+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Converging again, and again . . .

7135 to Treo conversion

For former 7135 users - what are the issues that you had to deal with in converting from your 7135 to the Treo? Since Verizon is forcing us to convert, I'm sure that a lot of us will have to work through many of the same issues.

I'm hoping that the data will move over fairly easily.

What about quickoffice files?
    MP3's?
    Voicetags?

Thanks!
    Jim
    (7135 to Treo 650 conversion)

See the first thread at the top of the forum for instructions on how to move your data over from the 7135 to 650.

Thanks Marty, that thread looks quite useful and I've already marked it for use when my Treo arrives. (I read all of the sticky threads before I posted).

The reason for this thread is to deal with the special features of the 7135. From what I've read, some of these features are not directly implemented on the Treo - such as an MP3 player.

Thanks again!
    Jim

jhaupt, I had to get a different Mp3 player for my treo then what I used on my 7135. All My ringers are pretty much just memeory consuming hogs at this point and I've had to search for all my ringer pbd files in mp3 or wav format. The programs that come with the (verizon) treo helped alot - When you first sync your treo - hotsync placed all none compatiable files in a seperate folder and did not sync them.

Otherwise Its taken some time to get used to my treo and I'm still playing but i do think its a step up from the 7135

The Treo is in and it looks pretty nice. I'm already as fast on the keyboard as I am with graffitti. But it is strange finding myself trying to hold a stylus while typing. I guess I have to learn to use the jog button more effectively.

So any way - it seems that the Treo does not come with an office application (like Quick Office). Has anyone installed Quickoffice and tested it out? Any thoughts?

The Treo has Realplayer built in!! This is pretty cool because I thought the Treo would not be able to do MP3's without a download. I plugged in my Kyo headset and I'm only getting sound on one side. Does anyone have thoughts on a sterio headset for the Treo. (btw - the Treo has WAY more volume than the 7135 did!).

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim

The 650 should come with a copy of Doc-to-go, located on the CD that came with it

Just this week I switched from a Kyocera 7135 to a Treo 350.

Documents To Go comes with the Treo on a CD. It seems to work a lot like Quick Office, but more powerful.

RealPlayer is installed and works OK, but I'd like to find an MP3 player that makes the Treo more like an iPod, e.g. be able to sort through albums and artists.

The Kyocera headphone adapter does not work 100% with the Treo. I end up with mono sound unless I hold the button on the adapter down. Number of contacts is different. palmOne sells headphone adapters for $5.

Sigh, no more Graffiti. But that's a small loss compared to everything else the Treo has!

Just a few notes on my conversion from the 7135 to the 650.

1. I followed the directions that came with the phone, (not the directions that are in the FAQ on this forum) and after doing my first sync, my phone went into an infinite loop during boot time. It kept booting repeatedly. So I quickley learned how to do a hard reset (Page 154 in the manual) by removing the battery cover, holding down the red phone button, pressing the reset button with the stylus. When the big palm screen comes up, then you let go of the red button.

2. Even though the apps that are not os5 compatible are quarentined, something was loaded to my phone during syncing that caused problems. I created a new sync id for the phone and did a hotsync and everything worked fine. I had my calendar, contacts, etc. Later I added a few apps that I needed - for example, I downloaded the newest version of avantgo. This seems to be running smoothly. NOTE: If you have lots of applications that you want to port from the 7135 then you may want to retain your original sync id. Check out the directions on the sticky post at the top of the forum. (Then again, you probably want to upgrade your apps to the os5 versions anyway, so retaining registration codes might not be important).

3. I made a newbie mistake with voicemail. On the dialer screen, it kept saying "voicemail 1". I assumed that this meant that I had one voicemail - which frustrated me and a Verizon tech because there were no voicemails waiting. The "1" was not indicating the number of voicemails!! It was showing the hotkey that will access voicemail!! Duh! I feel like a total idiot.

4. When I clicked on the voicemail soft button, it would automatically dial into voicemail and then I'd have to manually enter my password. Verizon tech support said there is no way to automate the password except for setting up a special contact. This is not quite right. If you highlight the voicemail button, press the option key, click on "edit favorites button", click on "more", then you will get to a place where you can enter extra digits. My string is ",,#xxxxx#11" and it is working great.

