+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I got my first Verizon bill after getting my 650

I upgraded my phone to a Verizon Treo 650 and therefore a Data Plan was added to my account. I'm on PAYG. While researching how to get around these charges, I searched this forum and others and came across Copasetic's thread about adding a QnC network to our network settings. I did not connect to the National Access plan at all, so these charges are only for using QnC as posted here.

Kilobyte Usage 248kb $3.71

After being able to connect to the internet with our 7135's and Treo 600's by only using our minutes, all of us are wondering how to advert these extra charges. As of yet, I haven't found a way around this. My guess is, there isn't a way. Alot of us gave up and added an extra ~$24 or ~$45 to our Verizon bills for just Data, but I was hoping not to have to do that.

As our bills start comming in, has anyone connected to the internet with their Verizon Treo 650's and not get charged for Data usage? If so, how did you do it?
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 -> Palm IIIxe - Treo 650 - Tungsten T3

I've used 12kbs so far, all with qnc. My billing period ends in a few days, so I'll find out soon.
    I am on ACII (was changed from ACI when I got the 650) and to my knowledge, do NOT have any type of data plan.

I'm receiving my Treo 650 soon (fingers crossed), and I am currently on an AC I Family Share plan. I am planning on switching ESN's online and calling Verizon only to add insurance to my account (never had it before, but paranoid that something will happen to my new $500 investment). I have read that some people on ACI were given the option to stay on plans with MOU, but encouraged to take PAYG because those with MOU "would most like be the ones ending up with high bills." I don't understand this since you should pay the same rate ($0.015/kb) on MOU if they monitor and charge your use as you would on PAYG. I'm eager to hear what people have been seeing on their bills. I don't plan to use the data features of the Treo, but don't want to disable all data use in case I really need it one day. I just don't want to pay a monthly fee nor (as I've been hearing people being told) charged for background connections that we don't know are happening. I don't plan on even configuring my e-mail program (which I understand is wireless sync on Verizon-branded Treo's rather than versamail). Any additional info or insight is greatly appreciated

Is there a monthly charge just to have PAYG? I only see the two data plans ($49.99 and $29.99) on the Verizon site. I don't even see PAYG listed.

Like currently, on my 7135 I pay 4.99/mo for MOU... whether I use it or not. Just trying to get this all straight before I make the 650 switch.

There is no monthly fee for PAYG, but it's not MOU, and it'll cost you $0.015 per KB (which equals $15 per MB) transferred.

I think I'm one of the few for whom PAYG will be a completely acceptable option. In fact, I will save the 4.99/mo I'm currently paying for MOU on my 7135. Of course I will get raked over the coals with that obnoxious $15/meg rate when I do need to get online... but since it's only extremely rare instances... I should fair ok.

Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat as you, splitfinger. I don't need to spend much time online with this Treo, but it's nice to connect in a pinch.

Once I can replace my laptop with my smartphone, than I'll need constant online access. Not until then.

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to think that this is the best option for me, too... no need for everyday access, but in a pinch, would like it to be there

Can someone please tell me how does pay as you go work, I was told if I get pay as you go, by the end of the month I may get a hugh 300 dollars phone bill, so the verizon cs rep advised me that I should go with the unlimited plan. He also stated the treo 650 will try to connect to the internet every 15 MIN.

Your Treo should ask you before connecting. It's simply untrue that it tries to connect every 15 minutes.

PAYG works by keeping track of how much you download. You get charged 0.015 cents per kilobite. That is about $15 per meg.

I believe the connect every 15 minutes is a feature of wireless sync (if you configure wireless sync on your Treo and create a wireless sync account online at www.wirelesssync.vzw.com), where the program syncs with your Treo to push new e-mail and sync contacts, calendar, tasks, etc.

If you don't configure wireless sync e-mail on your Treo or create an account online, I don't think the constant syncing is a problem. I may be wrong, so definitely call CS about this. People are just now starting to get bills, so we're going to find out really quickly what the real deal is...

Not good...

I am showing a >300min data connection on my SmartPhoneTools readout after receiving a message earlier today (a txt reply to a multimedia msg I had previously sent).

Even though I have Battery Doctor (which was supposed to close my data connections after 1 min idle), it racked up those mins. It must have turned on the connection in a way that Battery Doctor couldn't help me. I used the instructions that started this thread, btw.

Don't think I can confirm with Verizon right now because of the delay in minutes calculation, but if Verizon confirms the lost mins tomorrow, I'm hoping to get cust srvc to remove the charged airtime. That stinks, but I guess I'm ready to give up like the others.

