+ Reply to Thread

treo 650, intellisync, groupwise

i just got the treo 650 (upgrade from kyocera 7135). our dept uses groupwise email (instead of outlook). i've tried for days to sync with intellisync and groupwise without success. i just found out that i need to use intellisync, v. 5.3.2. (i was using an old version; 5.1.) is there anyway to sync treo 650 and groupwise email without buying a new version of intellisync ($69)? are there any other programs (than intellisync) that can sync palm os/treo650 and groupwise? thanks, peter
    peter

I similarly have upgraded from a 7135 and am syncing with Groupwise at my office and Outlook at home. I did upgrade Intellisync (seemed necessary) and syncing was far better than with my 7135--able to sync the phone books without duplication and now have consistency among my various phone books. The Intellisync upgrade was well worth the cost given the improved functionality and my frustration with the previous version.

I use the software that Novell came out with to sync with GroupWise - GroupWise PDA Connet. Works great, used it with my 7135, and now I use it with my 650. Also works with Pocket PC. You need the GroupWise client 6.5.3 or higher. Oh yeah, it's free!

I note that the instructions for Groupwise PDA connect warn against syncing with Outlook. I sync with Outlook at home, Groupwise in the office. Is this a problem? Or can you sync with Outlook on a different PC, just not on the same one with Groupwise?

You might want to check out Omni Mobile at http://www.omni-ts.com/mobility.html It provides a full GroupWise client for the Palm Treo 650.

Regards,

Aldo Zanoni
    Director of Customer Service
    Omni Technology Solutions Inc.
    www.omni-ts.com

Looks like a reasonable option, but as a single user the price tag of $195 is significantly higher than the Groupwise PDA Connect option or what I'm using now--Intellisync.

True, it certainly is a lot more expensive than PDA Connect. And I guess there are a couple of other differences, too. Omni Mobile requires a server-side component that gets installed on your GroupWise WebAccess server - not always an option. What's nice about Omni Mobile, on the other hand, is that it is a full GroupWise client for the Treo 650 rather than just email and contact synchronisation.

Aldo

I guess I'm not sure why you would want to synchronize with Outlook at home, and GroupWise at work. You can easily install the GroupWise client at home, there is no extra cost to do so.

I only sync my address book and my calendar. That way I have all of my addresses (e-mail and otherwise) as part of whichever mail client I'm using--home or work. And I sync my Groupwise calendar with the Franklin Covey planner (which I use for my prioritized task list), so all is in one place for printing. Yes, somewhat complex, but it really works for me!

kbrin,

I would recommend you try the GroupWise client at home. You can have it check non GroupWise accounts as well. It allows me to have everything in one client, and would make synchronizing much simpler for you. You can grab the client from Novell's support site. Also, if your company wants to try Aldo's suggestion, I can recommend Omni-TS. They are good folks to work with. We are customer's here at my company. See you at Brainshare, Aldo!