+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Treo 650 Updater for Verizon Wireless

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.palm.com/us/support/down...er/verizon.html

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/treo650updater/verizon.html

The charger is REQUIRED to be plugged in when doing this. Do not attempt it without the charger, it will fail.
    Sandy Wagner

Is this updater really needed?

It includes an update to the wireless sync software. Supposedly it updates the roaming features. (I thought simply dialing *228 did that, although you need to do that as part of the update). Reports are saying it no longer asks if you want to add unrecognized numbers to your address book.

That seem like it.
    Sandy Wagner

I set up a backup user account on my pc and did an hot sync, handheld overwrites desktop, after doing the hot sync, I'm not seing any info that transferred from the handheld to the new user account on my desktop back up user account, what am I'm missing here?

It is still syncing to your old account. Once you sync a palm, you cannot change the account name.

You have to do a hard reset and then sync. When it asks you if you want to use an existing account or a new one, that's when you create a new account.

Then install the update to the new account. Hotsync (it will take a while, the install file is huge). Run the updater on the device. When it finishes, do a another HARD reset.

Sync again, this time using your old account when it asks. All Done!
    Sandy Wagner

awesome, thanks

update 1.03 fried my otherwise perfect t650. I will have my FRU on Friday hopefully!!! So Sad!!!

Huge bummer to hear, I've been lucky so far, no probs, but will keep my eyes open.

Has the update crashed any others out there?

Oh dear... this is bringing back horrible memories of the OS update to the i700 and i600. They were never the same after that. That's when I came across to the treo. Think I'll sit this one out for a while.

has anyone seen additional memory available frrom this release. I did it Tuesday and my memory usage is about the same. I did lose my add new contact capability. Was that one of the scheduled features for this update?

Update went smoothly but do follow the instructions because it is easy to get out of sync on all this happening at once.

will shadowmite's DUN hack work with 1.03?

will shadowmite's DUN hack work with 1.03?

New Contact Capability

I seem to remember SOMEWHERE on the phone is a box to check to enable that "add contacts" capability when you call, or are called, by an unknown number.

I can't find it on my phone at the moment, but I really like this feature.

Does anyone know where to find the preference setting? More importantly, has anyone who updated the phone been able to restore this feature?

Converged
    If it's any help (or reassurance), I installed the update on my phone on Thursday afternoon and haven't had any problems...

no problems here either

I too had a hassle-free install.
    And DUN still works via shadowmite's hacked BT manager.
    I can't say that I've seen any dramatic improvements, but still, it didn't break anything!

Improvement to file system - Worth It!!

I had a hassle-free update as well.

Anyone "sitting on the fence" not sure whether to update or not...should consider that the update changes the file system block size from 512 bytes to 32 bytes! This update freed up a lot of memory for me.

I was under the impression that the Verizon Treos already had the optimized file system. Can anyone else weigh in on this?

(I'm not planning to update unless there's a really compelling reason to do it. Optimizing the file system might be worth it.)
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

Originally posted by Breadheater
    I was under the impression that the Verizon Treos already had the optimized file system...
    I had ver 1.01 (Verizon) prior to the update, I just assumed it had the 512 block size. I do know that I gained somewhere between 2.5 - 3 MB after updating to 1.03.

Nightmare!

Ok - this process was a nightmare!

I got the update installed, but then when I went to sync using my own profile, my Treo went into an endless loop of soft resets. I tried lots of different things including a couple of hard resets, reloading the 'temp' profile and deleting stuff from my profile that I thought might be conflicting. Nothing worked.

I finally created yet ANOTHER profile. Fortunately I was able to get all my Outlook stuff to sync with the new profile. I ended up with a virgin Treo. This was not a bad thing because I had a lot of leftover 7135 garbage associated with my original profile. Something in there was obviously conflicting. I think I have everything I want restored.

Fortunately - I am not a heavy user of 3rd party software.

The BONUS is that now I am able to connect to the net using a DIAL UP!

So, all's well that ends well. Hmph.

I'm still working on using Profile Care in hopes that it will turn the phone on and off at preset times. (I miss that 7135 feature.) I almost had it figured out when everything blew.

If anyone knows of another app that will do that, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

McKay