+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

PoFolks' T650 QNC and 1X VZW Network Setup 101

After staying up and FINALLY getting it to work solid, I offer for your consideration, the following:

Hereafter, qnc refers to qnc/Quick2net/14.4/etc. (please don't say "dialup," heh).
    1X Refers to 1XRTT, National Access, Express Network, EN,56K,140K etc.

I did this with my phone OFF. The network prefs seemed more cooperative, but you can do either. It also makes sure you are not currently connected.

Statements (in parentheses) are not to be typed in. Also quotes "" are to be ignored, don't enter them, just use what's in between them

Goto SYSTEM
    Goto PREFS
    Select NETWORK
    Press the MENU button
    Select NEW (you can't change the default one)
    Name the service as you wish (QNC, EN, 1X, Test), whatever
    > CONNECTION as Virtual Modem
    > USERNAME:
    > For qnc, username = "qnc"
    > For 1X, username = "2125551212@vzw3g.com" (your 10 digit phone number @vzw3g.com)
    > PASSWORD = "vzw"
    > PHONE# = "#777"
    [Details] button
    > IDLE TIMEOUT = 1 Minute (more causes problems on the T650, and this keeps your phone from being connected all day, as it timed out after being idle for a minute)
    [Advanced] button
    > IP ADDRESS: [x] Automatic
    > Query DNS [x]
    * Do NOT enter any script. The network service doesn't care and can get confused anyway. The 7135 used scripts differently.
    [Ok]
    [Ok]
    [Done]

Make sure the service you want to use is selected (the one(s) you just made).

Exit Network Prefs

Do a soft reset. If unsure how to do this, unwrap your manual from it's shrinkwrap coating (I know you didn't open it before ), and look on page 154.

Open the built in Blazer and test. ALSO make sure you UNselect any autoconnect, or your battery and minutes will drain quickly

Both work fine as of this writing. I am in the Southeast USA.

Note: If you are doing the MOU (out of my regular minutes) thing, and do not have Express Network enabled on your account also (not a plan, just the speed), you will only be able to connect to qnc.

Cheers!

Flames, comments, etc. are welcome
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-28-2005 at 05:46 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Are you saying with these steps you can connect and you Do Not have a data plan? Have you dialed #data to make sure they didn't set you up on a pay-as-you-go data plan?

I'm connecting, but I still have reservations about not getting billed for doing this. I hope not.
    Last edited by blues; 05-27-2005 at 10:27 AM.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 -> Palm IIIxe - Treo 650 - Tungsten T3

Just to be clear...I don't need to do this if I have a data plan, right? I assumed that the VZW T650 was automatically configured to use 1x network.

Correct Beef Jerky. This is for people that are used to having data time taken from their minutes. If you are paying for a data plan then you're good to go.

Copasetic - you're the man! It works! =) =)

How did you figure it out - just trying every possible combination?

Now, vzw better not read this thread...!

Addendum:

Yes, if you corrently HAVE a data plan, ignore this stuff. It is superfluous, unless you just want to learn how to do it.

If you don't, you will burn your normal usage minutes as if you were makig a phone call. (i.e. if you are at 500 of your 500 minutes and check weather.gov, you just went over

This means your regular rates apply: roaming, nights and weekends, peak, off-peak, etc. in fact, if you #646 under this, you won't show any data usage if you don't have a data plan.

