+ Reply to Thread

Re: Verizon Treo 650 NationalAccess

I've almost completely made up my mind to go ahead and jump on the $45/month unlimited data bandwagon. I'm going to be on the road quite a bit this upcoming year and unlimited internet and e-mail access is sounding to start better and better. Let alone, I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it (resulting in large PAYG bills).

Couple of questions though:

1. I don't need to sync my Treo with my computer wirelessly (via wireless sync) and would prefer to leave all of that (calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.)for hotsyncing with the cable/cradle. Can I just leave wireless sync on my Treo and not touch it (ever), or do I have to do something with it? I don't use MS exchange (all of my e-mail checking is done either on the web or with outlook express on my home computers), so the wireless sync push won't do much for me anyway. I'd rather use Versamail and just tell it to check my configured POP3 mail every 30 minutes.

2. I want to check POP3 e-mail accounts and will probably install and try Versamail (since it's included with the phone). CAN I HAVE BOTH VERSAMAIL AND WIRELESS SYNC INSTALLED AT THE SAME TIME (not touching WS and only using VM)??? Also, does VM have the option of leaving messages on the server, and can VM check hotmail?

3. How is the internet through the Treo (page viewability, size, images, downloads, etc.)?

4. Can I tether the Treo to my laptop for net access while on the road (when my eyes get sore from the small screen)? Not planning on massive downloading... again, just e-mail and net access (hofo posting, medical referencing, reading the news... the usual)

Thanks so much... by all means, if someone knows more about wireless sync than I do and can talk me into using it, go ahead. I don't want to have two e-mail programs installed on my Treo, but don't foresee needing the full capabilities of wireless sync (since I DO NOT want to sync contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. wirelessly... still prefer cable hotsyncing for all of that since I'll have my laptop with Palm Desktop with me pretty much everywhere I go). Just want a good POP3 (and hotmail, if possible) e-mail checker and access to the internet (oh yeah, and the occasional MMS message).

THANKS!!!
    Last edited by BUmmedic; 06-08-2005 at 04:31 PM.

I can contribute to 1, 2, and 3 for you...

#1. You can leave the wireless sync app on your Treo. In fact, you can't take it off. Wireless sync can be left alone, and that won't affect anything else your doing.

#2. You can install Versamail and that won't affect Wireless sync. Versamail's settings won't affect other apps.

#3. Browsing the web is convienent, but not very productive unless you browse websites designed for moble devices. Also, moble devices don't have much drive space, so you'll find yourself reentering usernames and passwords, redownloading pages that have been visited reciently, and stuff like that. There is simply no comparison to browsing with your computer.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 -> Palm IIIxe - Treo 650 - Tungsten T3

Thanks.

I'm just not planning on using my Treo as my main e-mail device and would still like to check manually with my laptop/home PC (or available computers at work) regularly (since I tend to store all of my messages on my laptop/home PC). I just want a program that will allow me to check my e-mail when I want to and don't have "regular" internet access (none of this "every 15 minutes and push" stuff). Thanks again.

Treo as a USB modem
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

Treo as a Bluetooth DUN
    http://www.shadowmite.com/

I think your plan of not using Wireless Sync is right for your usage.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I use a Mac and am really interested in anyone that succeeded in tethering their Verizon 650 via the supplied USB cable to OS X (Tiger). The phone does not show up as a USB device - ever. I never had problems with an older Motorola T720. The 650 sync cable has so few pins on the Treo side, I wonder if Verizon crippled that - along with Bluetooth - to prevent users from using the phone as a DUN modem. 'Course, I asked the Verizon people, and they are clueless.

I ordered another cable from Seidio just to see if more pins means regaining lost functionality. But if it doesn't show up as a USB device, there is no way to connect to it from OS X. PDANet, unfortunately, is only for Windows.

Did some more digging on the VZW site and discovered that Wireless Sync will work with POP3 and IMAP, and has a "leave on server option" for each programmed e-mail server... so I think I may be using it after all (it comes preinstalled and can't be removed anyway). If I can keep an eye on my e-mail all day long with every hour checks and still download all of it to my laptop/PC anyway at the end of the day, then it's all good... without having to search out and install another e-mail app, too