+ Reply to Thread

Treo 650 vs Samsung i730 what I learned

I have been a Palm user since the original grey plastic case, and have treid a PocketPC only once before. But last week I couldn't resist the potential of the Samsung i730. I went to VZ and aquired the phone with its EVDO, WiFi, Bluetooth, ability to run SKYPE, XM Radio, Outlook OMA, etc. I LOVED THESE FEATURES, it was liek having a pc in your hand with high speed internet all the time (I am in LA and EVDO is pretty much every where). But that was also the problem it wa slike having a PC in your hand and not a phone. The i730 is a pretty amazing PDA but a pretty horrible phone. I missed the easy one hand use of the Palm OS that I know so well, opnce i even went to make a phone call and got the Windows 'hour glass' (actually a color wheel while it thought about letting me make the call. But i gotta reiterate, EVDO, wifi, and OS that can run windows apps, that was amazing, when will Palm add these features, Treo 700 anyone?

Interesting. I got a 650 about a month before the i730 came out. I used it for 2 weeks and returned it. I need it first for phone capability. I was reading the forum on i730 every day (wife couldn't figure out what I was doing

Bottom line: I don't care if I run Palm or Windows. I need the phone to operate as well as a simple phone. It would be great to have high speed and wifi. But once people started getting the i730 I determined it really wasn't ready for prime time. And the fact that it didn't have a camera (or at least camera option, as I do understand that you can't always get a camera phone into certain establishments) let me back to purchasing the Treo 650.

If the Treo had wifi, EVDO and megapixel camera, it would be exactly what I need. I assume within the next 2 years we will see such a device!

samsung i730 = closer but no cigar

no camera, still need a stylus to get around, keyboard not quite as finger friendly

not the right balance of pda and phone funtions

sticking with the t650 for another year or so...