+ Reply to Thread

Angry [RANT] Lack of accessories and battery life

I left town on Friday to go spend the weekend with the folks. Halfway there I realized I had forgotten the charger for my 650. Damn. (My own stupid fault.) No big deal, I think, as there's a Verizon Wireless store near them. I'll just stop in and pick up another one.

Fat chance! I walk in and the walls are COVERED with every imaginable piece of crap you would ever want to put on or hook up to those $9.99 phones. TONS of it. I tell the "hostess" what I wanted. They don't have any.

I had this same problem with my 7135. Why is it that when you own the most expensive phone available, the stores don't seem to carry ANY of the accessories for it?! I could NEVER find ANYTHING for my 7135 unless I ordered it online. Now, I live in the middle of nowhere (Northern New York State) and have to travel 80 miles just to GET to an actual Verizon Wireless storefront. My local Radio Shack "does the Verizon Thing," but I hardly expect their little corner of the store to have "everything." Is this problem of not being able to get accessories that are specific to my phone "off the shelf" specific to my area, or does everyone suffer this?

I won't even get in to the subject of the ultimate nuisance that is the fact that every cell phone ever made has a DIFFERENT POWER CONNECTOR. I honestly don't have the energy.

My next question is one of Battery life. "Ok," I say to myself, "you're an idiot for forgetting your charger. So what are you going to do?" Well, I turned my phone, usually always ON, off figuring I'd just turn it on a few times over the weekend to either use it or check Voice Mail. That was great for Friday night and all of Saturday. I had hardly used any power at all, if the battery indicator could be believed. Sunday morning I woke up and turned on the Palm, and was informed my batteries were low and that I should plug in my charger. How'd it go from almost full to almost DEAD overnight? The phone was OFF. Is this typical?

Thanks,
    ...ROMeyn
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/
    signat-url.htm

I would expect with accessories you don't have to stick with your cell company. If Sprint or the other companies that sell the Treo were in the area you probably could have found the accessory. Just an idea for the next time and something I just thought of as I was reading your message. If in a similar situation I'm going to look for the other company.

Your phone was off but it never really goes off. Although I would have expected the battery to do a better job with the phone part off.

lyoung is absolutely correct. In my pre-650 days, I owned a Treo 600 and VZW did not seem to carry any of the items I needed to acsessorize the phone. Since other carriers sold the phone, I went to their stores in order to buy what I needed,

Stalker768

Also, in such circumstances, make sure the BlueTooth is turned off, since it uses power when on.
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73

Sprint's a great idea. I don't know if there's a Sprint stpre where I was, but if there is, I'll find it!!!

I did turn off Bluetooth, but I just realized I left Beam Receive on, and I know that can really hit battery life too. :-/
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/
    signat-url.htm

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    i found that my battery life has increased dramatically using TreoGaurd. My radio shuts off at 10pm during the week and 11pm on the weekend. It comes back on at 7am on weekdays and 8am on weekends. You can set it to whatever yo like. It is fantastic and my batt lasts all week now. (use BT only after work)
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

sprint is a no go either..

I have run into the same problem. I have a Treo650 and travel for a living. I have on more than one occasion left my charger at home.

As you thinking I could just stop at any sprint store and atleast pick up a charger. Nope.

If you have a comp usa near you, they actually stock treo650 accessories.

Or, if you are in a real bind, the Treo650 and the Palm Tungsten T5 share the same connector. So if you can find a store that sells normal palm T5 stuff, you may be in luck.

Though, now the sprint store do carry a few items. Though at a really high markup.