+ Reply to Thread

Re: Real deal on VZW Treo 650 and data

I just bought a Treo 650 from PalmOne online. I'm expecting to get it within 2-3 weeks, and plan to activate it using the online ESN changer. I have an ACI Family Share plan with 450 minutes to share, unlimited IN, and unlimited N&W. I just want a PDA/phone combo (I'm a medical professional that uses Palm OS programs for quick medical reference and patient tracking and MS Office editing, in addition to regular Palm OS calendar, to do, memo, and contact management).

My data usage: DO NOT check e-mail, DO NOT use the internet, and most likely WILL NOT use pix messaging (since this thing has a SD expansion card with desktop pix hotsync). Just to check: regular text (SMS) messages are NOT a data feature, right?

I don't want to sign up for a data plan, but I don't want to disable data on my account either. I'm hearing a lot about background synching with the Treo 650 that runs up data usage, and I don't plan on configuring versamail or wireless sync (what is this anyway?) when I start using my Treo. What's the truth regarding data charges, and what changes will be made to my account (if any) when I change my ESN online to the Treo? If there's the possiblity that my data charges will run up, even with me not touching e-mail, internet, or MMS messages, I'm just going to call and tell CS to disable all data use on my account.

Thanks ahead of time... this Treo data confusion is making my head spin.

SMS is seperate from Data.

If you don't config any mail program or wireless sync, nothing automatic can or will ever happen. The idiots at Verizon just recite that automatic script to scare everyone into at least getting the $5 Sync plan, which most people won't need or even understand.

My advice, get the pay as you go so you CAN use a small amount of data if you ever really want or need to (realizing that the KBs mount up more quickly than you might think and at 1.5 cents per you gotta watch it).

Then, if you have access to one, you can set up a new Service type to do a 14.4K ISP dialup, which will use minutes.
    Last edited by rlwhitt; 06-03-2005 at 07:21 AM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I tried to use the online esn changer, just like you are anticipating, and was not able to. You have to add a data plan or it won't go through.

I ended up going to my local Verizon store and had them set it up. And also gave them a little third degree ( albit nicely ) about their data charges.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 -> Palm IIIxe - Treo 650 - Tungsten T3

Online ESM seems hit or miss from what I've been reading... works for some, not for others. I don't know if maybe it has something to do with if you're on ACI vs. ACII, since ACI users still have MOU on their account??? Dunno... I have a contact in my regional headquarters/executive office that I've discussed the Treo 650 and data plans with... so if all else fails, they're getting another phone call.

Thanks for all of your responses... keep this one going if any new info pops up

If you get a treo 650, why is the data plan so expensive? The treo doesn't have the ability to download at ev-do speeds, so It is not that fast, sprint's data plan is much cheaper. I am no longer under contract with sprint, so I am shopping around.
    I300 -> I330 -> I500 -> PPC 6700 -> Mogul (ppc 6800) ->???

Originally posted by BUmmedic
    Online ESM seems hit or miss from what I've been reading... works for some, not for others. I don't know if maybe it has something to do with if you're on ACI vs. ACII, since ACI users still have MOU on their account??? Dunno... I have a contact in my regional headquarters/executive office that I've discussed the Treo 650 and data plans with... so if all else fails, they're getting another phone call.

Thanks for all of your responses... keep this one going if any new info pops up
    I activated my VZW T650 via the Online ESN function. I am on AC1.

I then called into VZW to verify what would be done about a dataplan. (I don't use Data myself), but like you, I was concerned w/ my T650 linking up on its own. I too was on a MOU option previously- never used that either.

I was advised that by doing my activation online, my acct defaulted to the MOU type dealy. The rep advised I could keep it that way if I wished, but he went on to advise me that the people who stuck w/ that option would be the most-likely to end up w/ surprisingly high bills.

I asked if there was a way to just flat disable any data capability, & the rep tried to access the codes for the T650 to do that. He never found them. W/ that in mind, he said my best bet would be to go w/ the PPU Data plan- which I did. He went on to assure me that the T650 cannot link up by itself, w/out the user confirming that it's ok to do so. Those were his words not mine.

HTH...

Wiggy,

Did he explain why users who stick with MOU would most likely be the ones that got stuck with really high bills (considering he did say that the Treo would not background connect on it's own)???

I was told (by my executive CS contact) that data plans are not required on Treo accounts, and that I could use my e-mail/internet capabilities during peak hours occassionally (not constant use... that's what data plans are for) and use only my plan minutes (I'm assuming this was confirmation of MOU without actually saying the words), but that if the software monitoring my account (yes, they do have this capability I was told) detected a lot of off peak use (which is when a lot of MOU customers really rack up the minutes), then I would either be 1) defaulted to a data plan, or 2) have my service (data) cut off and disabled until I chose a data option.

With all of the conflicting information that's been floating around regarding this issue, I'm still taking all of this with a grain of salt, but that's directly from the horse's mouth as of a few weeks ago. I wrote them an e-mail regarding my intention of buying a 650 and my concern regarding data charges (since I'm not planning on using the data features at all... just want a PDA/phone combo).

I just got back from my local Verizon store... they would NOT sell me a 650 w/o a data plan.

