+ Reply to Thread

Smile new 650 accessory-usb cradle/car kit?

Has anyone seen this nifty item? I just bought one, but it won't be here for a couple weeks. Apparently made by some enterprising Chinese people, comes from Hong Kong. It's a Treo 650 sync cradle. Does not come with a USB cable, but has a generic port. What intrugues me is that it could easily be used for a handsfree car kit, as well as a cradle. It includes a standard 3.5 mm speaker out jack as well as a mic in jack, so you could talk into your mic and listen through the car speakers, while your phone is also plugged into a car charger. Seems pretty versatile. Seller has very good feedback.

ebay seller's store
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 650 accessory-usb cradle/car kit?-b2_1_b.jpg  
    Love my Kyocera 6035, but my Treo 650 is cool too.

can you explain in a more detailed fashion how you would use the audio out mic in jacks. how would it play through car speakers? and can you review it when you get it?

Well, my idea is to use the mic in jack for a regular computer type headset. If you used your cell phone headset you'd have to get a jack to convert down to 2.5mm. The headset out jack would work the same as getting your MP3 player sound into the car stereo-in fact Treo fans who put MP3's on the SD cards could do this too.To get sound into the car stereo in my case, I'll use my cassette converter (about $10 at Radio Shack). One end is a 3.5mm stereo jack, and the other end plugs in to your cassette deck. I suppose the majority of people out there don't have cassette decks any more. Those people could buy the little fm transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack, then tune their fm stereo to the transmitter. I suppose it's all alittle awkward, but I like the possibilities and right now there just aren't many choices in aftermarket goodies for this phone. I'll post a review to this thread after I try the gizmo out. FYI, it's $33 including shipping and insurance. You can get a much better view and description of the product by clicking the link above, and clicking on 'silicone case of pda/mobile' on his page to the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 650 accessory-usb cradle/car kit?-treo650dockc.jpg  
    Last edited by Tomlin; 06-30-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Are you sure it doesn't come with the USB cable? The item I saw on ebay said it came with 1 extension cable....which I ass-u-med ment the USB cable.

Does look like a promising accessory.

Dave

You're right, Dave,

You just read more better than me....

BTW, the seller keeps moving this thing around in his store. It's probably easiest just to search under 'Treo 650' in his stores' search box.

If he doesn't have listings when you look, you can try this link to the auction I won. It should be good for 90 days-to the end Sept '05:

eBay item I won

Ok, I received my cradle from Hong Kong. Shipping was fast, but I was slow to post this. The thing is junk, unfortunately. The mic doesn't pick up sound, and the jack to plug your phone into the cradle is shaped wrong or pointed the wrong way. Another eBayer emailed me to tell me to beware because the cradle headset jack had ruined the phone headset (female) jack, so he can't use headsets anymore. When I emailed the seller to ask for a refund, they said 'sure, just send it back to Hong Kong'. Doesn't seem worth it. Avoid this item!

Has anyone had any luck with this product?

-Smoothop

I guess I'm a sucker... I bought two similar devices on ebay from our friends in the far east. (Bought the 2nd hoping it would be better)

Both sync cradles came w/cables and chargers. Both STINK!!! Both require very carefull placement just to get them to work. The fit is a bit snug, and I'm concerned that it will ruin my device. Needless to say, I was used to the 7135 OEM cradle in which my Kyo slid right in.

FYI - the brand name on the piece of junk is INSTEN, which is probably Chinese for #$%@!

STAY AWAY!!!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    You'd be better of with this cradle from Seidio -> http://store.treocentral.com/content.../6-39--329.htm
    I have one, and it works great!
    Michael

I guess it would be the type that you buy. I wanted to play on the safe side and I bought this one from Insten. It is USB and I have never had problems with it. I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 650 accessory-usb cradle/car kit?-photo_101305_001.jpg  
    esmass:p