5. One advantage of the qwerty keyboard is that you can have lots of speed dials!! To setup speed dials, go into the phone app, scroll down to an empty softbutton, and click on it. A dialog box will pop up that will make it easy to configure that button to do several things - speed dial, starting and application, etc.

6. There is a superior replacement for Quickoffice called Documents to Go. This app was not automatically installed - I had to manually install it from the CD. (I believe that the one app contains both word and excel functions.)

7. There is a voicetag application on the CD that can be manually installed. I have not tested it yet. It is a trial version - the full copy costs $19.99

8. Supposedly there is handwriting recognition software available for the Treo. I have not looked into it yet.

9. I ran Backupman from my SD card and it seems to work OK. And it was FAST! However there is a newer version of backupman available - which I just downloaded. It seems to work nicely so far.

Wish list:

1. Decent stereo headset (maybe even with bluetooth! Not sure about cost).
    2. Belt clip similar to the 7135's OEM holster
    3. I want to browse the files on the treo and the memory card (Maybe I'll find this in the manual - or maybe I'll get a 3rd party app)
    4. Voice tags (There are several options, and this is not a good time for me to test and research the differences).
    5. App for graffitti (maybe)
    6. <sigh> Analog. It seems that there are a few more places where I don't have service. Maybe I was using analog more than I realized, or maybe the Treo just doesn't have good reception, or maybe it was just a bad night.

Last edited by jhaupt; 06-25-2005 at 12:27 AM.
    Jim

Stereo

I've been surprised that are are relatively few stereo headsets for the Treo 650. So, I checked out pc-mobile at

http://pc-mobile.net/tr6aa.htm

This is a nice device because it gives you the mike, and a 3.5 jack so that you can plug in any headphones that you want - or you can even plug it into your cars stereo system. (at least you could plug it into the cars sound system on the 7135. (not sure if the car stereo will give enough impedience for the Treo).

However, based on my past experience with pc-mobile, I can not give them an unqualified endorsement. They use very thin wires which do not hold up well at all. Though PC-mobile claims that these wires enable them to create a compact system, it seems that these headsets will only last a few months before they need to be replaced.

Here is a brief note from the pc-mobile page:

Overview: Treo 600 is equipped with a 3-pole 2.5mm stereo audio jack combined with a headset jack for phone use.
    It is unconventional and questionable about the intelligence of the design. As a result it is very difficult (if not impossible) to design a combined stereo headphone/headset with mic that all other PDA/Phones have.
    It is an essential accessory for such PDA/Phone and Handspring does not even make one !!

So, reading between the lines, it seems that the Treo's implementation of stereo sound (and microphone) makes it hard to develop an elegant headset solution. PC-Mobiles approach is to build in a switch that you can change from "audio" (Stereo) and headset. You can read all the details on the link above.

If you have a better solution, please post it!!
    Jim

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar

Graffiti Shortcuts

One issue I faced was the presence in my Treo HotSync Log of an entry about backing up my Graffiti ShortCuts.

But I don't have Graffiti! And I can't see the ShortCuts file!

I really thought I would have no more use for Graffiti, especially the kind that made me activate my Brightness/Contrast control panels unintentionally but frequently. And I was a Graffiti 1 fan; when my 7135 was replaced with another I lost that to Graffiti 2.

Let's just say this sentence would be irritating to write with Graffiti 2!

But I did want to keep one Graffiti shortcut - the time stamp. Especially on the Treo 650, I don't like being in the Calendar and needing to push the Phone or Applications buttons to see the time, with no way to copy it into the calendar. I liked time stamping my arrival and departure from work, to remove all doubt.

Another post on this board indicated that time stamping was still possible on the 650, so back to the manual I went. It turns out that one of the symbols available when you type s (or S) then Alt is the good old shortcut loop! I can't revise the basic shortcuts as far as I know, but I can do a ds, ts, or dts after the shortcut loop.
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?

Another issue - the SD card

The 7135 had a built-in File Manager program that the Treo does not. I had planned to keep a friend's otherwise damaged 7135 to use as a card reader, but that phone went white screen the next day.

Anyway, a functional 7135 can make folders on the SD card. I found this essential for loading some types of files on the card so their parent application could read them. Metro (subway navigation in over 80 cities) is one such program.

