+ Reply to Thread

Wireless internet.

My question is very basic. I have read through the threads but haven't been able to find this exact question. Is there a way to use the unlimited internet through verizon while my pc is connected. Basically I want to be able to share the web through my treo 650 usng my laptop, using the access that I pay through verizon and not bring my own. I also have a audiovox 6600 also if the treo wont do it will that?

Thanks
    Mike

Yes you can

Yes you can. I use a program called PDANET which allows you to do that. Others may have found a way to do this without paying the $34 for PDANET. But if you are not terribly saavy on the Treo 650 like I the $34 is well spent. Try searching this site for PDANET for more information!

Verizon does not want you to do this. They call this being 'tethered' and if you read the fine print on the data plans, it will specifically exclude being 'tethered.' As a result, they have disabled the Treo's inherent ability to act as a modem for you computer.

That said, many people want to use their Treo this way, and so there are work-arounds. Do a search for the shadowmite DUN hack or PDAnet. Either of these will connect your Treo to your computer through bluetooth.

I don't know what your options are using a USB cable.
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

Since I have the unlimited data plan Verizon does not bother me about using with my laptop. However try connecting to this with no data plan or kbyte plan and you will either get a huge bill or verizon will shut you down. Frankly if this was a big deal to someone you would be much better buying either a EVDO PC card for the laptop or a EVDO phone. You get much better performance. When using National Access it is like circa year 2000 DSL about 100KBS.

Windows Internet Sharing works fine with PDANET both with conventional dialup and with Verizon High Speed.

I had a MAC hooked up to my XP notebook while using PDANET just the other day.

Greg

Re: Wireless internet.

Originally posted by rx4mike
    My question is very basic. I have read through the threads but haven't been able to find this exact question. Is there a way to use the unlimited internet through verizon while my pc is connected. Basically I want to be able to share the web through my treo 650 usng my laptop, using the access that I pay through verizon and not bring my own. I also have a audiovox 6600 also if the treo wont do it will that?

Thanks
    Mike
    As mentioned earlier, this is known as tethering and is strictly forbidden by Verizon. If Verizon catches on to you, you may end up with a very large bill and/or have your service cancelled, it does not matter if you have an unlimited data plan or not. If you want wireless internet service for your laptop, Verizon wants you to purchase one of their pcmcia laptop cards with an appropriate data plan. With that being said, many people do tether their phone to their laptop and as long as you don't abuse it and only use this capability occasionally, Verizon will likely never know the difference.

Your best bet is PDANet from www.junefabrics.com , which will allow you to use your 650 as a wireless laptop modem.