+ Reply to Thread

Question TREO 650 Charging

Maybe somebody here can help me out. I'm considering getting myself one of these beauties and was wondering about the charging of the phone. I know it comes with an AC charger, but is it also possible to charge the phone by hooking it to the pc with the USB hotsync cable?

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Thumbs up Tons of options on cords

what comes with the 650 are 2 seperate cords. They can be plugged together like the old cradle power cables. They suck cuz they are so long.

http://store.treocentral.com/content/accessories/5.htm

They have tons of cable/charge all in one solutions. I highly recommend the retractible usb power and sync all in one cable. It is very handy and u can charge off ur laptop.

This 650 rocks.

get one
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Re: TREO 650 Charging

Originally posted by voelser
    Maybe somebody here can help me out. I'm considering getting myself one of these beauties and was wondering about the charging of the phone. I know it comes with an AC charger, but is it also possible to charge the phone by hooking it to the pc with the USB hotsync cable?
    You can buy a USB Hotsync/Charging cable on eBay or from local retailers that carry them. Not sure on specifically which local retailers carry them but I see them all over the place on eBay.

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Three-piece compact charging solution

Treo Central has a compact sync/charge cable on a self-winding spool. Add an 120/220/240v AC adapter and a DC adapter and Bob's yer uncle, you're all set with a very compact solution.
    John Bartley K7AAY | http://celdata.cjb.net | http://kiloseven.blogspot.com

We also carry a compact, retractable sync cable along with a patent pending Slimline adapter (a compact AC/DC all-in-one unit). - PLUS you get a free Ballpoint pen stylus with your order.

We have sold over 5000 cables and Slimline adapters - many of them to other PDAphone home members. Do a search for "macmedia" or "Mac Media" and you will find people who are using our cables and happy with them.

www.macmedia.com/treo650deal
    Last edited by macmedia; 06-27-2005 at 07:46 PM.
    Powerflex chargers and Portaflex Sync/Charge cables
    www.macmedia.com

Treo Fanatic
    I have a treo 650 and what I would like to see is a charger for a spare battery. The only cradle I have seen that can charge a Treo battery separate is the one from Palmone. It is also very expensive.

I know I can swap batteries, but it would be nice to charge a phone and the spare battery at the same time at a more reasonable cost.

Seidio or Boxwave retractable Sync & Charge cable

I am ready to purchase a retractable sync & charge cable. I am looking for the merits of the Seidio vs Boxwave ones. I know there were some problems with the connectors on the Seidio ones but that seems to have been resolved. Any recomendation would be appreciated.

BTW I just recieved my Seidio cradle which does truely allow the device to be docked with a case on. I am using a JavoEdge Skin case. I can't vouch for any other cases. It takes a little getting used to lining up the connectors on the Treo and Cradle but it seems to be getting easier as the day goes on. It also charges and syncs together.

Ah I miss the simple connector on the 600. But progress stops for no one!

Regards,

Marv

I just got a 650 last week and the sync cable that came with it seems to keep it charged just fine. I just leave the phone plugged into the sync cable when I'm in my office. I'll take the charger with me when I travel as thats usually when I need the quick charging and do my sync using bluetooth.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    I have the Seidio Retractable S&C Cable (w/Button) for Treo 650 from TreoCentral.com store.

It works everytime. Tons better than the giant charger and super long cables that came with the Treo650.

It was only $16. (there is cheaper version on the site but it does not have a Hotsync button built into the cable.
    Charging off my laptop is the best.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Converging again, and again . . .
    Originally posted by Frogmanx84
    I just got a 650 last week and the sync cable that came with it seems to keep it charged just fine.
    Unfortunately, my sync cable lost the ability to charge after a few days.

For the first few days, when I plugged in the cable to the phone (power cord is plugged into sync cable. Sync cable is plugged into the phone) the power indicator would come on (red), and then after the battery was charged it would change to a solid green.