Metropolis 2.0 (the last free version) was the only program to completely die on the Treo. I knew Hardball would not work, and I am living with minor screen glitches on one screen of Planetarium, but overall they work and on a Verizon Treo 650, I am not experiencing memory hogging situations (nor did I expect to) such as those on the unpatched Sprint or Cingular Treo 650.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Thumbs up stereo headphones for Treo650

I ordered and am using the Seidio 2-in-1 Backphone (Retractable) for Treo 650 from TreoCentral.
    They were like $40 but I was sick of the tinny crappy sounds of the in-ear headsets. These ones are fantastic.

I use a BT headset during the week for normal cellphone use. But after work or weekends I leave the BT earpiece at home and wrap the backphones around my neck. They have great sound even with the Realplayer app.
    I use the MMPlayer app for my music though, so I can play with the EQ and the Amp setting and really rock ur Treo.
    As an added bonus .... they have a retractible cord PLUS you can talk on the phone with sound in both ears. It is great.
    Movies on the MMPlayer with the backphones are awesome. I record all my movies with Pocket DVD Studio for Palm in Stereo mode so that I can blast the movie on my headset.

You could buy the little 3.5 to 2.5 adapter is u have some headphones u like but u will not be able to answers phone calls with them on.

The Seidio 2-in-1 Adapter (Retractable) for Treo 650 is another option that will let u use any headset AND answer calls but it is $35. I figured $40 for the whole shot is better for me because of the retractable cord.

I actually need a 2.5 to 3.5 stereo adaptor now so I can use these great cans on my laptop in a plane. (some airlines still won't let u use ur Treo even with the phone radio off)
    Heathens!

Enjoy your toy !
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Searching for Search

Maybe the Treo doesn't allow this.

I can search my Calendar entries on the desktop PC, but is there a Search on the handheld? Obviously there is no Graffiti area on the Treo and no spyglass icon.

What is the workaround with built-in or third party software?

Re: Another issue - the SD card

Originally posted by MUGlover
    The 7135 had a built-in File Manager program that the Treo does not. I had planned to keep a friend's otherwise damaged 7135 to use as a card reader, but that phone went white screen the next day.

Anyway, a functional 7135 can make folders on the SD card. I found this essential for loading some types of files on the card so their parent application could read them. Metro (subway navigation in over 80 cities) is one such program.

Try FileZ, a shareware product, at http://www.nosleep.net/

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: Re: Another issue - the SD card

Originally posted by mk3013
    Try FileZ, a shareware product, at http://www.nosleep.net/
    FileZ is free. You can get it from PalmGear.com.
    Michael

Search is on Left Shift Key

Many thanks. I had heard of FileZ, but was waiting for the support of others such as yourselves.

If I may answer my own other question, of course the Treo 650 does allow searching of the Palm apps as other Palms have done.

The spyglass was staring me in the face, on my left Shift key. I can search by typing Option (blue blob) - Left Shift. It worked well and on many apps at once. Of course it will first start searching the app you were in when you called it.

I would have posted this Search solution sooner, but I was on hold with Verizon to get my billing untangled. I will post on that thread.

Another 7135 Convert's Comments

I will continue to be patient....

My 7135 (with insurance) finally died. I always kept a spare (purchased on EBAY) laying around. But, since I was leaving for Canada in a few days, I wanted to see what Verizon would do for me..

As we all know, the Verizon store will do nothing for you when it comes to these expensive PDA Phones. But, WDTS phone support was terrific. Within minutes they determined that my 7135 was dead and that I deserved a new replacement Treo 650 for free! I think I will end up paying sales tax.

Since they were going to have to mail it to me, I went home, activated my spare 7135, ran Backup buddy and I was back on with my spare, and last, 7135. The next day I was off to Canada.

While in Canada, with the 7135, I always have to use Earthlink Dialup for my network connection. At home I have the high speed unlimited plan, but the high speed feature does not roam in Canada. I have done this many times and it worked as I expected. Since I use SNAPPERMAIL, I found that the new Earthlink smtpauth.earthlink.net was quite reliable. SMTP on my 7135 has always been a bit of a problem.

Well during the first week away, the 650 arrived at my home in Los Angeles. I came back from Vancouver the following weekend and had exactly 1 day to change over everything to my new Treo and then jump on a plane, back to Canada with everything working.

