+ Reply to Thread

Agendus vs. Datebook (and others)

For those of you seasoned palm users, I'm wondering which application you prefer for organizing your schedules, one step beyond what the built-in application can do. I've tried both Agendus and Datebook on trial, and my clear favorite is Agendus. I prefer the views, especially the day view which you can load any pic you want as your wallpaper. I've looked for other organizer programs to try, but can't find anything else that looks worth trying. By the way, I'm referring to the latest versions of these programs that are available.

The reason for this thread is although I like Agendus, there is what I believe a big shortcoming of the program and every program that I've looked at for that matter. HOPEFULLY I have just simply missed how to do or there is another program that can accomplish this for me that I'm not aware of. The shortcoming is the inablity to show PENDING To-Do items. In day view, it will show either all of your to-do's (which I certainly don't want - I don't need to see a to-do that doesn't start until next month) or to-do's that are due today. Obviously I want to see to-do's that are due today but I also want to be able to see those things that I probably ought to start working on now but aren't due until later. This view/feature (as defined in Outlook and other programs on my desktop computer) is called pending to-do's. I don't understand why such an important view would be missing.

Does anyone know of a program that can show to-do's which are due today as well as to-do's which are pending (the due date is at a later time but the start date is today)? The lack of this feature is preventing my palm from being very useful to me. My former pda, which utilized pocketpc, had pocket informant installed which was a great program and would list pending to-do's. I'm in search of a similar program - anyone know of one??

In fact, if I can't find a full featured orgainzer program which offers pending to-do's, I would settle on a program that simply has a daily view which lists todays appointments and to-do's (obviously with pending to-do's).

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by theorangeman; 08-08-2005 at 11:03 AM.

I've been using the Palm Treo 600 for about a year but have always preferred Pocket PCs, but can't find the perfect phone! Because I use Outlook, I've been using on my Treo, Key Suite by Chapura. It gives me the daily appts but on TOP of the daily appts, are my TO DOs for the day. It syncs great with Outlook and allows you to link your Tasks and appts with your Outlook contacts if they are linked in Outlook (WHICH I FIND VERY VERY HELPFUL).

I don't know if you're using Outlook, but I highly recommend you do a google search on KEY SUITE or www.chapura.com I think and you should find it.

Adam
    Siemans sx60, Kyocera 7165, Samsung i700, Samsung i600, Treo 600, Samsung i730, Treo 650, HP 6515, Treo 700w, CURRENT: AT&T Tilt

Adam,

YES - FINALLY an application which will show the to-do's the way I want them. The program will show (if you prefer) to see ONLY the active to-do's. Why the heck doesn't Datebook and Agendus have the feature to show only active to-do's rather than only all or due today?

I will probably go with this program if I don't find anything I like better. However, I don't like the other features of the program nearly as much as Agendus. Key Suite is a very basic, straight forward program. What I really like about Agendus is on the today screen, you can have a nice wall paper which looks very attractive (key suite will only show a boring blue background). The other thing is that Agendus has other calendar views which I look more. One view that is really nice is the full 30 day calendar which has a popup screen in the middle of the calendar so that when you tap a day on the calendar, you see everything for that day rather than leaving that view and going to a one day view. All in all, I believe Agendus kicks Key Suite's butt all over the place. However, not being able to list only active tasks may sway me over to Key Suites, unfortunately. Darn it Agendus!!

Hey guy,
    Give it a whirl. You CAN change the colors of the backgrounds, etc. I don't know all you want to do, but what I LOVE ABOUT IT, is that, in Outlook, you can create LABELS, that are color coded. I travel alot and have (in Outlook), changed the LABELS in the Month at a view screen, to represent different things. Key Suites actually copies those LABELS in the Month view with a BAR going across the bottom of the dates. This is great if you travel and have to block out dates, etc.... I know I'm not making sense, but you will love it.

I also tried Agendus and Beyond Contacts, etc, but I just really love Key SUites.
    Siemans sx60, Kyocera 7165, Samsung i700, Samsung i600, Treo 600, Samsung i730, Treo 650, HP 6515, Treo 700w, CURRENT: AT&T Tilt

I've been using Agendus 9 Pro for a couple months now and I'm a big fan. I do not, however, use the Today view. Personally, I don't see the point of it. It tells me that I have todos, but doesn't really list them. Clutters the screen with pending alarms and such. Yech!

I generally use the List view, set to 'next seven days.' This gives me exactly what I want. You might also consider the Split view that shows todays appointments and todos on one screen.

As far as pending todos goes, yes Agendus should show them to you. In the todo details page (when you define a todo), under the Options tab, is a setting called 'Advance.' This sets how long before the due date that the todo should show up on the screen. I believe this applies to most views (like the Expanded 30 Day view, todos that meet the 'Advance' criteria will show up in the details window for today.) In the List view, todos are listed under the date they are due. So with my view set at next seven days, all the todos due for the next 7 days (plus undated todos) are displayed on one page. If I want, I can turn off meetings and calls, so only the todos are listed.

