+ Reply to Thread
    PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar

Now testing the New Tomtom Navigator 5 on the Treo 650!

I just received it , along with the new Tomtom brand Bluetooth receiver ( new III version chipset), and will be loading the program and maps soon.
    I'll be looking for the "new improved" handling of phone calls while navigating. Also the ability to play music through a cassette adapter in my car, and have the voice prompts come through. With my new 2GB SD card, I'm looking forward to tunes and navigation...

More later.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

I'm very anxious to hear the results! I'm actually thinking of switching from the Samsung i700 to the Treo 650, but since I'm a heavy GPS user, this will really make the decision.

I have been using the original vesion for about a month and it is outstanding.
    I had a different standalone system prior to this and the tomtom is far better. Access to the satellite is almost instant and a pleasure to use.
    Like most gPS systems, it does not always send you the way you would go on your own, but gets you there no matter what.
    The only problem with it is if you receive a call durng the session ti knocks the gps out and you have to reprogram.

As I am sure you know, you cannot use a b/t headset while suing the gps, but I use a connected headset an all works fine.

Mike
    michaelb92

After testing, there is good news and bad news:

GOOD:
    The program works with the 650, and the included Bluetooth Receiver is small, lite, accurate, and holds a long charge (4-6 hours). If you load the program on an SD card, the voice prompts work fine - even while playing pocket tunes. If a call comes in, it is received, but you have to restart the Tomtom program to pick up your route again.

Bad:
    The program installation has created an error at every hotsync since. I have emailed tomtom since Saturday 6/25, and have yet to get a responce - That's 4 days and they advertise 24 hour responce! There is no number to contact - they're in the Netherlands.
    If you use a cassette adapter to listen to music through your car stereo, the voice prompts work, but when a call comes in - it doesn't ring - You'll never know unless you happen to be looking at the screen. You have to disconnect the cassette adapter because the Treo thinks that it is a headset and no microphone, can pick up your voice to reply.
    The screen is bright, sharp - but small. Even with great eyesight, you will have to mount it closer to have use of the screen. I put velcro on my treo back and stuck it on my steering wheel - not going to work with a power cord, or cassette adapter cords.
    This would be much more useful a program on a larger screen PDA - I know that carrying ONE device thing...

More to come.
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 06-30-2005 at 11:01 PM.

sorry you are having those problems. Maybe it is the cassette interface.

I have mounted the 650 on the dashboard and use a cigarette lighter cable to make sure I dont lose power. I dont use it for mp3, and maybe that is part of the problem

Also. as I said in prior post, I use a connected earpiece when using the gps and the phone rings when a call come in.

i believe your problem must have to do with either the mp3 or cassette as I dont have it, nor do I have hotsync problems
    Mike
    michaelb92

Question Who sold this?

I'm looking to buy the Navigator 5 Bluetooth GPS for my Treo, but I cannot find anyone who has this to sell. If you can let me know where you purchased yours, along with your review, it would be very helpful.

Thanks

www.semsons.com lists it as coming soon. The nice thing about this company is that you can do a customized bundle; choose your software and GPS and get a discount on the combo.

I didn't realize you could listen to PocketTunes while using GPS; my understanding was that the Palm OS coun't run multiple programs at once. Do you know if you can also play audible.com books while using the GPS, or is it a feature of the PocketTunes software that allows it to run in the background?

It is a feature of Pocket Tunes, or Real Audio for that matter, to enable background play. This is "multi-tasking, but not like a pocket pc with programs running in the background (and filling up your memory allocation).

I did get a responce from tomtom today, and will put their advice into practice soon - and write a more detailed review. After using a Garmin iQue the couple of months, there are some big differences.
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 06-30-2005 at 11:04 PM.

After a week, I have these observations:

tomtom Navigator 5 with tomtom new bluetooth GPS module on a Treo650:

Pros:
    It works
    The bluetooth connection and GPS fix is consistant and strong
    The GPS module seems to have and auto off, usefull since I keep forgetting to turn it off.

Cons:
    The screen on the 650 is too small map wise,for anything but perfect eyesight, even then it's a squint. I'm going to use it on my T5 instead.
    If a call comes in, you lose the program- but not the route- if you take the call.
    If you use pocket tunes in the background, playing the audio through the cassette adapter, or aux input on your car stereo- calls come in (don't ring), and you have to see them on the screen, or miss them. Also, you have to disconnect the adapter to answer the call since the Treo thinks that you have a headset plugged in.
    The tomtom user interface has been stripped down from previous versions - much like the average consumer friendly tomtom GO stand alone GPS units.
    The interface with Contacts is not quite there yet, and quirky.
    The 3d view is OK, but more detail (street names, P.O.I's etc. is available with the regular view.
    The maps on this just released version are at least 2 years old. Teleatlas ( the map provider) still hasn't added my subdivision streets that are almost 3 years old.