Here is my uninstall and install method:

1. From my Palm Desktop software from my 7135, then exporte Calendar and Contacts saving the two files in a new folder.

2. Make a copy of the existing /Program Files/Palm/ and rename it /Program Files/Palm Old. (just for safety)

3. Uninstall the old 7135 Palm Desktop and delete the old /Program Files/Palm/ folder.

4. Install the NEW Treo 650 Desktop software.

5. Import the two exported files (*.dba and *.aba)

6. Installed your favorite applications -- here are mine:

SNAPPERMAIL
    PALM WEB PRO
    ADVENTURE (yes the original)
    ACIDIMAGE
    PCAM and PCINE (an application I use in my work)
    SOL FREE (the only free Solitaire program that I have found)
    and BACKUP BUDDY which came on the SD Card

7. Stick your old SD memory in and do an immediate BACKUP

THATS IT.

I seemed to have my favorite things now running on my new TREO 650

The next day I was on the plane back to Canada, so I was on my own for at least a week. You cannot dial 866 or 800 numbers from Canada.

Immediately, I started having problems. Many will be solved when I get used to this new system, but some I believe I will just have to suffer.

Here are a summary of my thoughts.

1. There is a reason that the 7135 is called a SMARTPHONE and the TREO is a PDAPHONE. A handy telephone, I feel it will never be. No matter how long I try to get used to it.

2. The microphone is mounted in a place that you sound muffled unless you hold the phone parallel to the ground, completely sideways and coming out next to your eyes instead of your cheek.

3. It doesn't come with a belt clip so until you purchase a third party replacement. So I had to carry it around in my pocket which made it difficult to answer it before my call went to voice mail.

4. At least once it rang and I answered it accidently as I was pulling it out of my pocket. The screen activates when a call comes in and the "touch answer" button is easy to hit.

4. Answering Voicemail was difficult for many days until I figured out how to put in enough delay for dialing the US from Canada. The extension of a (comma delay) # password # finally did the trick after much aggrivation.

5. Little Tiny Keyboard and I have big hands -- need I say more?

6. The Screen is terrific. Much easier for me to see with my 54 year old eyes than my 7135.

7. I can finally enjoy the MP3 Player. Palm 3 was never an OS for MP3 and I like having this new feature.

8. Finally, a phone that is fast enough to use the web browser. Both the one that comes with it and Palm Web Pro work so much better on the Treo.

9. GREAT ACCESSORIES -- Finally, a phone that has all sorts of cool accessories that you can buy. There were so few available for the 7135.

10. The external antenna port is really a plus. I have missed using external antennas since going to the 7135.

11. Reception seems to be as good as my 7135. A while a go, I changed my 7135 over to digital only to see if I was going to have any trouble when my next phone had no analog. We all have to get used to that. The analog part of tri-mode CDMA will soon be a part of cellular history. Too bad. I loved those three watt devices. Great for being in the mountains or in the back country.

12. Return Dialing -- In Canada, you MUST dial a 1 before an area code. When a call comes in it does not show the 1 in the caller ID. You cannot simply recall a previous incomming call. You get a nice message that says "you must use a 1 before dialing long distance...".

The 7135 has a setting for adding a 1 to long distance calls, I have not found this feature on the 650. Now that I am back in Los Angeles, its not a problem but I need to solve that problem. I roam in Canada a great deal.

All in all, I think I will enjoy this PDAPHONE I still need to figure out a few things ... But I do have this forum..

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR PROVIDING YOUR THOUGHTS I figured out many things by reading this forum.

Greg

Answering your dial one issue.

Put yourself in the phone mode.
    Goto Options
    Dial Preferences

Check - Always dia +1 in front of the area code.

This setting doesn't differenciate between local and long distance.

I have the impression the phone is automatically appending a 1 because in the U.S. we have to add a 1 to all calls. I don't have this feature checked and I don't have a problem. I think when sprint sees 10 digits it appends the 1.

lyoung,

Thanks for helping... I do not have DIAL PREFERENCES in the Options menu. I have phone preferences and general preferences. Phone preferences only has settings for Voice privacy, long DTMF and TTY mode...

Do you think I need a ROM upgrade?

Greg

I recently purchased my phone and immediately upgraded to the highest rev. I don't know whether it was missing before the upgrade. I have Sprint and I suppose it is possible the option is just on the Sprint version. Maybe some others can weigh in on the subject. You might want to call Verizon and find out. I bought the phone without the camera so the rev was very old. That is why I immediately upgraded.