Agendus is a long way from perfect, of course. For instance, any use of pictures in the program (for wallpaper, or contact pics, etc.) are converted to a proprietary format that must reside in RAM. But the cross-linking of the various databases and robustness of the views trumps the problems for me.

If you should decide to buy Agendus, be forewarned: Agendus 10 was just announced on PalmAddict the other day. No word yet on the Iambic website, but if it's close, you might want to sit on your trial period as long as possible, to avoid paying an upgrade fee right after you buy the app.
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Still searching for a good PIM as well

I used Dataviz Beyond Contacts for about 2 months because it seemed a simple integration with Documents to go 6 that I had already purchased for my Kyocera 7135 from DataViz. It sucked so bad that I just deleted it completely and resynced my Contacts, Tasks and Notes to the included Palm PIM. The extra 2MB I got back was an added bonus. I would gladly give them up for something useful.

I tried DateBk5 on a trial basis for about 2 weeks. It did not impress and today I removed it as well. The views offered by both Beyond Contacts and DateBk5 remind me on Windows 3.11. They suck.

I will check out Agendus 9 and ride out the free trial waiting for Agendus 10.

The Main screen that should simulate what you see in Outlook in the biggest failure in every PIM I have tried as of yet. Beyond contacts has a good Main Screen but the rest of it sux.

The search continues.

If anyone is happy with their 3rd party PIM please add it to this thread!!!

I am desperate for a useful PIM that is as easy to navigate as Outlook that will use the Treo 650 Dpad in a way that makes it useful and not frustrating.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Lightbulb Agendus 9 is the next test PIM

According to this comparison page, this may be the winner. I'll give it the full 2 week test run and get back to this thread.

http://www.iambic.com/agendus/palmos...ltincomparison

I decided to bypass Chapura KeySuite completely after seeing a $50 price tag on the software. That's just crazy.

Agendus 9 Standard is $30 and Pro is $40.

Off the try it out. Thanx for the suggestions and keep em coming.

Enjoy your toy !!!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

I've tried every PIM I could find over the past month and I keep coming back to Agendus. I'll use this program until I can find something else that will beat it (hopefully version 10 will come out soon and will have some improvements to the views). The thing that bothers me is that I LOVE the today screen, which you can add a beautiful wall paper to - it looks like a very professional PIM with today's meetings, tasks, and other items if you want. However, as breadheater stated above, the thing that I hate is the fact that it won't list the to-do's. It will tell you that you have some due today, but then you have to click on it and leave that screen. I've used a couple of other programs which I WISH Agendus would do as well, and that is, have an arrow button that hides the to-dos so that you don't take up the whole screen with them when you don't want to see them, but when you do want to see your tasks, you can push the arrow and it will show them to you on that screen (without leaving the view).

I also would like to see a view which only lists to-do's that are active. That would be nice on the today screen. Because this is the best program I can find right now, I'm figuring out how to make the most of it. When I'm using my treo, I soley use the List view (which you can add a nice wallpaper to it as well) and it will list only the meetings for the day as well as to-dos which you have specified to see. What I mean by that is when you create a to-do, you can specify it to come up a couple of days (or any days you want) early. It's not quite as slick as just putting in a date for the to-do to become active, but it works. The view is also not as nice looking as the today view, but it's still good.

I also use Grid 7 view which gives you a nice view of the week's meetings and tasks (which is very useful) and the month view I like a lot. It has a big window in the middle of the calendar which shows meetings and to-do's for any day on the calendar which you select (that way you don't have to leave the view and go to the day view like many PIM's do).

All in all, agendus is definitely my favorite program to use, especially when you download and use the agendus/outlook program. Then on your desktop you can utilize the views you like from agendus and the views you like from Outlook. By playing around with it a lot, I've figured out which views I like the best - neither program is that great by itself, really. The best program on my desktop that I ever used was Outlook. However, I liked the outlook/mail integration better than what Outlook offered and I had issues syncing my data with outlook when I use to own a Pocket PC (Samsung i700).

One other thing I'll add... I downloaded a free program called About today and it has a very nice today view. It's pretty basic, can't add any wall paper to it. However it lists your day's meetings and any tasks you may have and you can tap on the tasks and see a brief description of what they are. However, to see more of the task (if it's long which mine often are), it then takes you to to standard built-in task view which came with the program. I just don't get it... this isn't rocket science! If I were developing a program like Agendus, I'd look around at other program's views, take what works well and use it. They MUST know that they can do better with their today view. Hopefully version 10 will tell us that!
    Last edited by theorangeman; 08-09-2005 at 11:25 PM.