Advice: Seems a lot of folks call tech support to get this workng, but don't yell to VZW about this, they have enough reason to kill this as it is, and its days are numbered already, BUT--- there are a lot of phones out there with "Mobile Web" (which we don't need), who don't have data plans. But not having one is not the norm, so they WANT you to get one. Profit is gained from making $, not giving things away. It's not illegal, but for VZW has proved to be a less profitable marketing strategy.
    That said, IF you leave your phone connected and surfing all weekend, or connected to a laptop as a server, I can be 99% certain you WILL be flagged, audited, and removed from MOU. In fact, they discourage this practice even if you have the unlimited data.
    Then again, this is the only thing that comes close to Sprint's Free data thing, so maybe not

To Blues: I spent 2 years with a 7135 under the same account setup, and the only problems I had were trying to connect to 1X when I was roaming, and it wasn't available, and had to manually select qnc (I have both working ok atm). Other times, the phone forgets to hang up the connection, using my battery and minutes. This is usually due to roaming as well, and I could always tell because the 7135 LED would stay on, and the phone got a bit warm, hee hee.
    Note that under 1X (even with national access), the phone is not technically "connected" all the time, as it's *packets* of data, instead of a constant stream. This not only saves radiation on you, and battery time, I have a hunch that it saves minutes as well when the thing isn't sending and receiving data. You can tell because it reconnects if you don't change web pages fast enough, so it must hang up also. This will take some more research though.

As for how I discovered it, it was both staying up with my 7135 closeby, some common sense. I also made a creative, respectful call to WDTS which it seems is going to result in a new Treo, mine has an intermittent problem. I was able to take the bits of info and fill in the gaps

I am just glad to be able to offer something useful to you all, as I have gained more from pdaphonehome (SmartPhoneSource) than I will ever get in return.

Last edited by Copasetic; 05-27-2005 at 02:03 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

can some tell me what MOU stands for?

MOU= Minutes Of Use

Program Verizon had where your data minutes were taken from voice minutes.

One of the rationales for moving from QNC is that the connection allegedly was staying open, and thus burning minutes.

Is this a real issue? If so, how do you work around that?

In some cases the connection could of been left on and burned minutes, but most of us didn't have a problem disconnecting by using the network manager. You can also get Battery Doctor with will terminate an idle connection after a set amount of time.

Personally I can keep track of how much surfing I've done by knowing the time I've been online, rather that the amount of Kb I've used. I guess it will get better with VZW makes checking data minutes closer to real time.

Well if you have 1X, this way or any other, it disconnects itself automagically. I am going to look for that Battery Doctor. It sounds like a neat idea.

The OTHER option is to install another browser, which would have that option in preferences. Sadly I have not seen one that offers the stability BL4.x has, and for Treo users, well we can't beat the price

Now if I can just figure out what the symbols are for timed pause and "press a key" pause are, I'll be set (for the weekend at least, ROTFL)

I don't think my phone likes me. I tried both ways (Express and qnc) and received the following

Error: Please check your username and password and try again.
    Your service provider may not support dial-up connections.

Ugh!

P.S. Does the fact that I have a 1x that shows up on my phone screen mean that Express Network is enabled and if not, will calling Verizon to tell them to turn this on change my billing in any way if I don't go over my minutes?

Originally posted by lawcomic
    One of the rationales for moving from QNC is that the connection allegedly was staying open, and thus burning minutes.

Is this a real issue? If so, how do you work around that?
    This is the partial reason for setting the timeout to no more than 1 minute. You all test it and see, but my qnc now lets go after 1 minute of idle time. 1X did anyway.

Originally posted by duugg
    I don't think my phone likes me. I tried both ways (Express and qnc) and received the following

Ugh!

P.S. Does the fact that I have a 1x that shows up on my phone screen mean that Express Network is enabled and if not, will calling Verizon to tell them to turn this on change my billing in any way if I don't go over my minutes?
    Actually, that only means that you are in an area that supports 1x. If EN isn't enabled on your account, you can't access it, even out of your plan minutes. Note that here I am referring to ACCESS, not to any sort of plan. They gotta turn EN on if you are ever to get to use it under any circumstances. Used to be, if you had a PDA or smartphone, they'd do it for you. Nowadays, I doubt this is fer anyone and everyone, but who knows?
    Check your entries again. What did you enter for each of the spots? THe password box will say "- Assigned -" if you got it right. It's all too easy to get typing fuddled with those small keys if you are not paying attention Also if they set you up with "Mobile Web," as some have had, get it removed, as you don't need it and it can confuse your Treo.
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-28-2005 at 05:47 AM.

