+ Reply to Thread

Magnum Case for the Palm Treo 650

I just ordered this case from InnoPocket and wondered if anyone has heard anything about them?

http://www.innopocket.com/web/showPr...code=HT%2D3110

I had an aluminium case for the 600, but this case looks way better and is double hinged (so the cover wraps around to the back and is out of the way).

I was actually surprised that when I pre-ordered it, I got an email the next day saying that they shipped it already (evev though the website said coming soon).

please review it when you get it. looks interesting.

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Re: Magnum Case for the Palm Treo 650

Originally posted by Microxot
    I just ordered this case from InnoPocket and wondered if anyone has heard anything about them?

http://www.innopocket.com/web/showPr...code=HT%2D3110

I had an aluminium case for the 600, but this case looks way better and is double hinged (so the cover wraps around to the back and is out of the way).

I was actually surprised that when I pre-ordered it, I got an email the next day saying that they shipped it already (evev though the website said coming soon).
    Wonder what alloy... for magnesium by itself is soft. WIll have to contact them for details.

Found a review at TreoBits, BTW.
    Last edited by johnbartley; 06-30-2005 at 05:16 PM.
    John Bartley K7AAY | http://celdata.cjb.net | http://kiloseven.blogspot.com

A review has been posted at TreoBits.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Mag Case Review

See my Treo 650 Mag Case Review here...

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...926#post361926

Let me try this again. (lost my whole post when the window died).

Both my case and my egrips came in yesterday. I was surprised that I got the case so quickly since I only paid for slow mail. It came airmail directly from Hong Kong!

I agree with some of Medhelper's review, but my observations were slightly differnt.

Pros:

* Solid case! Stronger than the Aluminium cases.

* Sleek black contoured design. Looks alot more professional than the tin looking aluminium cases. I also like that it is black so it doesn't stick out if I am dressed up. I hope that the material is black and not just a black coating. Otherwise scratches are going to make the case look bad. I'll find out over time.

* Cut-outs are exact and match the phone devices perfectly.

* Protective plastic screen does a great job protecting native screen

* Good access to charger, sync, headphone slots, side buttons, as well as the stylus and SD slots (on the phone). I remember on the old aluminium, you had to open the door to get to the SD slot and ringer switch. This is a nice change.

* Door is double hindged so it can wrap behind more effectively than the old single hindge Aluminium cases that only opened 180 degrees. (note Cons below)

* The door clicks close better on this case than aluminium cases. Since this is a more sturdy metal, the clip isn't pliable and possibly bend away from clip when closing.

* Side note - I was able to get my Treo with egrips into the case (barely). I like to know if for some reason I have to pull my treo out, I still have a better grip on it.

Cons:

* Would like to see the back and side wall a little higher around the antenna.

* The pin (that the belt clip connects to) gets in the way of the door when trying to wrap behind case. I forsee the front screen protector getting scratched over time. When that time comes, I may consider using a drimmel and making a hole so the pin can not hinder the door wrapping around - maybe.

* The need for an SD card holder on the back of the case. I rarely use more than one card so why do I need space on a case that only serves to make it more bulky.

Notes:

*I didn't find the case to be that heavy or bulky. It is heavier than that aluminium case, but I think the stronger metal will help it to survive drops and bangs better. It is slightly larger than the aluminium cases, but not so much that I find it a big negative.

*I didn't have any issue pressing the clip to release the phone. Though it does seem to take an extra effort in pushing the phone into the clip. On a side note, I really like the clip design that InnoPocket has. It seems to hold/lock in the phone better than most of the other clips on the market. I've never had the phone slip out of this clip (and have had many problems with others in that past).

* I didn't find a problem with the need to open the door to access the keyboard. The 650 has a better use of the navigation keys than the 600. Most of the applications are now coming out with 650 compatibility and use of the navigation keys so the need to open the door is less likely.

* I also didn't find the Cut-out of main panel difficult to use. I have big hands. If there is a problem for me, it is more that the keys are small (rightly so, since the phone is small).

Of course the true test will be over time. (How come nobody reviews products after a year of ownership? Some products are great when they come out, but don't wear well over time). Hopefully I'll like this case enough to keep my phone in it more than I did the aluminium ones.

I just received an email on Friday from InnoPocket. They said that due reported problem with the SD card holder on a batch of cases, they are sending me a new case.

Wow, I didn't even know I had a problem.

Mx

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    I just put up my mag case review in my case thread here Proclip Vs. Seidio

It starts on 7-18-05