+ Reply to Thread

Data Connection - Tracking and Closing After Use

Well it happened. I was using an application called Pocket Express to check some movie times and I thought I closed the data connection and I didn't. Essentially I ended up with an open data connection through the entire showing of Batman Begins. Being on pay as you go with Verizon I'm in for a whopper of a bill.

I have 2 questions:

1. Tracking Data Use - Verizon's web site states its "data used figures" are only accurate (up to date?) to like 7 days ago or something like that. So I don't know exactly how much I used. I know there is a program out there called Treo 600/650 PhoneToolsPro Suite to track phone and data usage. Does anyone have any experience with this program and Verizon. Is it accurate to some degree?

2. Turn off data connection - I also know there are a couple programs out there (e.g. Treo Helper which I looked at but don't get it? and Battery Doctor which is equally confuising as to how to use it, that will shut off the phone or the data connection or something after being idle (not sure what that means). Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work?

I guess what I'm saying is I am trying to avoid getting an unlimited data plan and hoping there is some software that works out there that will save me from myself

When I had purchased my Treo600. Verizon somehow missed putting the data package on my plan. I played with the web brower and WorldMate a few times and didn't think much of it.
    Next month, I got something like a $400 phone bill! ($300+ in data charges). I about had a heart attack!

I called Verizon and explained to them that I had requested that data packaged and they dropped the charges. (whew!).

I wish Treo had a preference to that you could turn on/off that would disconnect data after 1/3/5 minutes of no activity. I stared to make sure that at the end of my web browsing, I clicked on EDIT-DISCONNECT. (another gripe, WorldMate doesn't have a disconnect option, so after use of checking weather, I'd have to open the browser to disconnect the data link).

Wow - Hard to believe I'm the only guy that has a data connection issue. (other then Microxot) and has comething to say about it.

Also surprising is that no one using these programs can comment on if they are helpful.

Hey most of the Old 7135 forum, guys are on this forum and we always answered every question.

isnt there a bright annoying orange light when it is connected to data? at least on mine there is, when it disconnects, the orange light goes away...

I've noticed the same problems with it not disconnecting, but my solution involves paying for the unlimited data plan and expensing the phone bill at work.

Check this out under "Call Air Time Usage". It says something about closing the data connection with it's Connection Manager

http://smartphonetools.treobits.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=17012&category_id=248
    Last edited by Shea; 07-11-2005 at 07:18 AM.
    Release the Hounds!

Originally posted by Shea
    I've noticed the same problems with it not disconnecting, but my solution involves paying for the unlimited data plan and expensing the phone bill at work.

Check this out under "Call Air Time Usage". It says something about closing the data connection with it's Connection Manager

http://smartphonetools.treobits.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=17012&category_id=248
    Yeah I hear you I wish I had the luxury to charge someone else but alas I'm stuck with it. As I mentioned in my orignal post above I did see that Smartphone Tools does have this "Data Connection Closer" part of its program but I've had a lot of software say they could do a lot of things (and this thing says it can do plenty) but they didn't always live up to their promotions. I was hoping for some feedback from users who have had good, bad or indifferent luck with it.

i'm really considering buying the phone details program i mentioned, and i'll let you know if it works, but am hesitating because there is no demo period. $20 is a lot of money for something that i consider a luxury program.
    Release the Hounds!

Exactly the reason I didn't grab it. It looks like a real Swiss Army knife kind of thing but honestly everytime I try that those kind of programs I've be less then fully satisfied. Albeit I would agree if it saved me some large numbers on my data bill then it would be worth the price of admisison. If you jump let me know how the landing is.

Hi,

I know this thread is rather old, but just thought I would share my results with PhoneTools. The only reason I purchased it was to track my Data Plan. So far it isn't even close.

I have the issue on their support forum to see if I am doing something wrong... and will report if something was amiss. For now though I don't think this software is ideal to track Data Plan info.

From what I have been reading it may not be their fault though as this seems to be a tricky thing to track judging by the fact that they seem to be the only software I can find even trying to offer this capability. (Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

If anyone needs something to track Data Packets my humble opinion would be to not go with this one especially since there is no trial version.

Thanks
    ST

When they pry it from my cold hand. tivolutionist's Avatar
    I use TreoHelper myself. It's screens can be a bit confusing, but one you want is labeled 'Drop Net' and let's you set how long you want to wait before your phone drops the network connection in different states: green arrows (active), grey arrows (idle connection), and no coverage (not sure why this one is here).

It also allows you to have the phone perform certain functions when specific strings are received in SMS messages. I use one of these as a means to lock the phone via SMS.

It can turn the phone on and off automatically at pre-set times. It can turn the phone off if you have no signal for a certan length of time (and then turn it back on long enough to search for a signal every so often if you like).

One of my favorites is it will turn the phone on automatically after a reset.

There are several different programs that do these tasks, and even a few that will do all of them, but TreoHelper is free!

I will admit the drop-net functionality does not always work for me, but this could be that I have the delay set too long and it doesn't actually consider it 'idle' for 10 min since the phone goes 'active' every so often for status checks, I think.

It has some extra bells and whistles for older model Treos that have the flip-lid, but just ignore those and you're good.

My only real complaint is that the phone has to be turned on for the app to run. A small annoyance if you want to change a setting and the phone is turned off, but I can live with it (especially for FREE)

If you're interested, here's the link to the latest version: http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/

Stmax - thanks for sharing your experience. It's kind of what I was afraid might happen to me. (.e.g. buy software, dosen't meet expectations, no recourse).

But, maybe someone out there will enlighten us We'll see.