+ Reply to Thread

7 Email Apps for the 650, the winner?...

I've done a lot of research on all apps for the Palm. One section I now have to "dig deeper into" are the E-Mail apps. After searching all the highly rated E-Mail apps, I found the following 7 apps to be highly rated on Palm Gear.

1. Documents to Go
    2. QuickOffice Premier
    3. Attach to Hand
    4. EMail 3.0.7
    5. Mail + v1.51
    6. SnapperMail Premier

and course the free one included...

7. Versa Mail.

Although these were all hailed as great apps, I have not personally check into any of them yet. Of course if Versa Mail can do everything that all the other apps can, that would be great.

Has anyone reviewed and tested any/all of these E-Mail apps to find out their strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/postings

Registered Geek
    My vote goes to SnapperMail. I like the interface. Not to mention it works very well! I haven't tried some of the other apps though.

The ones I've seen recommended the most are SnapperMail and Chatteremail. I personally use Snappermail and I'm very happy with it.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    If I can get Versamail to work, especially with GMail, I vote for the included app.
    Otherwise, if it's simple POP3 mail, and you don't need auto timed sync, then use the free app. - eudora.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

I'd have to vote for SnapperMail. i've used it from 7135 to now. (maybe even 6035). works flawlessly-never crashes.
    Inquiring Minds Want To Know!
    My Camel

Have to go with Snappermail - I tried Versa Mail but I have more then one email account and it couldn't download all the accounts on one call like SnapperMail can.

Why isn't Agendus Mail in the running here? Just wondering.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I vote for SnapperMail. Mine doesn't count though since I'm biased because I work part-time on the official SnapperMail support team.
    Michael

Snappermail Premier

Snapper... is the best and most expensive. If you must access your corporate account then Snapper Premier. As mentioned above it has a nice interface and some great options.
    Thx
    <b>GhengisEEK</b>
    <size=1>"I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."</size=1>

<i>Devices: Samsung I300, Axim X5, Treo 600, Treo 650 </i>
    <i>Carriers: Verizon, SprintPCS</i>

Ok, the majority seems to like SnapperMail.

1 Question regarding SnapperMail...

1. Is there anything any of the other E-mail apps CAN do that Snapper CANNOT DO?

Also, tell me if I'm wrong, but I get notification of my e-mail through Hotmail's "MobileAlert" via a text message for my non POP3 account.

Granted, this is not POP3, but couldn't I just tell my POP3 account to forward my mail to Hotmail's account, have Hotmail notify me of this, go to Hotmail through my browser, check E-mail/Attachments and download whatever I want into my phone?

I haven't tried this yet, but in theory it seems like it would work.

The other plus side to this is that I'd get notified of new E-Mail even while on the phone because it comes through as SMS not MMS.

Anyone with any knowledge/opinion/experience on this would be great.

As always, thanks in advance.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    ChatterEmail supports "push" Email messaging (like a Blackberry) which SnapperMail doesn't do yet. SnapperMail will have that ability in a future version.

On a side note, the Enterprise Edition of SnapperMail supports IMAP. Other clients do as well.
    Michael

i just purchased ChatterEmail. i stand corrected. it would appear it smokes! i can't wait for Snapper Mail (but i love their logo) to have push technology.

i have 2 pop accounts that i need/want to monitor. i could set up more and may just do that with this program. makes life SOOOOO much easier with push technology. i am continuously learning (and many times forgetting!).
    My Camel

So can anyone sum up which is the best email program (best meaning most robust feature set and ease of use).

there are 4 functions i can't find or are not in Chatter. I have emailed them asking to see if i'm missing something.

to me, these are features that are important to the basic operation of the program.

the questions as asked, are:

How do you:
    1) extend the size of the download (so as to take down attachments, etc.)?
    2) "select" more than one file at a time to delete from the inbox (or other folders)?
    3) create new folders (i have more than one email account that i need to put mail in individually)?
    4) selective delete files from the server once you have read them on the PDA?

so i'd still have to say for ease of use, and functionality (less the great function of "push") Snapper Mail surpasses Chatter Email.

just MHO.
    My Camel

I have Chatter and it does all of those things and some. As far as attachments it gives you a choice as to where you want them to go.

To delete more than one file at a time go to the summary section, where you can see all of your email accts. ( you can choose different color s for different accts.) and just lock the ones you don't want to delete and all of the unlock file will be deleted. And thats with POP3 and imap.
    Creating new folders; with imap it will download your folders from your server for you. I haven't figured out POP3 yet. I guess if I breakdown and read the manual I could find out huh! Where's the fun in that?!
    I love it !

Chattermail with push email is the best!

PS and the support team is super fast and always there.

thanks for the info. i have a "call" in to them to see what i can find out. i did find the summary function which i had not activated in the prefs. thanks for that.

i am using pop3 and i too cannot find the create folders section.

there are many things it DOES do-more than Snapper Mail. i will give them that. and i would guess there are a lot of functions i haven't found yet but i'm exploring-hourly!

i know you can d/l attachmets and store them but i have not found where i can increase the size of the download.

and how about deleting off the server once you have read and deleted off the pda?
    My Camel

I use Fastmail.fm as my imap server and it does delete from there after deleting from my treo650. But not from my POP3(yahoo) acct. . Again, that may be me not looking at the manual.
    As far as downloading attachments, as long as you have a sd card you can D/L very large files. I D/L large documents and pictures right to docs to go and splashphoto all the time.

If thats not enough, check in the pref. menu and increase the number of bytes downloaded. I think that may help.
    Or you can go the their website and check out there forum.
    I'm sure it's there somewhere.

thanks~! i found the increase of d/l bytes. it was default of 40. i increased to max of 400. that's a 10x increase. that ought to do it.

i broke down and read the manual (well done i must add). and i found that i think, IMAP is the only way to have good control.

i don't understand IMAP but Earthlink claims they do no support IMAP and they are my carrier so i guess i'm screwed.

if anyone has suggestions..........
    i haven't heard from Marc or his group yet. i responded to him when i got my reg# but he hasn't answered.
    My Camel

That's unusual. He normally response right away. May be it's holiday weekend.

What was you question to him?