I currently have a 7135, which is getting wonky so Verizon is sending me a free 600 as a replacement. I specifically asked the CSR on the phone, who issued me the 600, if I can keep my same plan where data time is taken out of my minutes. (I pay 4.99/month for this ability). I was told yes and that nothing would change.

I don't really want the 600 and would rather have the 650 which is why I went to the store today. The manager there said none of the Treo's can be sold without a data plan.

I think I've actually connected to the internet maybe 5 times in the past year to check email while I was on a trip. I basically don't even need the ability but I do like having the option available for times when I'm nowhere near a computer.

For sake of argument though, I told the manager I bought my 7135 simply because I needed a pda/phone combo and that a data connection was never an issue or requirement.... and certainly not one I want to pay for (in regards to their data plans being shoved down my throat).

He then said Verizon didn't offer a solution for my particular case (the need of only a pda/phone combo) and reitterated that both Treos must be sold with data plans.

So I have one CSR (from the data dept no less) telling me that at least the 600 can be used with my current plan while a manager of a store is telling me that the 600 and 650 cannot. This along with all the posts on this thread and similars ones... I'm pretty lost with all the conflicting info, data confusion, and general uncertainty.

Welcome to the club... we're all pretty lost right now, and until we get a lot of definitive information (most likely in the form of people getting large bills), we won't know for sure. However, I would believe CS more than a store manager... I have a feeling that central CS employees receive more frequent and updated training than off-site managerial staff... plus, this goes with what I was told by executive CS.

Originally posted by tneck22
    If you get a treo 650, why is the data plan so expensive? The treo doesn't have the ability to download at ev-do speeds, so It is not that fast, sprint's data plan is much cheaper. I am no longer under contract with sprint, so I am shopping around.
    We don't know. Maybe it's marketing, but it's been this way for ages. What's more, Sprint is using Verizon's EV-DO so they have something to sell until EV-DV is ready, so go figure. I do know that that VZW T650 offers a few features that I was not aware were available on my ol' 7135, such as free (well, ok, included) wireless sync, and some others that are said to be specific to the 650. Otherwise, I have no clue.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    Then, if you have access to one, you can set up a new Service type to do a 14.4K ISP dialup, which will use minutes.
    Wait, are you telling me that if I have access to an ISP dial-up service I can just program this new connection and use net/e-mail features through that?

My undergrad school has an old backup dial-up access number that's free as long as you have a valid username and login. That may be perfect for those occasional e-mail checks if I can do it.

This was possible with a Treo 600 and the Kyocera 7135. It appears to be blocked on the Treo 650. With ONE exception (A RoadRunner dialup user with a script) no one has been able to report a dial-up connection with a Treo 650.

There are several posts on this topic on this site, and some smart people are working on how to enable this feature. For now, people sign up for PAYG (Pay As You Go) and connect using:

Username: qnc
    Passcode: qnv
    Number: #777

We have been TOLD that this method only uses MINUTES, and does not create a charge for moving data. To date, we have been UNABLE to confirm this by receipt of a bill....but, in about 30 days or so we'll all know when we either get a nice surprise, or get a HUGE BILL.

Looks like QNC will cost $$$

Check this post out:

I got my first Verizon bill after getting my 650

It looks like the qnc users are getting hosed.

Originally posted by BUmmedic
    Wiggy,

Did he explain why users who stick with MOU would most likely be the ones that got stuck with really high bills (considering he did say that the Treo would not background connect on it's own)???

I was told (by my executive CS contact) that data plans are not required on Treo accounts, and that I could use my e-mail/internet capabilities during peak hours occassionally (not constant use... that's what data plans are for) and use only my plan minutes (I'm assuming this was confirmation of MOU without actually saying the words), but that if the software monitoring my account (yes, they do have this capability I was told) detected a lot of off peak use (which is when a lot of MOU customers really rack up the minutes), then I would either be 1) defaulted to a data plan, or 2) have my service (data) cut off and disabled until I chose a data option.

With all of the conflicting information that's been floating around regarding this issue, I'm still taking all of this with a grain of salt, but that's directly from the horse's mouth as of a few weeks ago. I wrote them an e-mail regarding my intention of buying a 650 and my concern regarding data charges (since I'm not planning on using the data features at all... just want a PDA/phone combo).
    Unfortunately, no further info divulged!!!

Nope, I am not the only one that can do this. There have been numerous posts about this on TreoCentral. It's not just RoandRunner either.

Originally posted by jcarlosfox
    This was possible with a Treo 600 and the Kyocera 7135. It appears to be blocked on the Treo 650. With ONE exception (A RoadRunner dialup user with a script) no one has been able to report a dial-up connection with a Treo 650.

There are several posts on this topic on this site, and some smart people are working on how to enable this feature. For now, people sign up for PAYG (Pay As You Go) and connect using:

Username: qnc
    Passcode: qnv
    Number: #777

We have been TOLD that this method only uses MINUTES, and does not create a charge for moving data. To date, we have been UNABLE to confirm this by receipt of a bill....but, in about 30 days or so we'll all know when we either get a nice surprise, or get a HUGE BILL.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.