+ Reply to Thread

Question Some Treo 650 questions

Hi,

I'm considering a 650. I hope you all can answer some questions I have about it.

I want it to serve three purposes (in order). Phone, MP3 player, organizer.

Since I want it primarily to be my phone and MP3 player, I wanted to ask about battery life when playing MP3s. I can't really afford to have my phone die because I listened to music for an hour.

Next, I wanted to ask about the headphone jack. I've read that its non-standard. What options are there for using headphones (for MP3s) with it?

I've also read that the bluetooth can't be used to listen to MP3s over headsets. Is that the case?

OK those are my specific questions. If anyone has suggestions on a smartphone that can do the three things I want better than the 650, I'd love to hear about that as well.

Thanks,

OznatsocA

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    For battery life, get an extra battery just in case -> http://store.treocentral.com/content.../12-45--13.htm

For headphones, yes the Treo 650 jack is non-standard size. Get this and you can use whatever headphones you want -> http://store.treocentral.com/content.../12-45--13.htm

I'm not sure about the capability of listening to MP3s over bluetooth. I wouldn't want to anyway because there wouldn't be enough bandwidth in the connection, which would cause music to sound like crap.

There's no built-in MP3 player in the Treo 650. You'll have to purchase a program. I use Pocket Tunes Deluxe.
    Michael

i have read that bluetooth mp3 is impossible, but some websites claim to offer such items.

my sprint 650 came with a built in mp3 real player, although it is not as good as bebopper.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by tabutler
    i have read that bluetooth mp3 is impossible, but some websites claim to offer such items.

my sprint 650 came with a built in mp3 real player, although it is not as good as bebopper.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's called RealPlayer. Definitely not as good as Bebopper on the Kyocera 7135. Too bad that doesn't run on the Treo 650.
    Michael

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Re: Some Treo 650 questions

Originally posted by oznatsoca
    [B]Hi,
    I'm considering a 650.
    <snip>
    I wanted to ask about the headphone jack. I've read that its non-standard. What options are there for using headphones (for MP3s) with it?
    This right-angle adapter lets you use any standard earphones or headphones with the prevailing 1/8" mini-phone jack that virtually all manufacturers use nowadays, and is $8.10; I've seen it for more, elsewhere. The straight-line adapters would be too unwieldy for me, given that the jack's on the bottom of the phone.

I've also read that the bluetooth can't be used to listen to MP3s over headsets. Is that the case?<snip>
    Yep. BT was not designed for that, although the next iteration will certainly have that capability in the specification. A wired connection just might have better fidelity, anyway.
    John Bartley K7AAY | http://celdata.cjb.net | http://kiloseven.blogspot.com

pocket-tunes (www.pocket-tunes.com) is an excellent mp3 player for PalmOS5 devices like the 650. Give it a try, it will blow bebopper away!

i have to agree with that last caller <grin>. i was a staunch BeBopper supporter but pocket tunes is awesome. i asked about conversion but he didn't seem too interested-his platform was the 7135 and he was good at it. so i bought ptunes.

the connector for the650 is a 3 conductor. the conncector for the 7135 is 4. if you push the "hang up/pause" button on the 7135 stereo headsets, you get stereo. it's just that your finger gets tired. i suppose you could go in and jumper what you need to, but for 16 or so bucks, buy a new headset.

i researched all over and i think i found 1 supplier of stereo BT but i can almost guarantee you that the 650 wont support it. use hard wiring. BT is good for some things but i am treating it as more "buzz" than function right now.

i'm upset that there's no voice memo'ing without 3rd party s/w. that sucks.

and the voice dialing performance of those programs on the market currently suck big time. the 7135 swims circles around the 650 for that function. i really don't like havin to "call up" a prgrram and then have voice rec. dial. the one Palmone is supporting sucks 'cause you can't turn it off or say stop if it wants to dial an only number. there's no option to say DON'T DIAL!!!!. So you have to use your fingers and that's stupid!

Crappy design in that field. (IMHO of course)
    Inquiring Minds Want To Know!
    My Camel

battery life

This has all been real helpful. Can anyone who uses the Mp3 capabilities give me an estimate as to the battery life when playing Mp3's?

Thanks,

Oz

Originally posted by mahammel
    i have to agree with that last caller <grin>. i was a staunch BeBopper supporter but pocket tunes is awesome. i asked about conversion but he didn't seem too interested-his platform was the 7135 and he was good at it. so i bought ptunes.
    Saying I'm not too interested isn't really the truth. I've not used the 7135 on a daily basis in many months. Call me a secret Treo 600 user. Right now I'm evaluating whether to support Garnet (Treo 650, LifeDrive, Zire 72, etc.)

Originally posted by tabutler
    MP3 playback over bluetooth is supported using a profile designed for Bluetooth 1.2, which isn't included in OS 5 used by the Treo, a Bluetooth 1.1 device.

Smile

Sorry! i didn't realize those were the words I used, until after I posted. My apologies. I knew you were interested, just by the fact you're here. I certainly should have worded it differently (old age i suppose).

We BeBoppers thank you for what you've done for us and hope you continue to develop (in the 650 product market)

BTW there's a REAL NEED for GOOD voice products. no one has touched the quality of the 7135 voice activation system.

Go For It.
    Inquiring Minds Want To Know!
    My Camel