+ Reply to Thread
    db

any docs or on-call people using treo for pager?

kyo 7135 gradually giving up the ghost. tried out a treo 650. my problem: i use the phone for my pager. i've come to depend on the reminder alerts since i park the phone when i'm at home. if i'm in a different room or the shower or whatever, the reminder beeps occurring every 2 minutes assure that i notice the message fairly reliably, even if i miss the first alert.

i don't see a way to get the treo to give reminder alerts for missed pages, phone calls or voicemail. is there a 3rd party app that would work for this (my pages come thru in the SMS app)? has anyone else thought of a work-around for this? i hate the thought of having to always be checking the phone for missed pages. my goal is to reply to pages within 15 minutes --that's a lot of phone checking to be doing 24/7.

suggestions?

-db

Try...

There is a little ap called Butler. It's only $10 I think. I use it and it's great.
    "No matter where you go, There you are"

I use my Treo as a pager (I just picked up Butler for the very same reason). I'll know more in a few weeks as to how well it works.

I am on call as an X-Ray Engineer for all the Hospitals in Southern New Jersey, Philadelphia and Delaware. I used to carry around my pager as well as my Kyo 7135. I had the Kyo setup to receive the pages as well as the pager. The constant alerts were great.
    The clamshell beast finally died so I I was issued the 650 my my company. It is a great phone except for the lack of reminders of missed messages. "Butler" turned out to be a great program. Not only does it remind you constantly if you missed a call or text, but it is configurable for many other things too. I highly recommend it.

t3knobyt3

db

any thoughts on treo alert manager?

thanks so much for the butler suggestion. anyone who's used it longer have any pro/con input?

i've also seen an app referred to called treo alert manager. anyone with thoughts on that app or comparison to butler? reliability is key.

change is hard sometimes and i'm having trouble giving up on my 7135 (the "divorce" hasn't been my idea). i guess the alert issue on the treo is going to end up being manageable after all. so it's looking more hopeful for a meaningful relationship between me and my treo.

-db

I've used Butler since May, although not using the phone as a pager, and have had no Palm or Phone issues with the software. It's well worth the money for all its functionality
    Release the Hounds!

I am visiting from the 7135 board and I am wondering how you all have set up your phone as a pager. I have cell one and for the life of me I can't find a way to do it. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mikki

I use my treo 650 as a pager. IMy answering service text messages me with the patient name and problem and their #. I can tap directly on the number to dial the call. Its worked great so far. Plus I store all the local pharmacies in my contacts under a separate pharmacy category.
    If you don't laugh, nothing's funny!

db

pager (kind of)

Originally posted by docmikki
    I am visiting from the 7135 board and I am wondering how you all have set up your phone as a pager. I have cell one and for the life of me I can't find a way to do it. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mikki
    i have my answering service "page" me by sending an sms to my phone. once their tech got it set up right it works well, with a two-tap dial of the number they input. since it still uses cell phone frequencies and not the pager frequencies, it could be a problem in some area of the hospital and other settings.

-db

db

butler and radio control

using the treo 650 now for 3 wks have found butler does a perfect job of taking care of nagging me for missed alerts. i've heard treoalert is similar, but butler has a couple of other nice features.

another essential: radio control. this small app makes sure the phone gets turned on after a soft reset. although this might be a rare occurrence, it was a bummer to have the answering service call on my home phone in the middle of the night because i wasn't returning my page.

i haven't found a good solution for the call notes yet. since the sms contains the pt name, dob, phone number and problem, it would be nice to be able to use that for the note template somehow. handbase is too hard to format into a useable form and all the info needs to be re-entered. docs to go is an option on the treo, maybe an excel file. any good suggestions out there?

-db

drr
    Could you first set up a simple Word template using Documents to go. Then when you get a text page, simply copy it and then paste it on to your Word template where it you decide it goes. Type in your extra text or notes, then save as "Jones, Paul" etc. Then later it could be printed out and saved in the patient file etc.

The real problem is that the pager frequencies will go throughout the hospitals, basements, and OR's. Cell numbers won't. I would give anything to converge my pager and phone, but it has to work everywhere...

drr
    I don't know all the technical stuff but at our hospital, staff was having trouble receiving cell and pager signals, mostly around the ER. Verizon, who happened to have the contract for the pagers many were using, became motivated to put a signal repeater of some kind on the property just for that purpose. Perhaps you could address this issue with the company and they may do the same.