+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down WARNING - Treo 650 auto connects to net when sending pix message.. no help from VZW

I learned something very unfortunate as a result of buying my Verizon Treo 650 phone. For those of you who only want occasional data usage, or even no data usage at all... be forewarned that even if you manually disconnect your phone from the network, it will automatically reconnect if you do a basic task such as sending a MMS message.

I had a long conversation with Verizon, asking them to turn off the internet but keep picture and text messaging. They couldn't do it.

I have had the phone less than a month and I have never ever used the web browser on the phone. In this time I have accumulated over 2 MB of data usage. That is $30 worth on pay as you go! I cannot believe that I have had to pay this and I have yet to even try the web feature on the phone. I dont have wireless sync set up either.

So, when I called Verizon asking for help, they were unable to do anything for me. Basically they told me that they realize the phone has a glitch, but i'm going to have to buy a new phone at full retail at my own expense to fix the problem.

My recommendation...... if you don't plan to use data much, but do like to use text and picture messaging, buy a new phone or be prepared to pay a lot for data that you're not even using.

I am not all that familiar with exactly how Verizon has their picture messaging setup but that sounds like data to me so I don't know how a device can be expected to do a data task like picture messaging but not connect to the data network.

However, if you have subscribed to Verizon's Picture Messaging package and you are getting charged for data on top of that, then you should definitely bring up that point with them and ask for a credit for the data useage you were charged for.

That is correct, I do have an unlimited messaging plan through Verizon and they are charging data on top of that!

Yup, this situation is a MESS! I am in a similar spot.. I don't plan on using the internet/data functions of the 650 except for picture messaging. In this scenario VZW suggests you use they pay per kb data plan at .015 cents per kb. In which you will then be charged 25 cents per picture message (unless you have pix plan) and on top of that you'll be charged per kb for the picture.. anywhere from 25kb to probably 90kb.. thats around $1 per pix or maybe 75 cents if you have a pix plan.. WHAT A RIP!!

I THINK there is somewhat of a solution.. plan on trying it soon if I can get VZW to play along. Convince VZW to completely take you off any type of data plan.. even pay per kb type plan.. remove it. But leave the pix messaging feature.. I think its National Access Enhanced Services or something like that. But keep in mind that with this setup you get charged airtime minutes while sending a pix message.. should only be about one minute.. BUT since the damn Treo 650 doesn't know how to completely disconnect from the data network after sending a pix message (it will remain in standby mode, gray arrows above reception bars) you can potentially rack up your airtime minutes. So to solve this use the app called Battery Doctor which will disconnect the data connection when the 650 screen turns off. Sounds like it may work.

Good luck. It really is horrible that VZW doesn't have a solution to this problem.

I just read this:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87960
    which reminded me of this thread here.

Originally posted by fareal
    So to solve this use the app called Battery Doctor which will disconnect the data connection when the 650 screen turns off. Sounds like it may work.
    How do you set that option, or is it just part of the program. I just purchased the program and it only has four options:
    Phone schedule
    Disconnect Data Radio (not sure what this is)
    Disable if charging
    Phone on in:

Disconnect Data Radio is the option that will Disconnect the Data Connection. You can set it to immediate after the screen turns off(forgot the exact name in the menu), after 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc.

ok that makes sense, just wasn't sure what it meant by radio
    thanks a bunch

So I would get charged for data even just for a txt message? Even if I have unlimited IN-network messaging?

Not for txt, just Pix/Flix.

not just sending...

Also keep in mind that at least for me it stay conected even if someone sends me a pix. So I turn off/on my phone after or I hit get email and that does the job.

-Evan
    "No matter where you go, There you are"