+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is a Non-Verizon ISP Dialup on 650 Possible

I am getting ready to move from a Kyocera 7135 to the new Treo 650 on Verizon.

I have used the 1X High Speed Data package on my 7135 forever and I can't live without it.

However, if I travel to Canada I can roam but they do not extend the High Speed Data Package to Canada. On my 7135, I have been able to stay connected by changing over to a non-verizon ISP Dialup connection (like earthlink dialup).

Is this going to be possible with the new 650?

Greg

Yes, it uses the same sort of setup you have now.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rlwhitt MAY or MAY NOT be correct in this regard. My 650 has been unable to achieve a dial-up connection, and there are many others that report the same. (I'm no "newbie", I've had a Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, and a Treo 650, and have used qnc and dial-up on all except the 650.)

See:

Problem Using Dial-up instead of QNC - HELP!!

And see:

T650 QNC and 1X Network connections 101

And, on an entirely different forum, see:

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527

(Shadowmite is the site that has the Blue Tooth DUN fix)

The discussions above tell how to set up a dial-up connection, and if you are lucky you will be able to use the dial-up connection.

The only way to know will be to wait for your phone to come in.

I appreciate the response but he is exactly right.

I have been using my new 650 with both the high speed Verizon connection, Earthlink normal dialup as well as an SBC dialup.

I could not roam to Canada on the high speed but the dialup to both Los Angeles and local Canada dialup isps worked fine.

It worked exactly as I had been using my 7135 for over two years.

The only thing I did wrong at first was not to select Virtual Modem as the Connection

Then all you need is Username, password and phone number.

Mine worked easily in Los Angeles on Verizon as well as roaming in Vancouver on Telus

At least at home, I also can use QNC. I doubt if it would have worked in Canada, it didn't on the 7135 either.

Greg
    Last edited by Gmcmurry; 07-24-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Originally posted by Gmcmurry
    I appreciate the response but he is exactly right.

I have been using my new 650 with both the high speed Verizon connection, Earthlink normal dialup as well as an SBC dialup.
    Are there two different things being talked about here? Is there a difference between running apps on the phone that connect and using the phone strictly as a modem tethered to a laptop?

-Quick

Quick,

You may be correct that some are asking this question.

In my case my Treo 650 works fine with all the mentioned connections in both modes. I can surf with Blazer Web that comes with the 650, the addon Palm Web Pro, Check mail and send with Snappermail and operate things like Directory Assistant. All are Palm applications that will connect through high speed National Access, QNC, SBC Dialup and Earthlink Dialup.

Additionally, I have PDANet installed which allows my Sony Notebook running XP Pro to connect through the phone to the same connections. The only difficulty I have had has been the SMTP server for email.

Each connection requires its own goofy method of SMTP server and I could not get Eudora on my notebook to authenticate the Earthlink smtp server. I am sure I can, I just ran out of time. This was only necessary while roaming in Canada and now I am back in Los Angeles.

BTW Directory Assistant is my favorite new Palm Application..

Greg

It's not clear to me after reading all these threads what PRECISELY has to be activated on my account in order to use dialup with a non-verizon ISP (Earthlink in my case.) Right now I have network access on my account to the tune of $25/month which stinks for 56K. I can dial into and use my earthlink account, but if I have network access shut off, will my earthlink dialup still work?

Though I use the dialup when I have to, it takes forever to connect. Just like it used to when we all had dialup modems.

For me, its well worth the fee for the faster connection. What they now call NATIONAL ACCESS data connects in a few seconds. Dialup typically takes in excess of 30 seconds just to connect each time it dials out. Not to mention whatever time you are online downloading email. And those are your TALK minutes.

Greg
    Last edited by Gmcmurry; 07-25-2005 at 11:11 AM.

for me, I'd rather not pay for data at all. I don't use it much. If earthlink dialup will work for me, I'll just remove data from my account entirely.

If I switch to PAYG, will I get hit with charges if I'm using Earthlink?