Compared to the Garmin iQue Pocket PC: If your #1 need is in the mapping GPS functions- I would go with the Garmin iQue. But I personally prefer the Palm OS and the high rez screens of the Treo and T5....
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 07-04-2005 at 03:54 PM.

thanks for the review. what other GPS choices do we have? i found a site that lists teh Navigator 5 at $255. Is that a good price? thanks in advance!!

Have installed TomTom Navigator 5 on Treo 650. BT Receiver and Map work fine but can't install a voice. Installed Application on Treo (4MB) & Map on SD card. Would like to delete TomTom and reinstall on card but can't determine file(s) to delete. Does anyone know file names to delete? The Hotsync log was as follows :
    ""HotSync operation started for Wayne on 07/17/05 11:51:52
    - Installed Voice usaf3: C:\Program Files\palmOne\Wayne\TomTomMaps\usaf3.cab to ,ô TomTom
    OK Install TomTom Maps 1.50
    OK Install To Card
    Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed
    Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)""

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I only got the voice commands to work after installing the program, voices, and maps all - on the SD card. Tomtom suggest we do this with the Treo, or a T5.

For the earlier poster, - I paid $299 at mobile planet for the Navigator 5 program and the bluetooth GPS receiver.
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 07-18-2005 at 01:59 PM.

OK, I would like to delete the associated files off the Treo and get back my 4MB. There is no one file called TomTom or Nav 5. Do you have a listing of what these files may be?

Copilot

When it comes to GPS at least up to recently it made more sense to bite the tongue and buy a pocket PC. I bought the Compaq Ipaq which probably now has a different name since it is now HP. I use it exclusively for GPS and my Treo for everything else. Copilot from Travroute which is now apart of ALK Technologies was one of the first ones on the market. It use to be called Door to Door. I had it when it only worked on a laptop. I think they were the best way back then and still the best today. I don't think they have a Palm version but that is because it needs the horsepower. I know there will be a lot of disagreement out there but if you really want a great GPS system then look at Copilot for the Ipaq or whatever the equivalent is today from HP. I have a gig drive in it which is not expensive anymore and it holds for me the New England area including most of New York. With room to spare I can add another state or two when traveling. My only beef is when I don't use it for awhile the battery drains and I have to reload because I keep the main program in memory. The maps I keep on the gig drive.

I don't have the names of the flies, as I used the program "uninstall" to remove all programs. One was called cn names , I believe. Thet's the contact database link. One possible way is to look at your sync logs at the day that you installed it.

As to the separate Pocket PC for GPS - I agree somewhat - I would buy the Garmin iQue if I had to do it over again. Their program has much more detail than this current version of tomtom. As you are driving, for example, it gives you the street name AND street addresses as you pass them!
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 07-20-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Garmin is a good product and I would probably agree it maybe a tossup. For equal time, Copilot shows the cross streets when passing as well as tell you when you reach your destination whether it is on the right or left. It verbalizes the instructions in a male or female voice as well as display in easy to view graphics. It shows the time of arrival and of course recalculates the directions if a wrong turn is made or you decide you have a better shortcut for part of the trip. You can also save favorites. It also has a desktop component so that you can check routes on the PC. On the Pocket PC you can let it just run without a destination as well as check a route before traveling. It really is a great product. They have been doing this about as long as Garmin. They use to sell in the retail stores but recently I've only seen one of their products. For this reason I think there isn't a higher awareness of them.

Thanks for the info. It finally got through to me on how to delete from the Treo, one click and the program was gone. I got my 4MB back. I reinstalled on the SD card and everything works great. I HAVE VOICE! Did a quick test this evening and I'm very happy with the product.

can't install tomtom

so i purchased the gps navigator product from the palm store recently to use on my treo. after much hassle and magic words, the install finally worked. i went and bought a 1gb sd card and copied all of the files from the old 256 sd card onto it. and tomtom wouldn't work. could not locate maps etc.. i have been futzing around with it since. now i received the upgrade to 5.0 tomtom. it installs and finds the maps but now it can't locate voice files that i install!! this product is the most buggy product to install i have ever seen on a palm platform. i don't know how a mere mortal could do it. i'm still fighting with it.

Originally posted by That70sGAdawg
    ... The screen is bright, sharp - but small. Even with great eyesight, you will have to mount it closer to have use of the screen. I put velcro on my treo back and stuck it on my steering wheel - not going to work with a power cord, or cassette adapter cords. ....

That70sGAdawg, I hope you don't have a driver airbag in your vehicle. Your Treo could be turned into a deadly projectile if you were ever in an accident.

The side of the steering wheel mount was a one day expierment, as I have 6 airbags in my car.I don't suggest that anyone do that.

I don't use Tomtom on a Treo 650 because of all the negatives listed above. The program currently resides on my VGA 4" screen Ipaq. It's much easier to see the details there.