+ Reply to Thread

Old Bell Ringtone

Is anyone using the "Old Bell Ringtone" on their Treo 650. I used this sound on my Kyo 7135 since I work in construction and want to use it on this phone. I know I can covert it over, but I will not have much time to do this for several days and was hoping someone else had converted it. If you have it, I can be emailed at jim@mail.jch.us. Thanks

Resident Curmudgeon
    You don't need to convert anything, just beam/copy/whatever the file over to the storage card on your Treo, and rename the file extension to .MP3

-PatP

I gave up programming many years ago, but I don't see how just changing the extension to .mp3 will help. As it is I believe the Treo wants a .midi file for ringtones. Everything I have read requires a conversion using 1 or two different programs.

Gino

Gino

Dude, Can't explain the technical reasons why this works but it does as PatP states. Any 7135 pdb ring tone file can be listened to as an MP3 by merely changing the extension. Of course it doesn't go the other way. If you have an MP3 you cannot change it to a 7135 pdb ringtone without (as you pointed out) converting it. Go figure.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    It's more than just renaming the file. On the Treo 650, you have to have a program to play MP3's (like Pocket Tunes Deluxe) and a program to "intercept" the incoming calls and perform specific actions on that event (like LightWav). I use those programs on my Treo 650 to play the Old Bell Telephone MP3 when someone calls me. People around me really get a kick out of it when I get a call!
    Michael

I think this is it

Here is a file. I think this should work for you.
    The easiest way to install the file is to download it while browsing with the TREO
    There are instructions on the board to download it to your SD card and pick it up from there.

If helpful, here is the original site where I got it from.

http://portal.treobits.com/index.php?ind=ringtones&d=o
    Attached Files
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    It's more than just renaming the file. On the Treo 650, you have to have a program to play MP3's (like Pocket Tunes Deluxe) and a program to "intercept" the incoming calls and perform specific actions on that event (like LightWav). I use those programs on my Treo 650 to play the Old Bell Telephone MP3 when someone calls me. People around me really get a kick out of it when I get a call!
    Michael, you're right I left that part out as I was addressing the conversion part. Yes you do need a player (I use Ringo) to make this all work as a ring tone.

Thanks for the info

Let me see if I have this right,

1st Pocket Tunes to Play the Tone--Have This already
    2nd Lightwave to "intercept" the call and assign the tone
    3rd Ringo to play the Tune

If I made any wrong assumptions let me know. I will take a break from this heat and try to get this installed now.

I appreciate all the Help. This was a lot simpler on my Kyo, then again my Kyo only had 4 lives.

Gino

Resident Curmudgeon
    Gino:

Don't get too reved up on this... I can probably get you a MIDI equivalent for OldPhone.MP3 relatively easily when I get home late tonight. I'm just not sure how it will sound as a MIDI file.

-PatP

Resident Curmudgeon
    A quick search for a MIDI version of OldPhone turned up a reasonable approximation at TreoBits that might do.

-PatP

Done and Thanks

Loaded Poctet Tunes and Ringo along with the mp3 on my card and it works fine. Did not need lightwav at all.

Thanks for all the comments.

7135 Died.
    so can you only play mp3 ringers if you have those applications and an sd card?

or can i just rename the file to mp3 and use those applications?
    Former 6035. Former 7135. Former Treo 650. Current Motorola Q.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I believe you need to have all of the above (applications and SD card) to make it work.
    Michael

Getting old Ringtone working

I have all calls default to old ringtone sound and decided to not pay for Ringo. So far all calls have the old ringtone sound and I only have PTunes loaded. A nice barebones method.