+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car mounts

Car mounts

I've been eyeing the Proclip mounts, but was never comfortable with the look of it coming out of the vent, or stuck to the windshield.

I saw this on ExremePDA today--has anyone used this?

http://www.extremepda.com/Merchant2/...e=TREO650MOUNT

I'm particularly intrigued by the car lighter mount option, but wondering how well it works.

Thanks!
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

I have been looking at this one.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...=CK8AG25MTR650

Actually, I don't really care if the car kit is bluetooth. What I really want is:

1. Great Speakerphone
    2. Someplace to put the phone when I get in my car where it won't slide all over the place.
    3. A built in charger.
    4. An external antenna

So far, I am not sure there is such a device.

Greg
    Last edited by Gmcmurry; 07-30-2005 at 11:01 AM.

SpikeyMikey,

I had a phone holder very similar to the one you linked to. I received it when I bought a GPS unit for my older Treo 600 phone (I now have the 650). I must say that I was never impressed with it. It's a generic holder, which is to say that it can be used with almost any phone. You just "pinch" the sides until they hold the phone snug. That's all there is to it.

Don't get me wrong; it will work, but it's nothing special. The one that I had came with the vent mount and I REALLY disliked that. It would always hang down on the vent and I was always afraid that I was going to damage the vent itself. I eventually threw the holder out.

With respect to the cigarette lighter holder, keep in mind one potential negative. It just uses the cigareet ligher as a basic hole. There's no charging going on, so you lose the use of the cigarette lighter if you want to charge your phone while it's in your car. Big negative in my book, but your needs might be different.

I eventually went out and purchased the ProClip holder that you mentioned. It attaches to a clip that sits OVER the air-conditioning vent. In truth, it's way overpriced. But I must say that it is 100% solid. I use it every day mounted on my 2000 Ford Explorer. There are many cheaper auto mounts (heck, are there any that are more expensive than the ProClip?!?!) but none better.

Good luck.

Proclip all the way

Spikeymikey,

I used a proclip solution with my Kyo 7135 and my 03 G35 Sedan. I had a choice of several different vehicle mount locations. I chose one that did not cover the vent. It was easy to install and looked like it came from the factory with my G. It was an angled mount on the right side of my center stack. It was positioned perfectly. It was a two piece solution, vehicle mount specific to the 03 G35 Sedan and device holder for the Kyo 7135. When I upgraded to the Treo 650, I just purchased a new device holder and kept the same mount.

Unfortunately (or not since I have a new car) I just replaced my 03 G35 Sedan with an 05 G35x Sedan and the center stack is a little different, so I had to order a new vehicle mount. I thought I was going to be able to salvage the mount. I gave the Kyo device holder to the guy I sold the phone to. Waiting for the new mount to arrive. But for the money, I would not change it.

Now with a bluetooth phone (Treo) and a bluetooth speaker (Supertooth II), no more wires and it all looks very professional. Go with a Proclip, but see if there is one for your car that does not cover the vent. It is well worth it.

gperr

Thanks guys. While the ProClip solution seems to win widespread praise, they didn't offer a powered cig lighter mounted solution, and the non-vent-mounted option for my car positioned it far away on the passenger side.

So I found a POWERED cig lighter mount for $40 by a company called Gomadic. I also hedged my bets, and ordered the "multi-adapter" solution (provides add'l mounts for vent, windshield, and dash, so I can play around with which one I like best) for an add'l $20. (Link: http://www.gomadic.com/verizon-treo-...gps-ready.html)

I'll let y'all know how it works out.
    Last edited by SpikeyMikey; 08-01-2005 at 10:09 PM.

a good mount is the CM625 - Universal PDA 15" Flexible Gooseneck Mount that attaches to your seat bolts instead of the window or screwing into the floor. I attached my to the underside of the seat so when i move my seat the mount moves with it. Hear is apic of it with my old Kyo 7135
    Last edited by t3kn0byt3; 08-07-2005 at 10:39 PM.

t3kn0byt3,

I hadn't seen that option, even though I'd browsed the Arkon.com site a couple days ago. Very intriguing. For this particular product, however, the 15" gooseneck seems like it would be just enough to have the phone clear the passenger seat. If that's the case, how easy is it to give the PDA a quick glance when driving, and/or tap a button in a pinch?

