+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7135 to 650

7135 to 650

I am replacing my 7135 with a 650 and am looking for some help

My 7135 is no longer working (no zero key and fatal exceptions daily) and I have upgraded to a Treo 650.

I am looking for advice on how to trasfer my contact information to the new phone

My service provider (verizon) was no help and referred me to Palm who then had me call Kyocera and I am getting the run-around.

I am not using any 3rd party software on the 7135 and am just looking at how to tranfer the contact info and calender info currently in my palm desktop program to the new phone.

I have searched your forum but have not found a thread that deals with my senario.

Perhaps I should start by transfering into outlook?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Dave

You have two choices. Follow the directions in these forums to install the new desktop over the old and just sync the Treo. Be sure to get rid of your old backup directory first!

Or if you're like me and want to start fresh, you can EXPORT data in the old desktop into ascii files (File/Export for each type of data), remove the old desktop completely, reinstall the new and Import those data files. I'd suggest using the same directory as the old install though, as there will be leftover registry entries that point to that directory and will cause trouble if they are different.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: 7135 to 650

Originally posted by dkien

My 7135 is no longer working (no zero key and fatal exceptions daily) and I have upgraded to a Treo 650.

I am looking for advice on how to trasfer my contact information to the new phone

My service provider (verizon) was no help and referred me to Palm who then had me call Kyocera and I am getting the run-around.

I am not using any 3rd party software on the 7135 and am just looking at how to tranfer the contact info and calender info currently in my palm desktop program to the new phone.

I have searched your forum but have not found a thread that deals with my senario.

Dave
    go into the contacts app on the 7135, tap the "select all" option from the menu, then beam it over to the 650.

Thanks to everyone for the help

I will be trying this weekend

Does anyone have a recomendation for the size of an sd card?

Dave

Does anyone have a recomendation for the size of an sd card?
    i'd stick with the ones that are about 24mm by 32mm, but who knows what you could cram in there if you had to.

doody.

Originally posted by Doody
    i'd stick with the ones that are about 24mm by 32mm, but who knows what you could cram in there if you had to.

doody.
    LOL Now that's funny

7135/650 transition

I, too, have a Kyocera 7135 and am thinking about replacing it with the Treo 650. I love my 7135 but I'm on my 4th one now in 2 years. They are great while they last but I'm afraid they are only replacing them with increasingly unreliable rebuilt units. My last one quit after only 87 days, the only good part of that being that the warranty was for 90 days.

I have been postponing the replacement because of a problem that seems to require paying an extra $45/mo. with the 650 for a data plan that I don't need. I am happy just checking email and occasionally browsing the web when I want, and I certainly don't want the always on push features of the 650. (I don't want to be that accessible!) I am told that it's difficult or impossible to turn that feature off so that it stays off and, in any case, an extra-cost data plan of some sort is required for the 650. I know it's not necessary for the 7135. Without a data plan, some 650 users have reported $3-4,000 bills.

I would be interested to know your experience with the 650 data plan structure. Is there any way to avoid throwing an extra $45/mo. down the drain for extra data capabilities that aren't really needed? Or do you need all that data anyway, so that you don't mind paying the extra $45? Perhaps you are doing that already with the 7135.

Upgraded to 650 then reverted to 7135

I've been a Kyocera 7135 user for over two years with Verizon now. Two weeks ago I bit the bullet and upgraded to a Treo 650. Verizon gave me a two week trial period (as they do with any new phone purchase) to try out the new phone. I used the 650 for two weeks. I cheerfully returned it today and reverted to my 7135. I'll tell you why. Here's my assessment of the 650 as compared to the 7135.

Good things about the 650 compared to the 7135:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    1) It's a rocket. The processor is ten times faster. As a result, Hotsyncs that used to take two to three minutes with the 7135 took only 15 seconds. Switching between applications on the 650 is instantaneous.

2) The battery life is extraordinarily long. I usually dock my 7135 overnight and then throughout the workday to keep it up and running. In contrast, I was able to use the 650 for over a day without having to dock...and then had plenty of battery life left.

3) Bluetooth devices. I got a Bluetooth headset and was only modestly impressed by its performance. But, even so, it's nice to be hands-free, wire-free.

4) Palm OS 5.4. Hands down, a much better looking and performing OS than the 4.1. (Even so, my 650 crashed a dozen times during my two week trial.)

5) High resolution screen. Photos look pretty nice.

6) IMHO, the built-in camera is a cool "nice-to-have" feature, but not worth the extra Verizon charges required to transfer photos.

Bad things about the 650 compared to the 7135:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    1) The 650 is a PDA with a phone built on to it. In contrast, the 7135 is a phone first and brings all of the phone functionality to the forefront of the device's user experience. Her are some examples:
    * The 650 has comparably less integration with phone functionality (e.g., the ability to highlight a phone number in the PDA and tap "Phone" and have the 7135 dial the number) and was more difficult to use as a phone.
    * The 650 has tiny, tiny dialing buttons embedded in the fully QWERTY keyboard that are easy to touch-type with (especially with two hands) but make is hard to dial without looking at the phone. It does have the ability to present big dialing buttons on the screen, but there is nothing tactile about tapping a screen. This makes it a challenge to touch dial while not looking at the phone. Dialing on the 650 proved to be one of the most annoying experiences of my two week trial.
    * The 650 is not nearly as "courteous" as the 650. For example, there were times when I found myself beginning a certain action without the stylus (e.g., looking up a name in my contact list) by touch-typing on the nice QWERTY keyboard only to have to complete the action by pulling out the stylus so that I could select the list of names which has such a narrow row height that I was routinely unsuccessful trying to select the name by tapping it on the screen with my finger. My finger is not that fat, but it was routinely too fat to successfully select the contact from a list of matching contacts.
    * The 650 loses its context when switching between the phone and the PDA. Particularly annoying for me was when I found myself accidentally tapping the wrong name from the list of contact names (per my aforementioned example), when I hung up and switched back to the PDA I would have to start the search all over again. It's this kind of lack of attention to detail that pushed me back to my 7135, which is far superior to the 650 in this important regard. Efficiency and courtesy equate to usability in my experience. The 7135 delivers in this regard. The 650 is annoying to the point of frustration.

2) The Memo application only support text. In contrast, the 7135 supports text, pen (digital ink) and voice memos. I found the lack of the pen and voice memos to be bigger deal for me than I realized they would be.

3) MP3 playback is distorted. I regularly use an MP3 player (Bebopper www.belltools.com) on my 7135 during commutes, walks, jogs, etc. It sounds great. So, I ordered Treo stereo head buds for my new 650. I have my MP3 files on an SD memory card, so I quickly inserted the card into the 650 and played them with the Real Player for Palm that is bundled with the 650. There was notable distortion. I thought that possibly the Real Player needed to be updated, so I joined Real's Rhapsody service and downloaded the most up-to-date MP3 player. Still had noticeable distortion. I even downloaded the Pocket Tunes MP3 player and still had distortion. I then went out on several web sites and found others reporting that the MP3 audio playback is sorely lacking in sound quality. I even tried putting my Kyocera headphones into the 650 (which doesn't play back in stereo because the stereo/mono plug positions don't line up) and still got noticeable distortion. I even tried adjusting the gain (a novel feature of the Pocket Tunes MP3 player) and still got distortion. So, I found the 650 as an MP3 player to be unacceptable.

4) The phone reception is not as good as the 7135. I use Verizon on a digital network. I live in an area near the moutains where the digital signal is not optimal. Even so, while I occasionally had problems with my 7135 losing calls at my home, I routinely had problems with my 650 losing calls at the same location. The 650 proved to be unreliable for making and receiving calls from the somewhat suboptimal conditions of my home when compared to the 7135.

5) The KeyLock feature of the 650 constantly gets in the way. Whereas the 7135 is a flip phone, the 650 is not. Consequently it has a KeyLock feature that enables itself after a few moments of no use (when the phone is in a call) and I found myself constantly having the tap one button to turn the screen back on and then another to have to disable the KeyLock so that I could access the function that I wanted. Three keystrokes just to get to a function on the 650. In contrast, with the 7135 I just flip the clamshell open and I tap the function I want. I found this KeyLock feature provided enough cognitive friction (can you say "annoyance") that it negatively affected my experience enough that I was happy to hand the 650 back over to the Verizon manager at my local store. Note: The KeyLock feature can be disabled, but without a clamshell you really wouldn't want to do so because of the potential for unintentional dialing or accessing of features.

6) The 650 comes with no belt clip or case. Consequently you have to purchase one. There are some really nice ones out there. I purchased an Italian leather case on eBay. It had a clear soft plastic guard that protected the keyboard and screen. This made it harder to touch type and tap with the stylus, but it was still possible to do. So, I found myself routinely taking the 650 out of the pouch so that I could touch type and then having to place it back in its case and reclipping it on to my belt after using it. What a hassle. Also, the particular case was designed to leave the camera lens uncovered on the 650. This was a good thing as many of the leather cases did not provide this opening. Even so, the case did not leave adequate room for the headphone plug to be accessible. After fiddling with the headphone plug, I was able to get the plug into the jack. But the pressure from the case constantly dislodged the plug from the jack just enough to keep the ear bud portion of the head set working, but the microphone was not working. Needless to say, this resulted in many phone calls where my callees were saying "hello, are you there?" and in more than one instance hanging up because I was unaware that the mic had ceased to work.

Final Analysis
    -----------------
    I had hoped that the 650 would live up to is much-heralded reputation. It does deliver several features (speed, updated OS and user interface, camera) that are far superior to the 7135. However, as a software designer myself, I know that having more/better features does not equate to value. The value that I had come to appreciate with my 7135 of a courteous, well-designed and conceived product, that facilitated my usage goals was TOTALLY lost in the 650. For people who appreciate the relative ease-of-use found in the 7135, you will find yourself struggling with the 650.

From a usability perspective, going from the 7135 to the 650 was like going from using a Mac iBook G3 of a few years ago (with a superior user interface yet slower processor) to Windows 95 with a P4 processor (a noteably inferior user interface running on jet fast processor).

Perhaps there are those of you out there that want the fastest phone available over ease of use. I'm not one of them. The 7135 is still the standard for usability. I only hope that Kyocera retains their lessons learned from the 7135 in the (hopefully soon-to-be-announced) successor to this wonderful device.

I think there may be something wrong with the hardware on your 650 as far as mp3 playack is concerned. I've used both the 7135/bebopper and the 650/pockettunes and the I get no distortion on the 650, it blows the 7135/bebopper away.

surveygold - I have a four day old VZW 650 and switched from a 7135. I have been a very happy 7135 owner but its deficiences finally made me switch. My assessment is preliminary but I am very positive about the switch so far.

The things that annoyed me with my 7135:

- even with up to date firmware, lockups, fatal exceptions, etc.
    - very flat keypad with very slow response time, especially the first digit dialed
    - dark, fuzzy screen
    - slow
    - inconsistent web browsing experience
    - battery life

The things I liked about the 7135
    - convergence (duh!)
    - clamshell design
    - overall very good job by Kyocera
    - good speakerphone

So far I am happy with the Treo. I think the phone features are better than expected. I think if the 7135 keypad was better I might agree more with your assessment. But I hated the flat buttons on the 7135. I am still getting used to the 650 but so far have found dialing numbers reasonably easy and likely to get better as I learn all the shortcuts.

Other items:
    - outstanding display (as you noted). Makes everything better including contacts and calendar.
    - very fast
    - web browser is much better
    - even better speakerphone and control over ringtones etc.
    - slimmer than I expected and fits well in my pocket. But I have to get a case - my side case is on order.
    - disappointed in no cradle supplied
    - documents 2 go works very well
    - tested MP3 and it works well but I won't use it much since I rely on my ipod for that.
    - no comments on the camera yet....
    - no lockups yet. My 7135 crashed in the first 24 hours I used it.

As suggested above, I beamed my contacts over. Since this was a bit of a major upgrade I felt it would be wise to start fresh on my PC.

I miss the clamshell design...the LCD caller ID was nice. I think the 7135 was a better phone, but for me the 650 is the better device overall, as I am more interested in the palm applications than the phone.

Re: 7135 to 650

Going back to dkien's original question....

I upgraded from a 7135 to 650 too. I just installed Palm desktop on top of the existing Palm directory (making a backup copy of it first). Then I hotsynced to the new 650, like the directions tell you to. And everything worked without a hitch.

Dave