+ Reply to Thread

Looking for a good Bluetooth USB adapter

I want to start hotsyncing and more importantly using my Treo 650 as a modem wirelessly from my laptop which does not have a built in bluetooth capability. Any recommendation on which one works most effortlessly would be appreciated. Easy connection is higher priority than low price.

Thanks,

Marv

CompUSA branded ( FMI 150 meters model- Class 1)... I bought it a week ago and its works great for hotsyncing and browsing the web... I can even wireless sync with VZW without data charges via BT.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...330&pfp=SEARCH
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

i too have a generic (it's purple) compusa usb bluetooth dongle for my sony vaio.

i don't think there's major diversion in manufacturer to manufacturer. though there are different bluetooth spec levels apparently.

the default MS bluetooth drivers work but are severely limited in the types of bluetooth functions they'll support.

just about every dongle ships with the same non-MS drivers (name escapes me) and that driver has a lot more (like, complete) flexibility for profiles - eg: you can use your USB headset with the computer. but there's a constant tug of war between the MS drivers and the non-MS drivers - it's frustrating. i gave up and just use the MS drivers now and can't use my bluetooth headset with my computer. c'est la vie.

doody.

I picked up the linksys USBBT100.

I did have one issue installing it on my XP SP2. (works fine with SP1 or earlier).

It seems that SP2 doesn't quite recognize the BT after install (SP2 buggy? SHOCKER!). You have to go into device manager and update driver and force it to use the linksys driver and not the generic driver.

Other than that, it works great.

Stealth Converged

Updated Feedback

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone has any more recent experience with newer BT USB Adapters. Thanks in advance for any help.

Big H