+ Reply to Thread

Dialup & QNC MoU for Verizon

So I just got off the phone with tech support and think I have a solution for people who are in my delima(7135->650 and keeping MoU).

I have been hearing constantly over the last ~12 calls into support to try and get 1X MoU that they are no longer providing it because it is a free service. Today I was even told they are scanning for old accounts that have this and moving them to a data plan. So it looks like if you've got MoU, try to hold on to it, otherwise good luck getting it.

QNC is billed as 1X, the data rep said that the device is built for 1X and will switch over automatically even if you dial QNC. QNC it's self is still MoU if we could get it work.

Dialup connections are not billed for data useage. I've decided to go this route rather than pay obscene fees for simple data usage. There are a few good providers that are ~$5/mo and work with the Treo(I've tried AllVantage so far with good success). Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along in hopes of saving someone the headache of calling support non-stop like I've had to do for the last week.

I'll think of something later
    Did you get this info from Data Support or the a regular CSR? I too had this response from all CSR's I talked to. Then I contacted Data services and explained what I wanted. He got a CSR on the line and explained that I wanted MOU. She had to confirm with me what the risks were but had no problem switching me back.

I use data very lightly (12 min the last month w/ 7135) and used it a little with no more data usage showing up on my account, only more minutes used.

I will wait until the bill shows up of course.

Yeah, this was from WDTS.

Dial up seems to be the way to go with the 650. It appears to be coming out of my minutes (my first billing period ends in two days) and is equivalent in speed to what I was getting on qnc with my 7135.

I was able to use qnc at my home in the Extended Network area with my 7135 but it doesn't work here with the 650. I've read elsewhere that no matter if you dial into qnc or 1x it connects at the faster speed. That makes sense since I can no longer connect to qnc outside a Verizon Network area.

please please let us know if dialup works like MOU. i have sonic.net as my dsl provider and that means free unlimited access to dial ups, which would be fine. i'd love to get a faster network, but i'm a big boy, i'll live and nurse a grudge. i'll also figure out some way to get even with the vzw crack addict crew. i would love to have a decent network until then.

Dialup on the 650

I have been using dialup on my 650 with Earthlink and it has been working great.
    It is much slower, but I can live with it if it saves me $$$.

I am fairly sure it uses MOU because when I do a #DATA it is not accumlating kilobytes anymore like it did when I used the QNC. The data arrows still show up above the reception bars, but they are grey, which according to the documentation means the data movement is idle.

Slightly off but... I just added 10 meg/month dat ato family share plan. I think it unfair for VZW to charge you minutes PLUS data use on a adata call. Seems it ought to bill to your 10 meg or to minutes but not BOTH! Again... feels like double billing.