+ Reply to Thread

anyone switched from an i500?

Has anyone switched to a Treo from an i500?
    Do you carry this phone in your pocket?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, I switched from the i500. The 650 is a little larger, and the screen isn't naturally protected, but the functionality of the 650 is HUGE compared to the i500. From the basics like SMS support to the fact that I was watching Kill Bill on my 650 earlier today, I think this phone is a great step up.

I do carry it in my pocket, although I recently got a holster for it that I really like.

I had the i500 and got a vzw 650. It is too big to carry in your pocket, a pouch on your belt is ok, but mine fell from the pouch yesterday and scared it a little. The main deal is the fantastic screen and the camera is actually pretty good for .3 mega pixel. I got a Sony Ericcson BT headphone, and that is cool.

I just came over to the Treo650 from the i500 last week. My script stopped working. I read the forum and is a known problem with the original i500's. I guess it is amazing it took so long for the problem to pop up for me.

Even though the i500 is smaller I always kept my keys, change, etc in the other pocket. With the Treo I do the same and will not put anything in the pocket where I keep it. It is larger but it isn't noticable. I refuse to keep it on a holster since it is more than just a phone.

PCS Connection Manager

Has anyone used the Treo with Sprint's PCS Connection Manager Software?

Thanks for the question, I'm thinking of switching from the I500 to the 650.
    Lyoung, what do you mean "script stopped"?

I was not able to write anything using the stylus and I couldn't even bring up the virtual keyboard. I tried calibrating the screen and that did nothing to fix it. I did a hard reset and everything started working again for a couple of days and then stopped. Searching on the i500 forum at this site I discovered the problem occurred on the early manufactured phones. I bought mine the first week it came out. One fix was to install one of the third party scripting programs but I wasn't in the mood. I was always annoyed with the small screen. I complained about it and most of the i500 users disagreed with me except for a few. Very few of the important programs can be updated on the i500 which included the browser. I was annoyed with the screen, getting tired of the browser and then after the scripting went the browser couldn't connect because of an out of date issue. There is a fix for the old date problem but I was at the end of my rope. After eyeing the Treo650 since it came out and feeling run down and knowing Samsung refuses to release the upgraded phone in the U.S. I moved to the Treo650. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I love the Treo 650 but there are a number of things about the Treo that to me are annoying. I plan to start a thread with my issues to see what people have to say. Many of the issues I believe are Palm OS issues. It is clear if the Linux Palm OS is a failure then Palm has no choice but to goto Microsoft. I am a Microsoft fan but I've always owned a Palm device. It is kind of sad that Palm software has become stale.

I agree, I'm actually wondering how to update my browser myself so thanks for the tip. Did you think about the I600 at all? Same phone w/ Microsoft technology. I use Outlook alot and it "seems" that an I600 would synch better than the I500, but no one has proved it yet.

I really wanted a Palm phone and I liked the larger screen on the Treo650 compared to the I600. I was also turned off when a salesman said the I600 was the I500 upgrade. Probably stupid to react that way but I felt I was being taken. All the manufactures hold back information but I felt Samsung got so secretive even about things that became general knowledge that I just didn't want to give them more of my money. So I did look at it when it first came out but never seriously considered it. I felt I would be buying the same phone but in the MS version. The Treo650 is an upgrade.

I was scared of the keyboard on the Treo. Every time I tried it at a store I walked away thinking I could never enjoy it. Now I never want to use graffiti again. The keyboard is fantastic. With this phone I can write long email responses without thinking how can I shorten my response. I feel the browser loads faster than what I had on the i500 so I'm using the browser more often for that reason and because the screen is larger. Did I mention I wanted a larger screen

I agree, Samsung is really pissing me off, then of course Sprint is also. You maybe right the I600 isn't an upgrade it's closer to the same phone (although it has MP3 and expansion card capability). I was drawn to the I600 because of the ability to be "one handed". The I500 is good, but I find I need to use the stylus and the buttons. How's the 650 with this?

You are correct about the i600 having MP3 and a card slot so it is slightly better than the i500.

I maybe still too new to the Treo650 but most of the time you do not need the stylus and entry can be made with one hand. There are times it seems when the stylus is the only way. There are times when it is not easy to page down for example. I liked the i500 side button that allowed you to page down. The middle 5 position button will page down in a number of areas but there are some areas where it looks like it is not possible to page down. Getting phone numbers and initiating a call can be made with one hand or at least on the keyboard without the need for a stylus. I've been so conditioned to remove the stylus that I have to force myself to not go for it.

Originally posted by lyoung
    Many of the issues I believe are Palm OS issues. It is clear if the Linux Palm OS is a failure

What is this "Linux Palm OS"?

then Palm has no choice but to goto Microsoft.

You mean they will all go to work for Microsoft? Isn't Palm basically an OS company that enables sales by selling devices it runs on? Their core business is not the hardware.

I am a Microsoft fan but I've always owned a Palm device. It is kind of sad that Palm software has become stale.

Stale? how so. Not exciting? To whom?

My reasons for the Palm operating system being stale may be way off the mark as to what the experts attribute the problem to be at this time. For me the problems have to do with no way to create subfolders, only so many memo categories can be created and the fact that the OS is not robust. Microsoft always creates for the future or some people might say with no regard for anything or anybody. In other words when the processor speeds on the PDA's were slow Palm shined and it looked like Microsoft created a bloated monster that would never amount to anything. Who wants to look at an hour glass on a PDA? Now that the speeds are ramping up, Microsoft now has an OS that can just about handle PC type of tasks and Palm is still stuck in a rut. I also think the problem of having to convert mp3 files and Adobe files to be read on the Palm have to do with the OS. I don’t want to have to be connected to the desktop to download those files.

After Palm bought Handspring they broke off the hardware and software (OS) into two companies. If I have it right Palmsource is the software and PalmOne which just bought the Palm name back is the hardware side. So the people building the hardware, Treo650's etc did say they are not tied to the Palm OS and could move to a different operating system. There were rumors that the next phone was going to be a Microsoft mobile phone. Recently there have been articles stating that PalmSource plans to come out with a Linux based OS. This announcement is messing up their plans for the development of the next generation Palm OS.

http://news.cnet.co.uk/handhelds/0,3...9189502,00.htm

Full disclosure: I am an old time PC fanatic and I love to read about the direction of technology. At the same time I am not an expert and I apologize if I have made some factual mistakes or left out an important point. This has been an interesting thread.