+ Reply to Thread

Plantronics Stereo headphone w/650?

I was travelling this weekend and purchased a Verizon Wireless Plantronics Stereo headset with a switch to use it with the phone or for music. The Verizon salesperson guaranteed it would work with the 650...

I was using it to watch films on TCPMP and thought I would be able to hear it in stereo, however, the switch for music produced NO SOUND and the switch for phone produced only sound out of one ear.

Is this device just not compatible with the 650? Does the 650 play properly in stereo with the PalmOne adapter?

I saved all of the packing materials/receipt and plan on returning it very soon as there are waaaay too many wires sticking off of it. It has a 2.5mm AND a 3.5mm plug! You choose between which wire you want to plug in and leave the other one HANGING dangling at the side. It also has too much extra wire. If extended it would go from my ears to the center of my calf.

Very stupid design.

Any thoughts on how to get stereo sound coming from the 650 are appreciated. I think I just need the palm adapter...

Converging again, and again . . .
    From what I've read on this forum . . .

The 650 uses bluetooth 1.1

Bluetooth 1.1 only supports mono sound.
    Bluetooth 1.2 supports stereo sound.

Then there are other issues with the 650 - it seems that the bluetooth audio doesn't properly go to palm applications (such as voice dialer, etc).

Also, the wired headset jack also has problems. The headset that Verizon sold me for the 650 only delivered sound to one ear. The Verizon CSR (2nd level) went to Palm one's website and learned that the 600 and the 650 used different designs in the stereo jack and can't use the same headsets.

So, as far as I can tell. Even though the 650 has an MP3 player on it, it is not really capable of playing stereo sound. I guess it is just a few design flaws.

There are a few third party headsets (pcmobile makes one). These 3rd party headsets have a switch on the cord, and you can to put the switch in phone mode, or music mode. If you are listening to music when a call comes in, then you need to hit the switch to change modes, and THEN you need to answer the phone.
    Jim
    (7135 to Treo 650 conversion)

Did the second level CSR individual indicate that the PalmOne adapter would allow stereo sound?

Or are you saying that no wired headsets with or without adapter will provide sound out of both ears?

There are stereo headsets available for the Treo 650 made by Seidio and Palm. They are all wired headsets, and I don't believe a wireless one exists that would work.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

They all seem similar to the Plantronics set of headphones that I bought. Do they really produce a stereo sound?

Yes, they all produce stereo sound and it's probably because the plug and logic associated to switching from phone to music mode is correct compared to the Plantronics headset. Which Plantronics headset do you have?
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)