I have the PAYG stupid "data" plan. I didn't want ANY "plan" from Verizon because $15/megabyte is RAPE any way you slice it. But I was told I had to have one. I work in Higher Ed. and we maintain a legacy modem pool. I have used that sporadically over the course of my first month with my 650, leery because the threads on this and the 7135 boards (where I came from) aren't definitive about whether dial-in to an ISP constitutes "data usage."

I have just received my first bill: NO DATA USAGE!! I have both used my phone as a modem for my laptop and used VersaMail and the browser and AIM on my phone using this connection. I'm burning minutes, not racking up "data" charges, which is what I want. I was also leary because the Treo's "data" arrows are on whenever I use this connection. But no data charges!
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/
    signat-url.htm

Prescor,

That is great news. And yes, VZW is a bunch of a**holes. $15 a megabyte is INDEED RAPE.

Minutes are much cheaper than data for me. Especially since I can dial in after hours. It'd be nice to get the faster speeds, but I can live without it.

Those of you in San Francisco and Los Angeles may want to consider taking on Sonic.net as your DSL ISP. They give unlimited dialup gratis with that so you can connect to their modem pool with you 650.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Called VZW re this issue. It turns out that regardless of what we do, the new smartphones do not have the QNC capabilities of the Kyocera 6035 or the Kyocera 7135 as far as dialing into our respective ISP's when we out roaming outside of Verizon's National Access territory. Therefore, we cannot access our email by dialing into our ISP (Earthlink in my case).

BOTTOM LINE: We our SOL (or VZW and Palm have us coming and going).

Stalker768

stalker: I'm not sure what you're talking about. I do this just FINE. What do you mean by "our email"? I'm dialing to my own modem pool and popping my E-mail just fine and am only using minutes when I do. I just got my first bill: No data charges!
    signat-url.htm

Stalker... QNC on Kyocera is only for using Verizon as the ISP. You absolutely CAN dial Earthlink with your 650. I do it all the time when roaming where QNC and the High Speed connection does not work.

Now that ELN has their new authenticated SMTP, you can use that from any connection. That is also handy. If you change connection types you don't have to change SMTP servers in your email program - Snappermail in my case.

Greg

And, just to make sure I don't get screwed further by Verizon, I have stopped using Q2N on my 7135 and am dialing into my ISP (Roadrunner) until my new 650 comes in. Works great! Welcome back to MOU plan!

Originally posted by brett3333
    And, just to make sure I don't get screwed further by Verizon, I have stopped using Q2N on my 7135 and am dialing into my ISP (Roadrunner) until my new 650 comes in. Works great! Welcome back to MOU plan!

How did you get it to work. I can't seem to. I have roadrunner dialup, but keep getting ppp timeouts.

Many 650's won't work with dial-up. Mine won't. Many do in fact work.

Some use a script, others don't. You might search for "script".

There is a long discussion on the issue, plus some free dial-up numbers at here:

Free Dial-up for Treo 650 Users to avoid Data Charges

Good luck.

There is no simple way. Verizon has disabled the ability to use your PDA as a wireless modem. This is why Shadowmite has a BT fix DUH. Again there are many whom have been able to connect without using DATA and it all depends on your provider and the functions that are available on your TREO.
    esmass:p

I have something to add which MIGHT slightly clear up the murky waters surrounding this issue and possibly explain why this scenario is working for some people and not for others.

The dial-in pool which hitherto has worked for ME is maintained by a few VERY old Shiva LanRovers...PPP appliances, if you will...with modems attached. This has worked for years.

This equipment is starting to fail, however, and we are just now testing a "new" replacement for this service: a Linux box with a multi-port modem card in it. It works with PCs, but NOT with my phone. It gets "PPP Timeouts" on the phone and "peer authentication errors" on the server. We are investigating, but it seems like the problem MIGHT not be your phone, but the PPP "standard" being used by your ISP of choice.

More here as I know more.
    signat-url.htm