+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Got Unlimited Data, how about VOIP on a Treo650?

I can't be the first person to think of this - although searching the threads for VOIP came up with nothing.

If we can connected to the Internet in an "unlimited" manner (now that we are being forced away from MOU) - what is to stop a smart developer (shadowmite?) from writing some software to enable Voice-over-IP (VOIP) to allow us to talk in an UNLIMITED manner, bi-passing the verizon network and minute counters - and putting the call out over the Internet?

Whoever wrote the program would only be limited by the size of an SD card - even a 1 gig card is cheap. With all the SmartPhones out there, anyone who perfected such a program could sell it cheap, and still get rich.

Tell me someone else thought of this already!

lots of people have already thought of this.

the problem as i understand it is that the data networking on gsm and cdma is "lumpy". that is, since latency matters a LOT for live audio, and you can't really buffer anything, the networking wants to be relatively smooth. any networking with "lumpy" data movement will screw up the latency and you'll end up with dropped packets and other noise on the line. but don't quote me.

note that a few vendors are coming out with hybrid cell-wifi phones - some of which have services to pass the call back and forth - so you can call your bud from the car, and then when you get to starbucks, the call will just slot over to wifi and when you leave starbucks it'll slot back over to cdma (or gsm or whatever). all transparently.

and wimax is coming. that'll really change the landscape.

doody!

Re: Got Unlimited Data, how about VOIP on a Treo650?

Originally posted by jcarlosfox

Tell me someone else thought of this already!
    When I was shopping last week (this is posted in another thread already, but whatever), I saw exactly what you are talking about. I heard the "Talk-beep-speaker-beep" of what I thought was a NexTel, and put up with it till I became annoyed with it (no wonder places have started banning push to talk and speakerphones). I turned around to look at the fellow who was going on and on, and lo and behold, he had a Treo650 in his hand. I asked: Me "Pardon me, sir, but is that a Treo?" he nodded continuing his conversation. I asked "But, you are not using speakerphone are you, is that push to talk?" he nodded, starting to grin this time. "And you are on Verizon???" his grin got even bigger and he nodded again. "Forgive me, but let me guess that you probably pay extra for this either, do you?" Big grin.
    Here is the interesting part. After going by the store to check on the arrival of my replacement t650, I asked one of the technicians about this. He said he wasn't surprised, that it would only be a matter of time before someone would come up with this sort of thing on a smartphone. He also surmised (I now suppose quite accurately), that whoever did it would be able to bypass the need for a plan. Note" I have no interest in this sort of thing.

(Rant alert) I am not a fan of "voluntary noise" including musical ringers, speakerphones etc. when used in public places. I gather this is prolly an "American" thing, but I think such usage is are tacky, disprespectful, and annoying when used in small public places (particularly when there are signs ASKING you to turn them off). If I had the money I'd buy one of those cell phone jammers and take it to church, plays and movies, as there is ALWAYS someone who doesn't care. However this is not an opinion that is shared all over (it's only for me, so I will respect yours), so I understand people who want to "show off" their new tone or toy, and yes those funky lights do look cute. In fact of this fellow hadn't done so, I never would have known. But too often I am at work, on the phone with a customer, and someone at a nearby cubicle goes on break, and my customer and I put up with 30 seconds of blaring tunes. Recent changes in ordinances look to stop this someday.

That said, I am impressed with this even "newer" technology that is said to replace the Push to talk phenomenon. Slated to be out very soon, if not already, it will allow you to talk to your friends, family and coworkers wherever they are, just like PTT. But newer high speed switching will allow BOTH of you to talk at the same time! No more buttons to push between calls, this will be automagic, and you can hear and talk without any waits, or annoying beeps! It's called the telephone *giggles*
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

looks like SKYPE

Well, it only took a quick google search to find that SKYPE will release it's Palm version in October. PocketPC have already got a version. Read all about it, if you care:

http://blog.treonauts.com/sw_voip/

The SKYPE post was a rumor over a year ago. They have not mentioned a palm version at all. The last palm voip application I remember existing was GPHONE (www.gphoneonline.com) but unfortunately support and product download has been withdrawn. One possibility is the java phone client that is currently being developed. The website mentions the j2me version is under active developement. Hopefully it will work on the TREO 650 implementation. Although the java runtime takes up a lot of space this may be the only solution soon to be available.