+ Reply to Thread

How to have 2 SMS-capable numbers in Contacts?

My co-workers and I all have one-way text pagers that can receive SMS. Most of us also have cell phones.

So I enter Bob's mobile number as "mobile" and his pager number as "pager."

When I try to send an SMS and I go to my Contacts, it only lists mobile numbers and e-mail addresses.

I just realized that I could list the pager number as a second "Mobile" number, and can then send an SMS to the pager.

Still, that means I have to remember which number is which. Is there some way I can tell the 650 that it's OK to send SMS to pagers?

With phone numbers I sometimes enter text to help me out with deciding which number to use. For instance when someone travels between two locations I'll write FLxxx-xxxx for Florida and another code to mean a different area. The phone only dials the numerics. I haven't tried this with SMS but maybe the idea will work. With SMS I think there is a better chance of it working if you put the number first and then a space and then the description. It maybe worth a try.

I tried my idea and it didn't work. Oh well at least worth trying.

Re: How to have 2 SMS-capable numbers in Contacts?

Originally posted by mwshook
    My co-workers and I all have one-way text pagers that can receive SMS. Most of us also have cell phones.

So I enter Bob's mobile number as "mobile" and his pager number as "pager."

When I try to send an SMS and I go to my Contacts, it only lists mobile numbers and e-mail addresses.

I just realized that I could list the pager number as a second "Mobile" number, and can then send an SMS to the pager.

Still, that means I have to remember which number is which. Is there some way I can tell the 650 that it's OK to send SMS to pagers?
    Why not just use the email address for the pager and use the email program that comes on the 650? That works great for me on my T5 and Versamail, as it did on my 7135...