+ Reply to Thread

Verizon: Anyone rec'v calls while Wirelss Sync'ing??

The Verizon Wireless Sync documentation indicates that Treo 650 users with PUSH email should be able to receive a phone call during Wireless Sync sessions (you have to logon to your Wireless Sync account and browse through the support section to find the statement).

One data tech support guy agreed, and another said that was incorrect. Anyway, I certainly cannot receive phone calls while sync'ing (whether manually of because some eail is being pushed). The phone calls go directly to voice mail.

What is everyone else's experience?
    Peter L.

Re: Verizon: Anyone rec'v calls while Wirelss Sync'ing??

Originally posted by plyons10
    The Verizon Wireless Sync documentation indicates that Treo 650 users with PUSH email should be able to receive a phone call during Wireless Sync sessions (you have to logon to your Wireless Sync account and browse through the support section to find the statement).

One data tech support guy agreed, and another said that was incorrect. Anyway, I certainly cannot receive phone calls while sync'ing (whether manually of because some eail is being pushed). The phone calls go directly to voice mail.

What is everyone else's experience?
    Based on what I was told by VZW and from actual experience, when I do a wireless sync, I am unable to receive voice calls and my calls go directly to voice mail.

Stalker768

With a Treo 650, it should NOT be possible to receive a call while using Wireless Sync. On a CDMA 1xRTT network (what the Verizon 650 operates off of), voice and data cannot be used simultaneously thus while using data such as Wireless Sync, all calls will get sent to voicemail.

Thanks, Marty. It sounds like you have some knowledge about the topic. Do you know how the "push" email works? My guess is that the Treo is made aware of there being mail available via some sort of carrier tone (in the same way you get a voice mail notification) -- and the Treo responds by connecting to the network and downloading.

I think what they meant in the documentation is that the "push" part of the connectivity doens't interfere with phone calls.

Any thoughts?
    Peter L.

I'm not familiar with Wireless Sync but if I believe it works like most of the other SMS-based push clients out there. Basically, a program runs in the background on your computer and constantly monitors your Outlook inbox. When it detects a change in your inbox such as a new email, it send a SMS text message to your phone. The Wireless Sync client on the phone sees the text message (you don't) and this initiates a sync to your desktop inbox to retrieve the change (new email) so the SMS message is acting like a trigger for WS to initiate a sync/email check with your desktop. By initiating a sync, your data connection becomes active and thus while WS is syncing, you cannot receive phone calls.