam it over from the 7135 to the 650.
    Thanks, Marty. What file(s) make up the Palm db?

Originally posted by Kevinw
    I'm pretty sure none of these are a problem.

Most software has a license of some sort and most nowadays uses the user ID you put into the palm. You check what that is by clicking on the HotSync icon and it's in the upper corner. As long as the new 650 has exactly the same User ID you shoudl be okay.

As for the data bases. I had the same issue with Splash ID. If you look at the current file structure of your current Plam installation on your PC you will see that under the Program Files/ Palm/User ID you will see file names for the database program you installed. In my case that was SplashID.

Now when you install the new copy/version on your 650 you will find a nother subfolder under you user ID with the program name in it on the PC. In this case Program Files/ PalmOne/UserID/SplashID and It probably will have created a sample or new data base if you opened the program already. Simply copy the database file from the old file structure to the new file structure and replace the new sample one that exisit there.

Although I'm not familiar personally with the programs you mentioned everything else should work
    - Happy Days should read the contacts data base the same way it does now. - - Checkers license should work when the new version is installed just watch the Username.

It's also good to check the web sites for these programs FAQ section as they generally always have this information in there.
    Kevinw,
    Thanks for your help, I can just barely wait to get home and start, it’s a shame too, because I have to make some stops before I go home today of all days.

Hmm, I used the freeware vfsBackup, did a complete restore (AFTER doing a complete backup in the 7135 to the SD), and it seems to have worked without a hitch. I assume most any SD type backup proggy would suffice the same way. I hardly ever hotsync any more, vfsBackup is complete, and a Hotsync is not where your data is concerned. You lose a lotta stuff if you do a hard wipe (or in this case, get a new phone). Then I copied all the old Palm directory stuff to another folder (to make a backup), and installed the new stuff in the original Palm folder, did a sync, and am up and running. I was actualy forced into this, because I picked the thing up on the way to work, and didn't have access to a 'puter at the time. All in all it was MUCH faster than the 7135 on a complete restore.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....