+ Reply to Thread

trying to send email to an aol.com address from my pop account and i get error 550...

it says 550 relaying mail isnt allowed to aol.com
    whats up with that? its a pop account. i can receive from aol but cant send or reply to aol email addresses
    i tried different settings but nothing helped. other mail can be sent but aol.com is casuing problems?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The SMTP server you are using is rejecting your message send. It has nothing to do with POP3. You need to use a different SMTP server.
    Michael

what do u mean different smtp server. can u give an example please
    thanks

What email application are you using and what smtp server address did you configure? POP3 is the protocol used for retrieving email and SMTP is the protocol used to send email. It's possible to use a different server for each.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

WELL I SETUP VERSAMAIL WITH 2 ACCOUNTS. AOL AND BELLSOUTH. AOL IS IMAP AND BELLSOUTH IS POP3. THE BOTH SEEMS TO WORK OK, BUT WHEN I USE BELLSOUTH TO SEND TO AN AOL.COM ADDRESS, I GET ERROR 550 OR 502. WEIRD.

SORRY ABOUT CAPS, I DIDNT REALIZRE TILL IT WAS TOO LATE

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Most ISP's do not allow you to use their SMTP servers from computers or devices that are not directly connected to their networks. That is the case with your handheld. It is a SPAM prevention measure. Instead of using your Bellsouth SMTP server, you should use the server that is provided to you by your cellular service, if they have one. If they don't have one, then I recommend that you sign up for a "Member Account" on the FastMail (www.fastmail.fm) service. With that, you can use their SMTP server from any computer or device that has data access. That's what I use, and it works great.
    Michael