+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Treo 650 Max SD = 2GB ??????

I went into Circuit City a while ago and when the Sales Person helping us with a purchase saw my Treo 650, he asked about the size of my SD Card and I told him it was 1GB.

He quickly pointed out to me that I would not be able to go over 2GB because that is the limit on the Treo, first I was just wondering if this is true, second, I wanted to know how someone would find out this kind of information.

I decided to post this message because I just saw this announcement about the release of a 4GB SD card and would like to start planning for an upgrade:

http://www.photographyblog.com/index...ard_announced/

What in the world would you do with 4 gig on your phone?

MP3s?

Greg

Originally posted by Gmcmurry
    What in the world would you do with 4 gig on your phone?

MP3s?

Greg
    I actually use the phone as my primary on the go mp3 player; I use Pocket Tunes Deluxe and would love to be able to put more music on the card.

I am shocked that you seem so surprised, it is not unusual for someone with an ipod to have 20GB, I use the Treo 650 instead of an ipod because it has so much more functionality in one unit.

By the way, I also take lots of pictures and like to take them on the go; here is my web site with some of my photos:

http://imz14u2nv.is-a-geek.com/

DMZ
    Dere's a Little of Me In all A Yiz DMZ's Avatar
    A 4GB SD card is a great idea, but the initial price on them when they finally go into production soon will likely be prohibitive for most. It'll take at least another year or so for their cost to come down within reason. For now, a 2GB card should really suffice, even for MP3's and pics.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    I spent a little time looking around online. I did not find any reference anywhere on the maximum size SD card for the Treo 650. Most pc's and laptops have a max listed for Ram but I have not seen that info anywhere for the Treo650.

The search continues.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Brian
    Originally posted by imz14u2nv
    I actually use the phone as my primary on the go mp3 player; I use Pocket Tunes Deluxe and would love to be able to put more music on the card.

I am shocked that you seem so surprised, it is not unusual for someone with an ipod to have 20GB, I use the Treo 650 instead of an ipod because it has so much more functionality in one unit.

By the way, I also take lots of pictures and like to take them on the go; here is my web site with some of my photos:

http://imz14u2nv.is-a-geek.com/
    imz14u2nv,
    Great pics! Did you photoshop them or anything? All the colors are bright and vivid. Mine do not come out even close to the quality of those. Nice bike btw. I ride a bmw 650 fgs, and will use the single ear piece w/ mic to listen to mp3's while riding. 4 gigs would be awesome.
    -B

Originally posted by BriOnH
    imz14u2nv,
    Great pics! Did you photoshop them or anything? All the colors are bright and vivid. Mine do not come out even close to the quality of those. Nice bike btw. I ride a bmw 650 fgs, and will use the single ear piece w/ mic to listen to mp3's while riding. 4 gigs would be awesome.
    -B
    I alternate between Photoshop CS2 and PhotoSuite 7, thanks for the compliment, and yes, 4GB would be just what the doctor ordered 

I wouldn't be suprised if it was limited to 2gb. This was a big deal with digital cameras a few years back... a filesystem limited to supporting fat16 cannot address higher than 2gb. So, unless the Treo supports fat32, 2gb is it.

Bear

kyocera posted that the 7135's max was 1g, but the unit would only be able to use 512m. The 2g worked great in the 7135.

I'm really hoping the 4g will work. I'll probably try it as soon as I can get one.

I'll let you know if I'm out the $500 or so.....
    www.robertlett.com. An Individual Armed with Information
    Controls the Course of Negotiation
    Have all your files with you, ANYTIME - ANYWHERE!

Hello,

This is Kevin from Palm. Palm has tested 2GB expansion cards with the Treo 650 and can say with confidence that they will work in the device. Bear correctly states that the Treo 650's filesystem supports fat16 and will not address higher than 2GB.

Sincerely
    Kevin

Originally posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hello,

This is Kevin from Palm. Palm has tested 2GB expansion cards with the Treo 650 and can say with confidence that they will work in the device. Bear correctly states that the Treo 650's filesystem supports fat16 and will not address higher than 2GB.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Wow,
    I really didn’t want to hear that, now how’s that for built in obsolescence ??

When I bought my first PC back in 1987, it came with a hard drive of 20 MB. I bought a 256 MB SD for my Kyocera 7135 (before I had to replace it). That's over an order of magnitude more memory in the size of a postage stamp!

I think it's safe to say that the more "user friendly" programs become, the more RAM you'll need in cell/PDA's, and the more you want to make your cell/PDA "indispensable," with photos, VIDEOS, MP3s, etc., the more memory storage you'll require.

