+ Reply to Thread

9 Backup Apps for the 650, the winner?...

9 Backup Apps for the 650, the winner?...
    I've done a lot of research on all apps for the Palm. One section I now have to "dig deeper into" are the Backup apps. After searching all the highly rated Backup apps, I found the following 9 to be highly rated on Palm Gear.

1. Backup Buddy
    2. Backup xfer
    3. Backup Bitster
    4. Backup Man
    5. Card Backup
    6. Fly Backup
    7. Inner Backup
    8. Synch Buddy
    9. PiBackup II

Although these were all hailed as great apps, I have not personally check into any of them yet. If anyone has these apps, a review on their experience with it would be great. Some features in a backup app I'm looking for an opinion on would be the following...

1. Limitation of Demo downloads compared to the registered version.

2. Will it automatically change the backup bits on applications/databases that don't have it selected?

3. Will it make incremental backups?

4. Does it backup to both the card and the desktop?

5. Automatic backup to cards/desktop

6. Number of backups it will keep?

7. Any other features you can think of that I forgot to mention.

Also if there's any other backup software out there that I haven't mentioned, please do so and critique it if you have an opinion.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/postings

what do you thing about verisafe by pdaapps?

I like BackupMan. It can either backup on demand, or scheduled. It can restore either the entire Treo, or just selected files. It's all stored on the SD card, so if the Treo pukes and you cannot hotsync then you have everything you need to restore your Treo (happened to me last week).

Jeff

I use Card Backup. It is cheap and does a great job. Saved my butt a few times on my 7135. Seems to work the same on my Treo 650. It does scheduled or on demand backups. Does incremental as well, so backups are quick. You can restore full or partial backups.

1. I've owned it for years, so i don't remember about the demo...
    2. No idea...
    3. Yes.
    4. Just the card. Hotsync goes to the desktop...
    5. Yes. Scheduled or on demand.
    6. Only limited to space on card I think. I only keep one, but I know it will keep more. Not aware of a number limit.
    7. It's cheaper than the rest... at least it was when I bought it.

Great program.

I have used backup buddy vfs with great success on the kyocera 7135 and the Treo 650. It's on my SD card and I was able to save one particular file that didn't transfer.

cheers

I use TealBackup it does ful and incremental backups, backup to card, and to pc. I used it recently after my upgrade to the new firmware (1.2

I just want to say to all who posted, thank you for all your opinions. I posted this same question on another site at the same time, well over 50 views and no posts.

It appears that this IS THE place to go!

Thanks again..............KEEP POSTING

Resident Curmudgeon
    I use Backup Buddy and Backup Buddy VFS. I've still got an old version installed, although I've purchased (and downloaded) a newer version.

1. Don't remember the demo versions... I know I tried them for a couple of hours, but that was years ago!

2. Yes, it will reset the backup bits (or not if you really get emphatic).

3. The version I'm using does incremental backups. The new version does even better than that, in that it allows you to be much more precise in just when you want the restore to be effective!

4. Backup Buddy does a full backup to the desktop. Backup Buddy VFS does a full backup to removable media (like an SD card).

5. Yes, you can schedule backups in more than one way, although the product by itself only supports one timed backup.

6. The version I'm running now only supports one backup per SD card or Windoze user. The version I ought to get off my backside and install supports a practical infinity.

7. Features you might have missed: Speed and reliability. I've never seen a faster usable backup on a given hardware configuration than BackupBuddy or BackupBuddy VFS. I've never had a backup either of them reported as successful fail to restore perfectly.

-PatP

Originally posted by blulite
    I like BackupMan. It can either backup on demand, or scheduled. It can restore either the entire Treo, or just selected files. It's all stored on the SD card, so if the Treo pukes and you cannot hotsync then you have everything you need to restore your Treo (happened to me last week).

Jeff

I like Backupman too but it doesn't work as well as it should with the 650. It has serious problems with memory issues and as a result scheduled backups don't always execute. Its not the worst problem in the world, but it was nice with my 600 when it would backup automatically every evening. Now, it misses more often than it makes (This only happened after I received the latest firm and sotware from palm....but nevertheless it is a problem).

I have a workaround, which is I reset the phone at night. If it is recently reset, it will backup automatically in the middle of the night. But if I haven't reset, something in the memory is preventing the scheduled backup from occurring. But it is a neat app because you can restore individual files which I find very useful from time to time when something gets corrupted or, worse, when I accidentally delete the wrong file.

I also had a problem with memory issues and Backupman. I contacted Bits n Bolts, and they suggested that I do a manual backup via backupman, then a zero out reset, then a restore via backupman. All has been rock solid since.

Jeff

Backup Buddy

I use Backup Buddy. I took an earlier backup from my 7135 and used it to load all my email settings after I switched to a T650. That impressed me pretty well. It also kept all my speed dial settings when It was on my Kyo 7135. In my opinion, worth the cost for the many times I used it on my Kyo7135.

Gino

TDS
    I went into the continual reset loop today and thank God for Back Up Buddy. Its the first time I had to use it and is saved hours of reloading all my third party apps, settings and quick dials.

TDS

Aother vote for BackupBuddyVFS. Saved me several times on my old 7135 and the 650.

I have used the built-in backup with MegaLauncher as well. Works well if you don't want another app to go with your launcher.

I use Resco Backup, for three reasons:

1. It works. I used it to restore everything after installing both of the Verizon Updates.
    2. It allows me to encrypt the backup file on the card, providing some security if the phone or card gets lost.
    3. It has a setting to do a backup BEFORE each Hotsync. That way, if I install a new program, and it hangs up the Treo, I can restore from before the backup, and be back in operation.
    John H. Boyd

I have to agree with JohnBoyd, Resco Backup work really fine for me, use to save my palms data life lots of time so I think that it shoud be in this challenge

backups

I use both BackupMan and Resco Backup -- call me paranoid but the plan works.

rob

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    BackupBuddyVFS here .... works great.
    Michael

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Thumbs up Add a vote for Nomad BackupBuddy VFS

I use the basic $10 version since the 7135 days. Works great and cheap as hell. Not a lot of bells and whistles. No incremental back ups. Just 'Backup' or 'Restore'

Couldn't be easier!

Enjoy your toy!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)