After a few days, the phone stopped charging. The indicator lights did not come on, and the battery was getting lower. I thought that a pin was bruised/broken on the cable. The cable could still sync. (so I'd sync, unplug the sync cord, and then plug in the power cord).

Today I received a new cable and it is working. I've compared it with the old bad cable and I don't see any differences. So, I'm wondering if something happened inside the sync cable at the power receptical.

It will be interesteding to see if this is a recurring problem or if I just got a fluke bad one.
    Jim
    (7135 to Treo 650 conversion)

Originally posted by macmedia
    We also carry a compact, retractable sync cable along with a patent pending Slimline adapter (a compact AC/DC all-in-one unit). - PLUS you get a free Ballpoint pen stylus with your order.

We have sold over 5000 cables and Slimline adapters - many of them to other PDAphone home members. Do a search for "macmedia" or "Mac Media" and you will find people who are using our cables and happy with them.

www.macmedia.com/treo650deal
    I bought the macmedia cable/charger and was so happy with it that I purchased another for work. The charger is about the size of a cigarette lighter "male" connector with prongs that fold out for wall outlets. I also use it to charge other USB devices and have had no problems what-so-ever.
    Release the Hounds!

Re: TREO 650 Charging

Originally posted by voelser
    I know it comes with an AC charger, but is it also possible to charge the phone by hooking it to the pc with the USB hotsync cable?
    Hello voelser,

This is Kevin from palmOne. To answer your original question, it is possible to charge the 650 with just the USB sync cable. Known as a "trickle" charge, it is much slower than using the AC charger, but it will work in a pinch.

Sincerely
    Kevin

Kevin.... I disagree... my phone shows no such charge being taken when connected and the manuals don't say there is either.
    Peter L.

charge

Hi Peter,

Most, if not all, palmOne devices allow for a trickle charge through a USB connection. However, there is not enough power supplied by this method to trip the charge light on the device, so it may not be immediately apparent. Also, I have read that some laptop USB connections cannot manage trickle charging and it may even be true for a few desktops. This may be why palmOne guides no longer mention trickle charging. But my Dell desktop manages it fine. Keep in mind, trickle charging is quite slow, but charging all day or overnight can provide a decent boost.

Sincerely
    Kevin

Well that's reason enough to leave it connected when sitting on my desk at work, at least. I watch video / listen to mp3s or streaming audio both to and from work (90 minutes one way) everyday, so I do tend to run down the batteries quickly.

If you think keeping it connected for 6 hours while at my desk will help, then I will.
    Peter L.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: charge

Originally posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hi Peter,

Most, if not all, palmOne devices allow for a trickle charge through a USB connection. However, there is not enough power supplied by this method to trip the charge light on the device, so it may not be immediately apparent. Also, I have read that some laptop USB connections cannot manage trickle charging and it may even be true for a few desktops. This may be why palmOne guides no longer mention trickle charging. But my Dell desktop manages it fine. Keep in mind, trickle charging is quite slow, but charging all day or overnight can provide a decent boost.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    When I connect my Sprint Treo 650 to my "sync & charge" cable that I got from TreoCentral, it does show the charging status on the LED.
    Michael

Originally posted by plyons10
    Well that's reason enough to leave it connected when sitting on my desk at work, at least. I watch video / listen to mp3s or streaming audio both to and from work (90 minutes one way) everyday, so I do tend to run down the batteries quickly.

If you think keeping it connected for 6 hours while at my desk will help, then I will.
    The MacMedia cable comes with a great little charger that plugs into the wall and the cigarette lighter of your car, as well as the USB port. This might help you when you're in the car as well as at the computer.
    Release the Hounds!

Re: Re: charge

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    When I connect my Sprint Treo 650 to my "sync & charge" cable that I got from TreoCentral, it does show the charging status on the LED.
    Yes, Michael, of course it does. But we're discussing whether the phone is charging when only a regular USB cable is connected.
    Peter L.