+ Reply to Thread

7135 > 650 transfer help

I finally have the time to sit here and start on transferring my 7135/old palmdesktop info over to my 650/new palmdesktop. Per the instructions in the sticky, I am at the point of:

-----
    - you will need to beam over your calendar entries from your old device to the 650 so make sure beaming capabilties are turned on for both devices, this is covered in the manuals for the devices if you are not sure how to do this.
    - on your old device, go into the calendar/datebook app, and click "select all" from the "edit" menu. Note that on some devices, the "edit" menu will not appear unless you are in the single day view (as opposed to the week or month view).
    - click "beam category" or "beam event" from the "record" menu. this will beam over what you have selected to the 650. choose to accept the files when the 650 prompts you. perform this procedure for the rest of your calendar/datebook entries. don't forget to turn off the beam option when you are done to conserve battery life. sync the 650.
    -----

I can only select one entry at a time as opposed to selecting my entire calendar. I have successfully beamed over a few individual entries but since I have calendar information several days a week for the year, to sit here and beam each individual one over would take me forever. Is there another way?

i just replaced the existing calendar with a copy from my backup (just make sure you have an extra copy in case anything goes wrong)

Unfortunately, I can't try that until I get home.

Something else I was on the verge of attempting last night (which seems to be along the same idea) was... In the palm desktop, I exported a calendar .dba from my 7135 profile and was thinking I could just import that to the calendar of my 650 profile.

Would this work?

It seems much more simple and efficient than the directions in the sticky so I figured someone must have tried it and failed. I began to wonder if the tables wouldn't match up in the DB so I was scared off and came here to post for advice.

i have done that in the past on my 7135 and found the times were shifted by 2 hours across the board. I don't know why, but it is a possible solution.

I have my laptop at work, which had a copy of my 7135 palm desktop on it. I wanted to try a few things and couldn't wait till I got home to my desktop pc. Plus if something gets screwy on my laptop palm software.. its not a big deal. So I did the following:

1. I made a copy of the datebook.dat file.
    2. Uninstalled the old 7135 palm desktop.
    3. Installed the new palmone desktop that came with my 650.
    4. Put the copied (old) datebook.dat file over the one in the new install.

It seems to have worked perfectly and all my calendar info is in the new palmone desktop.

Is this essentially what you did?

Am I overlooking anything?

that's basically what I did.

However, I made sure both my desktop and laptop were synced first. I assume from your post the laptop may not have been up to date. Just be cautious when you get back to your desktop that the pda may overwrite the desktop so you could lose some data.

btw, this is how i transferred over my contacts as well

I last synced yesterday and haven't added any new calendar dates since so... I'm good.

All appears to be well.

Thanks for the replies.

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar

Export/Import

When I set up my Treo (yesterday), I learned the Datebook of my 7135 days had become the Calendar and now had categories (which I was to learn have different colors). Because my old data file was so different, I looked for another way to transfer my calendar entries. I had no Categories in the old Datebook, and Select All was not functioning.

Then I read the Help file for Palm Desktop. In a total of 30 seconds I:

Used the new Palm Desktop to open my old Datebook and selected Export from the File menu. With no records selected, all were exported to a file I named.

Switched to my Treo user name and one of the categories into which I didn't mind putting all the calendar records. I chose Personal and clicked Import. There was the file I had created, and one click later I had a message saying "6373 records imported."

Now I can choose whether to change the category of some of the old entries. Eventually I'll archive some of them, but now I have more memory on the Treo. So far, so good.
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?