I don't see any $20/mo plan with Sprint either.. both Sprint and Cingular appear expensive also when I look at their web pages. Not to mention switching costs for cancelling the Verizon contract and buying a competitor's Treo. That means to me that my options are get an expensive Verizon data plan or dump the Treo. Both options sound painful to me!

Can I turn off data services completely (is that possible?). Quite the shame, but maybe a legit option.

Am I looking at this right, or missing the mark? What are others deciding?

And now I'm even more confused... maybe I didn't even get charged mins?

The rep just told me I have 33peak/37offpeak total mins used with the last call reported being 5:36pm, which is after the data connection in question.

He said the information can be delayed up to 7 days in some cases, primarily if not using a Verizon tower. I was away from home, so that's a possibility, I guess.

This is such a nightmare that I'm probably going to pay the $45/mo unlimited just so I can get peace of mind and forget about all this once and for all! Even so... I may wait 7 days in case I have to fight with cust srvc and use the unlimited plan signup as leverage to remove previous charges.

My recommendation to people considering a smartphone right now... either plan on an unlimited data contract or forget about it completely. The technology and support system are just not ready for real live customers.

It gets weirder and weirder. Just called Verizon to cave in and get the $25/mo data plan.

The rep told me that:

1) The 10meg/mo for $25 plan is only available to business customers, not to me. Therefore my only data plan option was $45/mo unlimited.

2) He, therefore, recommend that I get a voice plan with more minutes and stick with MOU billing, which he called the "pay as you go plan". He guaranteed that it would not depend on # of bytes, just minutes used.

I asked him to write that on my case notes. This is not exactly customer friendly. I still think I have to get a data plan, and may have to fight with cust srvc over airtime minutes from that data connection that stayed open. Not what I had in mind when I bought the phone! The carriers are definitely not ready for the technology yet.

I'm still waiting for my 600 to come (replacement for my ailing 7135). After I get the 600, I plan to get the 650. I figure in another week or so I'll have the 650 and was hoping the data issues would be resolved... or at least understood by then. Unlikely.

I called yesterday to see why my 600, which was supposed to arrive on Monday, still hasn't. It wasn't even shipped yet. Fantastic.

I figured since I was on the phone w/ the data dept I'd bring up the data situation to see what kind of answer I would get this time. I think I have in my head that all this confusion can't possibly continue and there will be a memo from VZW HQ educating staff properly... or something. Anyway, I started by mentioning how I have MOU on my 7135. The data CSR cut me off and said I have PAYG on my account. I've had MOU since I got my 7135 over a year ago and have never even heard of PAYG until last week, when researching the 650 and seeing this data mess. He looked further and found I have both PAYG and MOU. I asked if I made a data connection right now, via QNC, how would I be billed. He quoted me the obnoxious PAYG rate. So I just sat there wondering if he actually knew what he was talking about, if I actually had PAYG and if so, for how long... and more importantly... if so, why am I paying $4.99/mo for MOU I can't utilize?

With every communication with a Verizon employee, I am further exposed to a lack of consistant information.

It's disturbing.

just call 866-788-9387 opt 2 opt 2 and get all your answers already.

Re: I got my first Verizon bill after getting my 650

Originally posted by blues
    After being able to connect to the internet with our 7135's and Treo 600's by only using our minutes, all of us are wondering how to advert these extra charges.
    I found the best way was to switch to Sprint. They had the 650 before Verizon
    - my phone now actually works in my house
    - $15 unlimited data plan
    - no password voicemail checking
    - supports bluetooth DUN via patch
    - earlier nights and weekends
    - more minutes for the same money.

s**tload of incentives and money back for switchin carrier and got to keep our phone numbers

5MB Free on Verizon

When I got my 650 last month on Verizon they had a special promotion of 5MB data per month for free. That's what I'm using and it's all I need since I'm not syncing over the air that often.

I am with tabutler. I've been with Sprint for many years and they have always been decent on the phone with maybe one or two exceptions. I pay $10 for unlimited data and messaging. At $15 it is still a great value compared to Verizon. In Massachusetts Sprint has excellent coverage and it gets better every year. I only wish Sprint would come out with a great introductory plan when they introduce EV-Do in Mass.

I've also heard and someone can tell me if I am wrong that after the contract period Verizon will increase the rates. Sprint has always grandfathered the rates.

To the best of my knowledge, Verizon cannot raise the rates after your contract period. Certainly, they've never done it to me. In fact, I think that as long as you don't change to a cheaper plan than the one you have (switching to another equal or more expensive plan is ok), they won't even remove the promotional deals you've picked up over the years. I still have some promotions on my account dating from June 2001.
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005