+ Reply to Thread

Using a pause in a phone number

Hi,

I just switched from the 7135 to the 650. On my 7135 I created a contact to dial my voicemail and auto enter my password. This contact is not working on the 650. When I try and create a speed dial using it it tells me "invalid character in phone number".
    When I dial it from my contacts it dials the number but does not go through the pause and password entry.

The number I am trying to dial is;

111-555-1212,,,#12345,,11

What is the pause key? I searched the user guide, but no luck there.

Thanks,
    Chatch

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar

Favorites - Dial Extra Digits Automatically

I have been wrestling with this brain teaser too.

If you have the Verizon Treo 650, the answer appears to be on page 54. Other models may be on a different page, but the text is discussing

Defining a Favorite Button --> Creating a Favorite Button

and at the bottom of that page

Dial Extra Digits Automatically - Dials predefined extra digits immediately after dialing the phone number (in the Favorite button), when checked.

Of course I see this does not answer our question of controlling the speed or flow of the extra digits, as needed by a call response system. The only answer I see now is that you manually activate a second flow of digits by pushing one button on the screen. It doesn't help you with your third flow of digits.

But aren't we glad we can create a smiley face automatically?
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?

You can sort of do this

I too had many phone numbers with pauses and prompts on my 7135. It was such a superior phone implentation with Voice Dial, pause, prompts and speed dials compared to the Treo.

You can however do some of what you want in two ways:

the extra digits function in the favorites buttons allows for pauses by using commas. So you can set up delays after the phone has released after dialing the 10 digit number. This works whether you set extra digits to automaticaly dial or you manually select when to dial additional digits. This allow you to sequence more than one set of digits as the extra digits. Note this only works with the favorites button number. The contacts application does not support this.

or you can use TakePhone which provides this caoability in your contact list so I believe all your contacts can support this. I am not 100% sure of this but I did try it once and it seems to work. I tried TakePhone and it was just too complex for my use. I know others swear by it.

Good luck. it would be great if we could mate our clamshell 7135 and it phone capability with the OS5, bluetooth, PDA capability of the Treo 650.

Thanks for the help. I almost got voicemail to work. Using the favorites button and adding extra digits allows me to auto enter the password. I used to add in the extra 11 to take me into new messages, but that dosn't work on the 650.

I have to dial-in to many conferece calls throughout the week and I set up a contact for each one with all the prompts and password all ready setup. Its a shame I can't use them any more.

I am going to give Takephone a try.

Thanks,
    Chatch

Voicemail 11 for new messages

I hadn't realized the 11 no longer worked. I had taken out of my voicemail anyway.

Thanks for letting me know.

Marv

Interesting... instead of the comma to create a delay, I've been using the lower case letter "p". When I used the comma for Verizion voicemail, it did not seem to delay enough and I often got the Verizon gal saying my code was not valid. I never get that when using the "p".

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar

Commas

marvw and jrowlings are correct. The comma is discussed not in the manual, but in the Tip you can get to (tap the "i" in the upper right) when you are setting up the Edit a Favorite Button for a speed dial, and Dial Extra Digits Automatically.

The tip says a comma is worth about one second. I would use two if one is not enough, but I can believe a lower case p would work. Also, the automatic dialing of the extra digits is said (in this tip) to begin two seconds after the initial digits are dialed. You may need to add pauses or commas right at the start of your extra digits, if your main number is always slow to answer.

The pause and extra digits automatic dial is working for my Verizon Voice Mail.

Can anyone remind me what the differences are when you dial your own cell phone number (for Verizon Voice Mail) versus *86?
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?

When they pry it from my cold hand. tivolutionist's Avatar
    I just got off the phone with Verizon yesterday about the *86 vs actual-phone number to access voice mail.

The difference used to be that *86 was airtime free. The rep I spoke to said that back around April, this difference was removed, so there is no effective difference between the two methods of which I am aware at this point.

Just to be perfectly clear: By 'no difference' I mean that it is no longer a free call to check your voicemail unless you use a phone other than your cell to call your voice mail.

I was just forced to give up my 7135 because it failed. I hit the "pause issue" and did some searching to find out what is going on.

In regards to *86 vs. using your own number. If you have free "mobile to mobile" minutes on verizon then calling your own number is airtime free... not sure if *86 is any more.

I always dial my own number and it shows up on my bill as "mobile to mobile".

Regards, SLYDoggie

Here's what I've found works on my Treo 650. Under the Voice Mail favorites button select the More button.

Under Extra Digits I have the following.

,,,,#1234#,11

where your password is: 1234

From what I gather it says that the "Extra Digits" get dialed 2 seconds after the call is connected. Although it doesn't seem to wait for 2 seconds after the call is established. Each ',' is a one second pause. Alternatively you can use a "p" for a 2 second pause.

Actually being the impatient person that I am I use the following. The ",66" at the end causes the messages to play faster. Although if you don't have any messages the lady tells you that the "6" is an incorrect key.

,,,,#1234#,11,66

-Nick

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

joining in the pause fun

Originally posted by nkovacs
    Here's what I've found works on my Treo 650. Under the Voice Mail favorites button select the More button.

Under Extra Digits I have the following.

,,,,#1234#,11

where your password is: 1234

-Nick

I am using:

#,,xxxx#,,11 (xxxx is your password)
    works everytime
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Thumbs up p.s. on pausing

Unchecking the 'Dial Digits Automatically'
    brings back the ability to release a 2nd string of numbers manually.

I use this feature to call my wife at work. Before 5pm the secretary answers so the digits for her extension remain at the ready but are not transmitted. When I call after 5pm I just tap the 'extra digits' icon that appears on the right on the screen to release her extension to the automated system.
    It is very handy indeed. Just hard to find in the manual or by playing with your Treo.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)