+ Reply to Thread

does anyone have good reception with a verizon treo 650?

i want to buy one and i keep reading how bad the reception is...is it just a few people with problems, or is it everyone?

Mine is somewhat worse than the other VZW phones in my family, but when it works, the audio is outstanding.
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73

reception

I really haven't had any problems with reception. It sounds great to me.
    esmass:p

The reception on my Treo 650 isn't as good as my 7135 was. It generally isn't a problem, but I think I was pretty spoiled by the 7135.
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

I just switched from a VZW 600 to a 650.

I've noticed that the conversation volume of the 650 is not as loud as the 600. It isn't bad, but it is noticable.

The speaker phone speaker on the 650 doesn't sound as clear as the 600. (almost like the speaker is too weak for the phone).

On the flip side. Since the 650 supports Bluetooth, I picked up a wireless headset that works better than any wired set I've ever had!

The reception is about the same as the 600. It is all digital, so It won't work in analog areas. I live in the DFW area and here the phone works very well.

I started with Verizion, went to AT&T, to Sprint, and found myself back at Verizon. I've had either extremely poor service/billing issues (Sprint) or the coverage wasn't very good (AT&T).
    Yes I know that Verizon has it's issues as well, but so far, I've had the best service/connectivity with them.

Mx

Re: does anyone have good reception with a verizon treo 650?

Originally posted by one028
    i want to buy one and i keep reading how bad the reception is...is it just a few people with problems, or is it everyone?
    The reception on my Treo 650 is just as good as my Kyocera 7135 was (That's very good to excellent), but I must say, I have never had reception problems with any phone on Verizon.

Even when I had my Kyocera 6035 the reception was always great.

I guess it could be that I am just in areas where Verizon is very prominent.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Originally posted by Microxot
    I live in the DFW area and here the phone works very well.
    I would dearly love to know how it works in the Little Elm area (extreme western suburbs). My 7135 works well out there, but most Verizon phones seem to be marginal at best.

-PatP

Verz TREO 650=lousy reception

I have been with Verzion since before it WAS Verz. Never had any problems until I got the 650. I had my 650 a total of 6 days. I had a total of 350 (documented)dropped calls because of signal loss. For the 6 days of use I was only able to add 7.5 min total billable useage.
    I am in the Pacific NW, Tacoma, WA, in a 4 tower convergence area. I went as far as Tier 3 support, and was told to return it to the store where I had purchased it. Unfortunately, they didn't have a replacement, and no idea when they would get more in. I really would have liked to keep that phone, the BT was GREAT, PDA functioned flawlessly.
    I didn't want to be phoneless, so I went with the Audiovox XV-6600. I love it and will stay there for now.
    -Respect-
    Artorius

I just bought a verizon provided Treo 650 and so far I'm very pleased with reception. Outside in open areas I continually have 4 bars. In my office building, including basement I have 2-3 bars, and at home I have 3. I have yet to have less than 2 bars anywhere even in normally bad reception areas where my nextel motorola phone had 1 or none.

in NJ/NYC area, both my treo 600 and wife's treo 650 have very good reception. only time it gets bad is if building we're in causes interference

My reception w/ my T650 is dependable, just as it always been!!! No dropped calls...

It's not as good as my 7135 which was outstanding. It may not be a fair comparison. It's as good as any other phone I've owned.

I was skeptical about my new Treo 650 before it arrived, too... but after a week of using it both at home and at school/work, I'm very impressed. We had an Audiovox CDM9900 and LG VX7000 on our family share plan before the Treo, and the reception is maybe slightly worse, if not just as good, as the tri-mode CDM9900 (which is known for having great reception). It's definitely better than my old VX7000. Haven't had one dropped call, even in the hospital. Very impressed! The speakerphone is like every other speaker that's not Motorola (seems to be the only thing they've gotten right on the first try lately), it's usable, but not great. Bluetooth headset is crystal clear and great for those long conversations while stuck in traffic.

I have a VZW 650 that I just upgraded from a Treo 600. I upgraded hoping my signal integrity would improve - foolishly thinking that with a new generation of phone, that PalmOne would make it better. No Such Luck. I live in NE Minneapolis - a city home - not out in the boondocks, and I can't get a signal decent enough to make a call in my home. More importantly, even as I drive around, I find that I operate at 2 bars, maybe 3, rarely 4 - no matter where I'm at. On a good note...I can have a conversation with 1 bar, and sometimes zero...although that gets a little dicey.
    I'm now considering spending $600+ on a booster/repeater so I can at least use my phone in my house...a fairly important thing since I have no land line.
    The form/fit/function of the handset itself is great. I keep telling myself that I'm just expecting too much, but am I???
    I started with a Kyocera 7135 with VZW after 13+ years with ATT and a variety of Nokia handsets. The 7135 was such an unreliable POS that I insisted that VZW do an even-up exchange for a Treo 600. After a year of that and less than glowing results for signal integrity, I'm where I'm at today. Arrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

I'm convinced it's a crapshoot. Where you live, where you drive, where you travel have ALL the bearing on how well your "system" (provider/handset combo) works for you.

Resident Curmudgeon
    I find Bucket's comments interesting.

I've got a 7135 that gets great reception in Saint Louis Park, downtown Minneapolis, at the airport and the mall, and in Bloomington. A co-worker has a 650, and has sometimes needed to borrow my phone in all of those places. That's a large part of why I'm planning to hold on to my 7135 for as long as I can keep it running.

-PatP

Originally posted by bucket
    I have a VZW 650 that I just upgraded from a Treo 600. I upgraded hoping my signal integrity would improve - foolishly thinking that with a new generation of phone, that PalmOne would make it better. No Such Luck. I live in NE Minneapolis - a city home - not out in the boondocks, and I can't get a signal decent enough to make a call in my home. More importantly, even as I drive around, I find that I operate at 2 bars, maybe 3, rarely 4 - no matter where I'm at. On a good note...I can have a conversation with 1 bar, and sometimes zero...although that gets a little dicey.
    I'm now considering spending $600+ on a booster/repeater so I can at least use my phone in my house...a fairly important thing since I have no land line.
    The form/fit/function of the handset itself is great. I keep telling myself that I'm just expecting too much, but am I???
    I started with a Kyocera 7135 with VZW after 13+ years with ATT and a variety of Nokia handsets. The 7135 was such an unreliable POS that I insisted that VZW do an even-up exchange for a Treo 600. After a year of that and less than glowing results for signal integrity, I'm where I'm at today. Arrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

I'm convinced it's a crapshoot. Where you live, where you drive, where you travel have ALL the bearing on how well your "system" (provider/handset combo) works for you.
    I happen to live in St. Louis Park, office based in Plymouth and work out of the Mpls, suburban areas. I have yet to have poor reception in any of these areas with my Treo 650. Since I've previously had disappointing phones I was very concerned before my purchase, however I'm happy to report I couldn't be more pleased with the level of reception.