+ Reply to Thread

Advatages of Cingular vs. Verizon

I am a Kyo 7135 user on Verizon, BUT b/c I see the Treo 650 real cheap on wirefly I am thinking about jumping. Haven't been a Verizon customer long enought to get a discount.

What are the advantages or disadvatages to making that jump?

I tried to search this and it was just to vast.

Can anyone help?

js

Ok here one thing to think about on verizon network the 600/650 will only work on the digital network. were on cingular 600/650 will work on all the of gsm net no need for analog network. Your 7135 had digital and analog the 600/650 does not.

Thanks, app. Anyone else. I am feeling lonley here.... So there is a chance that I might have better coverage w/ the Treo on Cingulars network.

The price $219 is just SOOO right. I love verizon but I love gadgets more.

What do you think of the MEdia Net on Cingular??

Originally posted by appliancemedic
    Ok here one thing to think about on verizon network the 600/650 will only work on the digital network. were on cingular 600/650 will work on all the of gsm net no need for analog network. Your 7135 had digital and analog the 600/650 does not.
    Its not like the GSM network is an all comprehensive network that covers everywhere and doesn't need analog. it is a digital network as well and has its coverage gaps just like Verizon's network. In fact, many believe CDMA coverage (what Verizon uses) is far more comprehensive in the US than GSM (what Cingular uses). Verizon has roaming agreements with other CDMA carriers (just like Cingular has roaming agreements with the other GSM carriers) so you get access to other CDMA networks when there is no Verizon coverage available. The fact of the matter is, neither version of the 650 suports analog, only digital and because of that, you will always have coverage gaps no matter who is your service provider. But none of that really matters, the only thing that you need to figure out is who has the best coverage where you will us the phone the most, that's the bottom line.

Thanks Marty. Doese anyone have any experience w/ Cingular coverage in the No. Va. Washington DC Metro area? Anyone? Anyone??

Beauler? Beauler??

well, things are different in No. VA since Cingular has been there a long time (relatively), but if you come further south to the richmond and hampton roads areas, you will find your service deteriorates drastically. That part of the network was purchased by Cingular from SunCom, which was perhaps one of the worst companies in this area from a network maintenance standpoint.

Ok I will agree that both phones are digital but went you look at the Cingular map that is a digital map. Verizon map shows coverage in some areas that is not digital but analog.

Thanks Mike!

Originally posted by appliancemedic
    Ok I will agree that both phones are digital but went you look at the Cingular map that is a digital map. Verizon map shows coverage in some areas that is not digital but analog.
    If you are going off of coverage maps, there is a lot more dark red on Verizon's map (Verizon's digital coverage) than dark orange (Cingular's digital coverage) on Cingualr's map.

http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2...ayName=America's%20Choice

http://www.cingular.com/cingular_advantage (map link located at the bottom)

Regardless, it doesn't really make a difference, the maps are obviously generated by the carriers which makes them unreliable in any event. Its impossible to make a blanket statement that one carrier is going to have better coverage than another for any given person because every carrier has their good and bad coverage spots, so to say that there is no need for analog when you go with Cingular is just plain wrong (based on those maps, Cingular may need the analog support more than Verizon, but again, can't trust the maps). The best way to go about deciding the carrier of choice is to simply see who has the best coverage in your area, and that is just going to vary from area to area and from person to person.

Don't forget the other bonus of GSM phones. If you don't feel like carrying around a nerd anchor, you can get a small unlocked GSM phone and just flip out your simcard.

#2 You have a fighting chance of using your phone outside the US (It may be expensive but at least you have something) If you get your phone unlocked from palmone (not the $219 with cingular) you could use any prepaid sim card with your treo.

Yeah, as far as carrier coverage, all of LA is red for Verizon. I have great coverage for Verzion except for two places, My house and My office
    (Actually after EVDO rollout I am now covered at both) but it illustrates the point.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

of course, you can also always have a second CDMA handset and just call up Verizon when you want to switch to it (can change ESN's up to three times a day)... Sure it takes a phone call so it's not as quick as flipping a SIM card, but you can still do it. As for using it overseas, it's cheaper to just buy a prepaid phone when you get there than pay Cingular for international roaming...

Originally posted by MikeM
    well, things are different in No. VA since Cingular has been there a long time (relatively), but if you come further south to the richmond and hampton roads areas, you will find your service deteriorates drastically. That part of the network was purchased by Cingular from SunCom, which was perhaps one of the worst companies in this area from a network maintenance standpoint.
    Where I live, it was the other way around...part of the network was purchased FROM Cingular BY SunCom, which we are told here is basically the leftovers of the Cingular AT&T Merger. IT's been nothing short of H*ll too, because Cingular turned on their new towers 1 week ahead of schedule, leaving all the SunCom folks without service (They of course blamed SunCom for it). Cingular couldn't have planned a better strategy than that if they had wanted their old customers back, it was brilliant, but n accident (or was it???).

Don't fall for the GSM vs. CDMA mess either. The comment that Europe is all GSM is a well worn marketing ploy. CDMA is in Europe too, and invading at a ridiculous pace and has been there for a while now. Also, GSM in Europe is mostly GSM2 which I don't know if StateSide phones support (yet?). T-Mobile folks can confirm this. Either way, the suggestion that you rent one overseas is still the best.
    I have seen them (GSM versus CDMA) justify each for 10E+45 reasons. Then again, Verizon (and I bet others) has that WorldPhone that does CDMA, TDMA, GSM 1&2 out of the box. "It's like having 5 phones in one", heh. THen there is NexTel, which is not TDMA nor CDMA nor GSM, hee hee...

I am south of you, and Cingular isn't too well thought of by people I am around. In fact, I saw more people switch FROM Cingular after the merger than ever before...(IN the Verizon store) VeriZon gets blamed for not fixing billing issues, (though they always do for me), and Cingular folks complain that they can't make calls their homes o.0. My main criteria was this: "If I can make a call from EVERYWHERE I usually go, I will pay for/switch to your service. Period." I will never say VeriZon is the best for anyone, and it may not even be for me. Why? It has to be a personal thing. If you can't make calls, who cares? It comes down to people, and how I am treated as a customer that matters. OK, I admit it. Getting Treo at a discount sure helped Talk to them, threaten to switch since you are new make them EARN and KEEP your business...You might get them into a pricing war,
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Registered User RockStarNewYork's Avatar
    when you are in a no service zone with cingular, you have no service- period. they don't roam. my friend who lives in nyc said that she can't get service in central park. i wonder what happens when she dares to venture out into the 'burbs. i wouldn't want to be caught stranded w/o service, would you?
    Never confuse enthusiasm with arrogance!

Originally posted by RockStarNewYork
    when you are in a no service zone with cingular, you have no service- period. they don't roam. my friend who lives in nyc said that she can't get service in central park. i wonder what happens when she dares to venture out into the 'burbs. i wouldn't want to be caught stranded w/o service, would you?
    wouldn't want to be caught stranded w/o service, would you? my survey says... no...