I got the Gomadic order yesterday (the 2-3 day USPS Priority Mail came overnight!), and tried each of the four different mounts. Here's a rundown of my experience:

1) The powered cig lighter option, which was the one I was really hoping would work best, worked as advertised--it held the phone securely, charged the battery, and adjusted up/down and left/right. But the position of my lighter was such that there was no way to avoid interference with my 2001 Maxima’s gear box; my lighter is also positioned so low that it was not easy to use the phone without taking my eyes off the road. Oh well. Seems to me the only way to make this option compelling would be to have a powered gooseneck that's at least 18" long.

2) The vent connectors were small but strong, and adjusted to fit my vents, but since my vents are horizontal, the weight of the entire apparatus with phone made everything droop, and going over large bumps in the road made the unit bounce (yikes!). Not good--I can definitely see the value of a ProClip for a vent-mounted solution.

3) The dash-mounted option happened to fit perfectly on a small flat area above my stereo control panel, and seemed perfectly positioned for viewing and easy access, but the adhesive simply didn’t stick. I was almost tempted to crazy-glue it, but sanity prevailed.

4) The windshield suction option—the one I expected to like the least—turned out to be the winner for me. I was pleasantly surprised how unobtrusive it was—I was able to mount it low on the windshield, and adjust the sturdy gooseneck so that the phone was positioned exactly where the dash-mounted option would have put it. The suction cup has held for a full day now, cooling overnight and handling the 95-degree heat all day, without losing any suction at all.

On all mounts, the holder is the same—here’s the bad and the good on it:

A) It’s a cheap-feeling plastic component that adjusts to hold almost any PDA or phone that’s at least as wide as the 650, using adjustable side grips to pinch the phone, as SteveNYC describes above. With this approach, the phone is secure, but cannot be easily slid up and out; instead, there’s a release button on the lower left rear that springs the pincher-grips out.

B) The feet do not adjust, and don’t extend far enough to fully support the bottom of the Treo. However, the feet are enough to support the device securely with the help of the pinchers, and they do leave room for the power and headphone connections.

C) The power connections built into the holder, and associated cables, do the job—the phone charges normally, and the part that connects to the Treo is designed to fit much more firmly than the standard 650 charger. However, there are two cables where one would have sufficed—a device-independent one to connect from the lighter to the rear under-side of the holder, and a device-specific one to connect the holder to the Treo. The only advantage of having two is that you avoid having a cord dangling from the Treo all the way to your cig lighter (the rear connection of the cig-lighter cord is more likely to hug the dash & stereo control panel on its way down).

D) Because the cable that connects to the 650 is such a firm connection, you have to gently but firmly plug it in and unplug it every time you want to insert the phone into the holder or remove it (i.e., you can’t just pop the phone in and out—it takes a quick but deliberate maneuver that can be executed one-handed, but better with two hands.)

Bottom line is that I like it enough to keep it, and believe it’s a good value at $40 (it’s $40 if you buy just a single mount; I paid $60 to try all four). However, if a powered, long-goose-neck, cig-lighter solution appeared that had a holder truly designed for the 650, and which allowed a slide-in / slide-out powered connection kind of like a cradle, I’d gladly part with $60 for that. I think a lot of us would welcome the full control over phone positioning, charging w/out add’l wires, ease of insertion & removal, and the portability to use with different cars that this type of solution would provide.

Originally posted by SpikeyMikey
    t3kn0byt3,

I hadn't seen that option, even though I'd browsed the Arkon.com site a couple days ago. Very intriguing. For this particular product, however, the 15" gooseneck seems like it would be just enough to have the phone clear the passenger seat. If that's the case, how easy is it to give the PDA a quick glance when driving, and/or tap a button in a pinch?
    Here is a pic of my kyo in the holder. I'll try to get you better pics this week. I have raised it up a bit since the pic. I was using about half of the height of the arm with the kyo 7135 because of the flip hitting my dash when my wife would drive. It is fairly convenient for tapping keys and quick glances. Having come from under the seat also makes it easier to get an extension for your charging cable and run it through under the seat. No visible cables in my car w/XM, Cell Phone, BT Headset charger, and radar detector. I hate wires all over the place. Any other ?'s let me know.

t3kn0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car mounts-xm1_775.jpg  

Proclip mounted in the Honda Ridgeline

Last edited by dsnove2; 11-27-2005 at 05:55 PM.