+ Reply to Thread

Question Verizon - PDA Data Pkg required for email?

Just went though two hours on the phone with Vzn techno geeks. The first guy tells me that I do not need the PDA data package to send emails on the Treo 650, stated that instead I would be billed using the default pay as you go Kbyte program.

After receiving this bit of info I went thought the wireless sync instructions on the vzn web site. When I attempt to wireless sync the phone I get a message stating that the random no. was not supplied. If I cursor over and select the attenna icon in the wireless sync screen I see a message stating "Disconnected because your network push settings do not allow access at this time". I call Vzn back and they put me through to a Treo expert who asked me to verify that I have purchased the PDA data package. I stated that I did not and he says it is reqd to send and receive email.

Anyone know the correct answer to this?

You might want to search the site here. This has been a BIG topic, and a subject of long discussion. Bottom Line: Yes, you need "a" data package. You need PAYG (Pay As You Go) and Quick-2-Net. Once on your account, under Preferences, Network, hit the menu key and select "new", and set up a new network connection. Use:

Modem Type: Virtual Modem
    Username: qnc
    Passcode: qnc
    Number: #777

SUPPOSEDLY, this only bills you the minutes used. If you use the National Access (the default on your phone, and the one you can't Modify) with the above plans, you are billed $15.00 per Megabyte ($0.15 per kilobyte). The jury is out on this, and we are all waiting for bills.

Thanks much!

Verizon gave me 5MB free data per month when I purchased the phone on a one year contract for $449. I intend to use it for light email and light web browsing. You might want to see if you can get a similar promotion.

Nice deal - except I don't think someone who pays $299 for the phone will see such an offer.

Originally posted by Jeremy
    Verizon gave me 5MB free data per month when I purchased the phone on a one year contract for $449. I intend to use it for light email and light web browsing. You might want to see if you can get a similar promotion.
    Did they tell you they were giving you the free 5mb data per month or did you just notice it on your first bill?

I've called them about this free 5mb data package and they say its only available to certain businesses that have arranged that deal.