+ Reply to Thread

Realaudio - streaming

This was briefly discussed awhile ago before I owned a Treo. I still can't believe it isn't possible to stream or retrieve previously recorded programming from the Net. For instance previously recorded NPR programs. Even if streaming doesn't work I have a hard time believing it isn't possible to grab an already existing audio program file. Even if the format has to be converted from the desktop why isn't there a program to grab the file and do the conversion on the fly?

It is like saying you can have a browser on the Treo but in order to display the pages you have to download the data from the desktop. Am I wrong about what is possible? What is the deal? We are in the dark ages when it comes to audio? This is crazy.
    Please tell me I am wrong and the solution is obvious. I bought a memory card for my Treo because it said Realaudio only works when the data is on the card. I bought it thinking I solved the problem. Sorry for the rant.

www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Thanks for responding but I want to grab the programming directly to my Treo when away from the computer. From what I can see Shoutcast maybe the best solution so far. I emailed NPR to see if they will use it. Apparently they use shoutcast for some of their music programs but not for any or all of the talk shows.

As of right now, shoutcast is your only option unless you want to do transcoding from one stream format to another on your own PC. Then you would listen to the converted stream on your PC. This of course depends on your upstream bandwidth of your internet connection for your PC. Of course this isn't the simplest solution, but it's about the only option if the stream you want to listen to isn't mp3/shoutcast.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Podcast?

I thought I saw on a palm site where one can purchase software to get podcasts? Is this a possibility?

I believe QuickNews supports it, but it requires the podcast to be listed in a RSS feed.
    www.treobits.com

It is all interesting and sometimes I think each alternative just misses the spot but I will check out Quicknews. Although Quicknews is not audio. I discovered another option that really isn't one for us. It is called Mspot. It is a subscription service and Sprint offers it but only with a couple of phones. They are the Sanyo MM-5600 and 7400. If you are curious you can check it out at www.mspot.com. It looks decent but they only provide streaming live audio. I want to listen to archived NPR programs like Science Friday, etc.

Originally posted by lyoung
    I want to listen to archived NPR programs like Science Friday, etc.
    Have you found anything useful for podcasting? I'm curious, trying some things out now. If you respond I'll let you know what I'm trying. At work now and don't have access to my software.

I purchased Pocket Tunes but even that is not great. The Shoutcast broadcasts stop every minute and then restart. It doesn't matter what program or at what location. I have the problem even when there is a strong signal. From what I can gather there is no way to directly retrieve and play MP3 files or streaming radio programs. This among other things will be the reason why this maybe my last Palm.

What are you testing out?

I've said it before but there is no excuse for Palm not being able to handle MP3 files or for that matter handle any web site. Years ago we could say this is fun stuff and we are exploring new ground. That exuse doesn't work anymore.