+ Reply to Thread

HELP! i DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE ROAMING OR NOT

This is going to seem really stupid but I am having terrible problems with TMO. I can get a signal from Cingular and TMO but the only one I can register with is TMO. The people at TMO give me five different stories, so I really cannot depend upon what they tell me, so maybe somebody here can answer this:

if I hae roaming on my account, should I not be able to go to "Select Network," and pick the Cingular signal (they are both strong here) and sign on to Cingular as roaming? One person on TMO says I should not but another says I should, so I really don't know. I'm not sure how the phone would know, or care much less, whether there was a signal on TMO, but the guy who says I shouldn't be able to do this insists, based on nothing apparently, that as long as there is a TMO signal, I can't roam. But that seems silly because in a lot of places it is must marginal, basically unusueable, and how would the phone then know? I think if I actually select Cingular it should sign on. Instead it says it cannot register. I cannot go to a low or no TMO signal place from here so I won't know until after I've gone on a trip where, if I'm right, it will be too late.

Can somebody tell me whether it should be possible to select one network over the other in any event? Thanks, it would be a huge help to have the answer to this.

Well, 40 views later and still no reply, here is what I have learned and it's not encouraging: apparently it does not matter whether your signal is low or not, you don't get to automatically roam. You only get to roam if TMO decides that in a particular tower area, their signal might not be present. Then they authorize the Cingular tower to roam with you. Thus, as long as their map shows good coverage, it doesn't matter if (as is true in my case) you are in a buildling where there is either very little or even no TMO coverage despite the fact that generally it is in a good TMO area. As long as they decide the area is good coverage, you don't get to roam. Period. Basically, I think that really sucks and is close to fraudulent in terms of their saying that you get "nationwide roaming." It's far far less than that. As a result I don't really know if I have roaming, and wont know whether they have fixed my international service until I get there, in which case it will be a little late.