I did call Verizon and confirmed that Express Network is enabled. They tried hard to get me onto a Data-Plan. I explained that I didn't want that right now, and the vz rep said that he was at least going to have to put me onto Pay-as-you-go but after some time, he gave in by not changing anything, but said that all plans with data capable phones will be audited soon anyway though, and when that happens we will all have to have at least Pay as you go. I definetely want to avoid calling them on this again!

I also did check on both the setups listed above. I actually did have the 1x setting wrong (forgot to add the g in 'vzw3g.com' ).
    I had the qnc setting right.

I corrected the 1x setting by adding the g
    Re-confirmed the qnc setting and I'm still getting the same message...

Am I the only one who can't get this to work?
    Am I missing something?
    What does my error message above tell you?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Slave to all that beeps Halitosis's Avatar
    1) Copasetic: You are the man. I can't believe I was too stupid to just try and create a new connection instead of beating my head against editing the old one.

2) Now that you have been given "da' man" status, I am suspicious. The only differences between QNC and 1x is the login? Would this not mean that Verizon can still detect the data calls, and thus bill your account?

3) I am not a troll... nor do I enjoy throwing fuel on nearby fires.... (nor do I linger and rubber-neck at traffic accidents)... but I called VZW again yesterday, to just double-check that I was indeed on an MOU plan. What I found out was that the PREVIOUS rep I talked to was flat lying through her teeth. My plan is a "pay as you go", which for verizon's purposes/mentality is the "MOU" plan. The original "MOU" plan is gone. It no longer exists. The rep actually read back to me the note that the previous rep had posted... "Customer wanted to be placed on plan he had previously.... customer understands ramifications of 'pay as you go' data plan."

The original rep that logged call ASSURED me that we were talking about MOU... that this was coming out of my minutes... etc etc. It was a flat out lie. They SAID MOU, then just planted me on a "pay as you go" data plan.

I suspect that MOU just plain doesnt' exist anymore... and once that door is shut, you can't open it again.

(And for OUR purposes, we should probabaly refer to these plans as MOU vs KOU or something... to make some sort of distinction that Verizon won't).

I know that MOU USED TO exist... I was on it with my 7135. And my minutes were docked accordingly.

However... with a KOU plan planted on my account, I am HIGHLY suspicious now that QNC won't also accrue towards your KOU.

I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong.... and I will give this a shot and let you know what I find... (being very careful not to rack up too much time... 1Meg = $15.00 @ .015/k... OUCH).

Thanks again, Copasetic... if I thought I could package it correctly, I would fed-ex one of my home-brews to you.

Halitosis

I am honoured, thank you. I wonder what would happen if you said you didn't want *ANY* plan at all? I mean, no Data plan whatsoever? In effect that's all qnc is. Add Express Network (Access, not plan), and you are back where you were. Fact is, there are LOTS of Web enabled phones out there who don't have data plans (as they are useless to them), and YET they DO have Express Network running out of their usage minutes. They just have to pay the +/- $4.99 or so for "mobile Web" which we don't need. Like so many, the MOU was an accident, I just followed the advice of so many and never raised an issue about it.

Maybe you need to make friends at the store level. Talking to a new person every time you call is no way to get anywhere with them, since they only see what the last person did (or didn't put in the logs on your account).

And don't call yourself stupid, you didn't arrive at the device you are using by accident
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-28-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Registered User RockStarNewYork's Avatar
    Can you explain this in idiot language for those of us who don't have data plans and don't understand any of this? Thanks!

-Treo idiot!
    Never confuse enthusiasm with arrogance!

Copasetic,
    Sunnuva Gun!
    You did it!
    It works!
    Thank you, thank you!
    I don't plan on using it that much so I should be OK.
    Awesome!
    You the man!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast