+ Reply to Thread

Great phone but...

I know all or bits and pieces have been discussed here before and on other forums but I think these issues if you agree should be in Palm/PalmSource's face. I am coming from the Samsung i500 and I love the Teo650 but the more I use it the more I get frustrated. Frustrated in the fact that this is not a first or second generation smartphone. At this point the little things should have been fixed by now. It would be great to hear if people think I'm all wet or if these things burn you also. If not then just let the thread die a slow death as it drops off the forum. Unless Palm does something fantastic or the next Treo's are just truly amazing then I think this is my last Palm phone despite how much I think the Treo650 is such a great smartphone. I said it with the i500 but now I think I'm closer to leaving the Palm OS.

Folders - Come on why can't we still not create directory trees?

Folders - Why are we still limited to the number of memo folders
    we can create?

Programs - They should be able to run in Ram or on the card no
    excuses.

Card - I should be able to see all the files on the card without using a reader on the PC or buying a 3rd party program to see them on the Treo.

Nice to haves - The volume control should work as a page up/down when not in the phone mode.

Memory - More memory.

Pauses - We should be able to put pauses in the contact number and not have to use favorites to accomplish this task.

Ringers - We should be able to add ringers to the contact number without having to use favorites.

RealAudio - There is a company that makes a product that is embedded in rom that can directly accept mp3 feeds. This may not directly be a palm issue but I am blown away that we can't grab mp3's directly from the Net. If it can work in rom it can work in ram. That is like saying the browser is great but you have to hotsync the page from the desktop. Give me a break. This is unacceptable. We should all scream about this issue.

Versamail bites when compared to Snapper. I took Snapper off because why use up memory. That was a mistake. I not only added Snapper back in I upgraded to the latest rev.

Another that may not be a Palm issue unless the way the OS operates forces the applications to be built without the option to determine where the data folders are created. We should have the option to put the data on the card.

To be fair - the things I like
    Great screen size and detail.
    I love the keyboard and the application and menu keys.
    5 way switch is nice but since it does act as a page down/up key I wish it really did it.
    Battery life is better than I expected.
    Nice integration of Palm to phone. I don't see this as a phone first and a Palm second.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    I Know that PalmOne should have included them for the price, but a lot of these things can be solved with added software like filez, power run, pocket tunes,and Butler.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Thanks for responding. I realize many of my complaints can be solved by adding third party tools. However, if we still had to buy a memory management program or a GUI front end to a windows desktop the way we did in the early days I think many people would be spinning there heads. I really don't want to open up a Microsoft can of worms so I'll respond in this fashion. The fact that we cannot create directory trees or run any program from a card because it is seen as just another storage device and we can only have so many categories in memo's to name a few is a clear indication the Palm OS is still immature. To me it is an indication that for all these years Palmsource just sat on their hands. Palm1 now Palm did a beautiful job creating the Treo but Palmsource needs to wake up and smell the roses.

The items you mentioned included Pocket tunes which I am assuming you mean can read mp3 files directly from the Net. I was on the site but it was unclear to me what the deal was with the full featured product. Are you saying that I can go on the NPR site and using Pocket Tunes grab an archived program and listen to it directly from the Net without first syncing the file from a PC? That would be great.

I agree with you that it would be nice if more of these core features were on the Treo to begin with, but fortunately most of these problems can be solved with freeware programs.

I haven't fussed much with Pocket Tunes, so I don't know whether it can stream mp3s, or allow you to download them directly to RAM. However, this program might help if Pocket Tunes is letting you down:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=99069
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

Converging again, and again . . .
    While we are at it . . .

Bluetooth should be able to deliver sound to palm apps (voice dialing) as well as phone apps. (from what I've read, this is a problem with the way the bluetooth chip is wired into the Treo).

The current design of the (wired) audio port shares a pair of wires for the microphone AND one channel of sound. This design severely limits the headsphones (and adapters) that we can use with the phone. It goes a long way toward ruining the benefit of having an MP3 player in the unit.

Bluetooth should be upgraded to v1.2 to include support for stereo headphones, etc.

Fix the memory leaks in the OS!! I'm still having to reset my Verizon 650 at least once a day. I think this might be the only item that can be fixed through a software patch. (After I wrote this, I found that Verizon customers can upgrade to version 1.03 from the palm one website. )

Lastly - am I the only one who thinks that voice dialing and backup software should be built into the OS? I've never heard of an OS that didn't include backup software! (some people might think that sync serves this purpose, but I disagree. Sync simply syncoronized the palm to the PC. True - it can be used to provide a certain rudimentary restore capability, but it is not really backup software.)
    Last edited by jhaupt; 07-21-2005 at 09:47 AM.
    Jim
    (7135 to Treo 650 conversion)

Jim, interesting comment on the state of bluetooth. It sounds like the foot dragging on Sprints part in regards to Wifi and their long delay with implementing true SMS. Sprint used the excuse that the users didn't want SMS. Their proof was showing how no one was rushing to use it. Well we didn't really have it to use until recently. The bluetooth lawsuit against Verizon will be interesting to watch. In the old days At&t said we could not add our own equipment to the network because it might damage it. The wireless carriers are saying the same thing today about the phones forcing the manufactures to disable features and build to their specs. All in the name of the network when it is more related to controlling revenue sources. I forgot about the memory leaks. That is a good one and important. I bet the memory leaks and the lack of backups has to do with the fact that the OS only cares about certain file types. Thqt is just a guess.