+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cdma or gsm

cdma or gsm

How do I tell what my phone is a cdma or gsm. I dont see cdma written anywhere on the box but it does have a gsm logo? Is there a way to tell in the phone info?

Re: cdma or gsm

Originally posted by divergance
    How do I tell what my phone is a cdma or gsm. I dont see cdma written anywhere on the box but it does have a gsm logo? Is there a way to tell in the phone info?
    Best is to determine the manufacturer and model number and punch it into www.phonescoop.com .

A modern GSM phone will have a SIM slot, generally behind the battery. Any mention of Qualcomm generally indicates a CDMA phone. However in addition to GSM and CDMA, a phone could also be TDMA or IDEN or analog (AMPS) (and there are other types used in other countries as well). There are even phones that are combo GSM+CDMA, TDMA+GSM and CDMA+AMPS. Most recent phones are also branded by the carrier, which is some hint of the air interface...

I have a Treo 650 and dont see any sim slot. Behind the battery. The reason I was asking is that I've noticed some hacks that indicate they wont work on treo 650 gsm so I was trying to make sure I wouldn't have any problems. I'll keep looking thanks.

Who is your service provider?

Verizon, Sprint, Alltell = CDMA

ATT/Cingular, T-Mobile = GSM

Originally posted by divergance
    I have a Treo 650 and dont see any sim slot.
    If there is no SIM slot in your phone, then it is not a GSM Treo. There are also a couple of extra programs/utilities on the GSM Treo: SIM Book and SIM Svcs. The color of the phone is also slightly different: dark silver vs cobalt blue for the CDMA version. You can read this not very helpful page on TreoCentral for a loose description of differences: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/548-1.htm .

At the Palm website: http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/details.epl
    you can see a picture of the location of the SIM slot on the 650. It is next to the antenna, on the top of the 650.
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 06-21-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Okay now i'm sure I dont have a gsm. My provider is Verizon but i was more concerned about being able to identifie any phone regardless of its provider. For instance if I'm looking at a treo on ebay or in a pawn shop how do I know with out getting it on a service what radio it has? Now I see! And of course now I know incase I come to a hack etc that indicates its not gsm compatable or made for gsms.