Probably not "built in obsolescence," but how long will it take Palm to come up with a Treo "700" with, say 40 MB of RAM, and able to take an 8 GB card? Or will it be too late by that time and people will already be demanding 16 GB?

Just a thought. Also my first post!

I just started making MP3s to listen to in my Treo 650 a couple of weeks ago! Amazing how fast you can fill up a 256 MB card!!

Bob

Originally posted by rlherbonjr

I just started making MP3s to listen to in my Treo 650 a couple of weeks ago! Amazing how fast you can fill up a 256 MB card!!

Bob
    That is my point exactly, I find that mp3's take up at least 4mb per song (when encoded at 128kbs), so the more storage the better.

I just think that since the limits of fat16 have been known for so long, that palm would be smart enough to make their top on the line device a little more competitive.

With the right features, we will all still buy future Treo's if that is what they are worried about.

Ok, not to defend Palm, I do agree that the limit has been known from some time, but 4gb cards in the SD format are very new (July 27th this year for the VERY first one). Put that with a development cycle and that they may have designed based on their expectation of the format. Remember this is an OS level issue not hardware, Palm 5 has been around since? I expect when the code was in it's final state 1GB cards were not even available (not even sure they were available when Palm 5 was released). I would expect the next model/upgrade to support fat32 and until cards reach the 2TB limit we should be set.

Bear

Bear -

Your right.

And that hurts users even more. Because it will be all that much longer before 4+GB SD cards will be supported -

Figure PalmSource is off working on a Linux version, and it won't see the light of day for a year to a year and a half. Add the developement time for the next Treo, and then add the wait for a wireless company to finally approve it.
    That, my friends, is a very long wait.

Unless the Treo design group is interested in providing an IFS update for 4+GB cards? Or are they going to be slaving away on their next big money maker?

Sigh.

Help! Just a little! fat16 - I assume the 16 refers to MB internal memory? So fat 32 = 32 MB? (is there an acronym list on pdaphonehome?)

I'm still amazed at the pricing of the current lines of SDs. I think I paid about $100 for my 256 MB card a couple of years ago; now, I can get a 2 GB card for $150!

I recently bought PowerRUN to free up some "RAM" - is there logic in this, that if launch time is unimportant, it will help other programs run in the PDA itself?

I'm also looking at carrying 3 cards with me, keeping the 256 MB for text/docs, and some programs, like my 8 MB MyBible program maybe a 1 GB for photos, and the 2 GB for music.

Bob

FAT16 and FAT32 are memory architecture standards. The numbers don't refer to megabytes (are they bits? I'm not certain). Honestly, I don't know very much about them, but FAT32 was introduced on the windows platform with Windows 95SR2, I think. It reduced the minimum block size of a file stored (on a large drive) from something like 32k to like 4k or maybe smaller, I can't remember. What this means is, if you stored a 1k file on a big drive formatted with FAT16, it would actually occupy 32k of disk space, despite the fact that 31k of that would be empty of actual data. If you were storing really large files, it didn't much matter FAT16 or 32, but if you had bunches of tiny files, each would waste lots of space.

I think it may have also expanded the size of the largest allowable drive partition (space on a single disk drive). Someone made reference to this above. At any rate, FAT32 is better.

Having more RAM available on your Treo is always a good idea. Since programs are both stored and run in the same RAM space, the distinction between memory for saving something and memory for running something gets kind of blurry. But running an app takes RAM, and people have reported the Treo getting unstable when especially short on available RAM. If the app doesn't need to reside in RAM to do it's job, move it to the card.
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

That's pretty much it, Breadheater covered it fairly well. It's a file spec, and yes the 32/16 refer to bits available for addressing the clusters which makeup the available storage locations and are recorded in the table (File Allocation Table). One correction to my update, although FAT32 can support 2TB, the largest single device Windows supports using this spec is approx 123GB.

As for the price of 4GB SD cards, the only one available (sometime this month) is priced at just under $700. I expect 6 months to a year before this will be less than the price of the phone. For that price I can have several 1GB cards, (over 7) so I don't see it as a big deal to carry a few extra cards. As for an MP3 player, I can get a 20GB iPOD for less and carry all my music (350 CD's worth).

I understanding wanting everything in one single device, but I just don't see the Tero or any other single portable device fitting that requirement just yet. I personally would be happy if the included camera was really any good, but as someone with over $10,000 in digital imaging equipment I don't expect that will ever be the case.

Bear

so do we have a real answer, or just speculation so far. I'm really interested as well.

Originally posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hello,

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Seems pretty clear to me that 2G is the limit.
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73