+ Reply to Thread

New Treo with EV-DO and WiFi coming????

Walked into my local Sprint store yesterday to return a phone and I asked about how the EV-DO roll out was going. In the middle of the conversation the guy told me that this fall Sprint and Verizon is supposed to be coming out with a TREO that did WiFi and EV-DO.

I'm not sure if this is credible because someone around here would have heard about it first.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?
    Just remember, You can love your phone but you can't LOVE your phone.

Yes, its true, Verizon folks are all-knowing, and all-seeing. It's called the Treo 670-700, because it's two models in one. It also has a built in mp4 high definition camera, and expanding display that will do 640x480, an unfolding keyboard that mimics those on notebook PC's. It also includes a built in GPS, and the first ever wireless microwave battery recharging system. It has some cool-as-all-get-out accessories too, including full voice+video recognition, and a replicator for those times when you are out in BFE and a bit hungry.

Honestly, I am sad that you were treated the way you were. My ONLY big issue about Verizon is the "Russian Roulette" you get when trying to get information, they are SOOO inconsistent. It COULD be the i730, which has EV-DO and Wifi, but is a WinMo device. No camera and lower resolution than the Treo though. There have also been some bogus rumours started by excited folks and Windows people wanting to stir up trouble . P1 has announced new devices, but for VZW to get them that quick would take some doing. Regardless, for VZW to replace something that they are selling as fast as they are would be marketing suicide, and something that VZW has rarely done with their "wait-and-see_ approach to new devices. In fact the i730 comes as a surprise in itself, as it is UNIQUE to Verizon . They didn't even release the t650 until Sprint had had it already almost a year. You are smart to check the forums first Then again, this could all change next week.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Originally posted by Copasetic
    Yes, its true, Verizon folks are all-knowing, and all-seeing.

Honestly, I am sad that you were treated the way you were. My ONLY big issue about Verizon is the "Russian Roulette" you get when trying to get information, they are SOOO inconsistent.
    Ok... we know your feelings on VZW. Now tell us what you think about the Sprint store that whistler was in.

-Quick

Resident Curmudgeon
    I'm pretty sure that the Wi-Fi could be done now with an SDIO card. The EV-DO will take more doing, since that involves a significant software change. Based on what I've heard, the hardware should be "good to go", but the software needs some pretty significant upgrade/testing.

-PatP

EVDO requires new hardware. Software most definitely is not the problem.

Sprint Veteran

No hardware change needed

Actually pdaone the Qualcomm MSM's these Days, which only sprint and verizon use, have EV-DO built into the chip... it all depends if Qualcomm included that in the package with the chipset... it is a very difficult process... say a company buys royalty rights for EV-DO support, then after a software update and thousands of tests later by the maker... you've got EV-DO !

originally posted by PatP
    I'm pretty sure that the Wi-Fi could be done now with an SDIO card.
    agreed ! Nice thinking on this idea but wifi would need more data lines that that of an SDIO. i was thinking more along the lines of a data stick that fits in the Cradle connector...
    PPC-6700
    2GB Mini SD
    Parrot CK3100

Resident Curmudgeon

Re: No hardware change needed

Originally posted by HW GUY
    Actually pdaone the Qualcomm MSM's these Days, which only sprint and verizon use, have EV-DO built into the chip...
    Yep, that it is.
    Originally posted by HW GUY
    agreed ! Nice thinking on this idea but wifi would need more data lines that that of an SDIO. i was thinking more along the lines of a data stick that fits in the Cradle connector...
    I'm thinking that this doesn't take much majik, as ShadowMite has already done it.

-PatP