+ Reply to Thread

Caveat Emptor! VeriZon Update.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I have uncovered the following from the Data Department at Verizon Wireless. As usual, it can be subject to the same amount of suspicion and skepticism you give all news and reports found on the internet *grin* But I have searched all over to find out how people got their vzw 650's for $199.00, since I was told more than once that it was possible.

1) "Data Device Trade-In (affectionately called 'DDT') plan: This no longer exists. This was a plan that was discontinued some time ago, and IF you can get any sort of trade in at all, it would be either A) from an agent store, and not VeriZon Wireless Corporate, or someone doing you a favour. Regardless, they'd only give a marginal amount compared to what your phone *could* gather if you sold it outright.

2) "Customer Loyalty Program Discount" This is not really a discount at all, but actually a way to try to get you to switch to a Data Plan, and offers you an "Instant Rebate" of $50.00 IF you switch to any data plan starting at $24.99 (for 5MB) per month, or more. Note that the $50.00 you would have saved is rapidly repaid to VZW in oly 2 months, and results in an additional $500.00 for the remainder of the contract. Hmm, Suddenly that makes the Treo a $799.00 phone o.0. IF you plan to use your phone a lot for data and such, then you may not apply. IF you wanted the plan, you are entitled to the same $50.00, so if you didn't get it, you are eligible. Note: this seems only available at the store level or via the 800 number. The online purchase seems to make the data plan required (I didn't order online .

3) Wireless Sync: Again, if you buy online, I didn't find a way out of it, but at the 800 number OR at the store level, it's optional, at least of this writing.

My best guess is that someone out there is either fudging a bit, or has a special favour from someone. This is OK, and so I don't have any issue with that whatsoever. I'd use all the "friends" I could even to save $10.00 off the silly thing if I could, hehe, and cheers/grats to anyone who did it. I also won't challenge anyone who got a phone early.

If you order your phone online, you get free *standard* 7-10 day shipping. Call the 800 number (or 611) and it will be $3.99 for the same. I also must point out that I went to a corporate store, not an "authorised agent" so your mileage may vary if you did. They can do some funky stuff, so shop around.

BUT--- I did get this little tidbit at the store, to point out that the proof is in the pudding:
    "As for discounts, all I need is the mobile account number as proof that the deal is legitimate, and we can mimic ANY deal that anyone got, anywhere, no matter how low it was." I imagine that the only way we'd see anyone's number here would be to pay for it, and that would likely cost more than the savings, LOL. But they will match corporate or agent stores too. Good luck y'all
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-25-2005 at 01:14 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

I just orered mine for $349.00 + $9.99 for overnight shipping. I would imagine many have recieved this deal...

$199.00 would be great, but I can't imagine how.

Well, as it turns out, another Treo site is offering it till the end of May at a $50.00 rebate, but their initial price is $379.99, making your net cost $329.99. VZW's 2 Year Contract Price is $399.99, so if you use NE2 that knocks off $100.00, making it $299.99. Turns out, IF you get the Unlimited Data plan (yeah yeah, $44.99 a month), you can get another $100.00 off of the thing, which would arrive at our magic $199.99 price. You also have to keep that plan for 3 months before you can cancel it.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

i was told flat out there was NO discount available for signing up for the unlimited data plan.

fwiw,
    doody.

There is a data unlimited discount - but that's only when you buy the phone (you don't get it if you add it say two weeks later).

The caveat is that you cannot stack the NE2 and the unlimited data discounts - so Copasetic, you cannot get it for $199.99. Also, you can cancel the unlimited data plan at any time and not lose the credit (at least, so says George in the Sacramento, CA tele-sales dept.).

I also just spent a couple days trying to find this cheap. Finally I just got it for $299 today at a VZW kisok store and it's so pretty to have now.

Order last night for 299

I was told last night 199 is possible.

First you have to "qualify" for upgrade pricing. (I believe this means you've had your current phone for 1 year.)

Then you have to sign a new 2 year voice contract.

This gives you 399.

Then you have to add unlimited data for at least 3 months. This gives -100.

Then you have to be eligible for NE2. This gives -100.

Total = 399 - 100 - 100 = 199

My advice is that you do this on the phone with verizon and politely ask the sales rep to check with their supervisor. I did this last ngiht, and got it for 299, as I'm not up for NE2 yet.

Re: Order last night for 299

Originally posted by pdaone
    I was told last night 199 is possible.

First you have to "qualify" for upgrade pricing. (I believe this means you've had your current phone for 1 year.)

Then you have to sign a new 2 year voice contract.

This gives you 399.

Then you have to add unlimited data for at least 3 months. This gives -100.

Then you have to be eligible for NE2. This gives -100.

Total = 399 - 100 - 100 = 199.
    I guess that works, but isn't the unlimited data plan $45 or $80 a month? So you're actually saving money without it.

Depends on how much usage you use though. I just make mine come out of minutes.

Re: Re: Order last night for 299

Originally posted by Kender
    Depends on how much usage you use though. I just make mine come out of minutes.
    I was having some issues getting QnC and 1XRTT sessions on my phone, bleh...but I found the thread on how to do this, so thanks again to pdaphonehome.com? I copied all the stuff from my Kyo and the thread had all the missing pieces!
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-26-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Unlimited data is $45/month. But I'm using Wireless sync (I get 150-200 emails per day) and I will be using for occasional SSH access. So for me, I think this is the better method.

Originally posted by pdaone
    Unlimited data is $45/month. But I'm using Wireless sync (I get 150-200 emails per day) and I will be using for occasional SSH access. So for me, I think this is the better method.
    Oh yeah. You are much more of a power user than I.

Not to derail, but what SSH client do you use?

I may up my minutes slightly - since this phone makes internet browsing MUCH easier than my old i700.