+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Palm 'Contacts'... A Joke? Only 6 Contacts per Screen!?!?!

Hey guys,

I'm a brand new convert from the 7135 camp. I'm slowly wading into the 650 pool before getting in over my head.

The first thing I did was beam my contacts over to my new 650... and I can't believe how terrible the new Palm OS5 Contacts program is. With Palm 4.1's Address Book I could store 11 entries on one screen. On my new treo, the MAXIMUM I can get is six... assuming I only have one number per contact.

This stinks. I know I can upgrade to a bunch of different contact programs, but no one really seems to talk about them on these boards... so I'm curious if every one is content with Palm 5 Contacts, or if I'm missing something.

It seems unbelieveable that I can't go back to the old Address Book layout with OS5.

Any help or advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks a ton!

Scott

I don't remember 4.1 or what it looks like, but there are plenty of better programs. Agendus, Beyond Contacts, and what Jin sold on because I sync with Outlook is Key Suites.
    Siemans sx60, Kyocera 7165, Samsung i700, Samsung i600, Treo 600, Samsung i730, Treo 650, HP 6515, Treo 700w, CURRENT: AT&T Tilt

Key Suite. Everything from Outlook syncs including catagories, colors, labels... I tried Beyond and Datebook and have been a happy Key Suite user for quite a while now.

Lightbulb 6 contacts annoying. . . yes indeed

This was my first impression too after my first two days with the 650. I use outlook at my desk and was surprised how bare bones the contact program is.

Looked at Key Suites site and it looks like a great improvement but for $49 it's somewhat steep IMO.

Add a few phone # for each contact and I only get 3 or 4 per page.

Anyone know another site to get better price on Key Suites?
    Last edited by Expidia; 08-13-2005 at 07:53 PM.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Question Agendus 9 contacts question

I may be doing this wrong.

I added some photos to my Agendus 9 contacts database but when i get a call from that person there is only the phone number and no picture.
    Is Agendus really this dumb? I thought they said they were using the same Palm databases?
    Even the included Palm contact program can do that.
    Am I missing something?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Fully Undaunted

Re: Agendus 9 contacts question

Originally posted by mikeyis009
    I may be doing this wrong.

I added some photos to my Agendus 9 contacts database but when i get a call from that person there is only the phone number and no picture.
    Is Agendus really this dumb? I thought they said they were using the same Palm databases?
    Even the included Palm contact program can do that.
    Am I missing something?
    You cant have the same number listed anywhere without the same picture linked to it. (Example...... I had my WIFE listed with our home phone number and I had myself list with our home phone number. I had my WIFE'S picture in her photo part, and no picture in my photo part. When my wife would call me I got only the number and her name, but NO picture.) Then i added my WIFE'S picture to MY contact info, now when she calls her picture shows up. If you have the same number in contact anywhere make sure you have the same photo linkede to it. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wolfee; 08-23-2005 at 07:13 PM.
    Oh... what a tangled web we weave!!

will have to play with it. I only have my work cell number that I am trying to call from in here once. noone else has that number but me so i know it is only inthere once. I will keep playing with it. Thx for the info.

p.s. I was having trouble with maps to contacts. I see now that you must already have a web connection open in dormant mode for it to work.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Agendus does not use the same photo database (despite what Iambic says) that the Treo native apps use. It is entirely proprietary, creates it's own pics, which it stores in RAM, and you can't move them. They run about 64k each. It really sucks. Hopefully they'll improve this in version 10.

Moreover, setting a pic for a contact in Agendus does not change the caller ID photo. You have to set this in the native Contacts app. And if you move the photos (from RAM to the card, for instance), it'll lose track of them, and you'll have to set up your contacts again.
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

thx for the info. i will stop trying to add pics to Agendus and just add em to the native contacts. I love the pics on the screen when I get a call. Most people do.

Question how do you contact Iambic?

I am having a helluva time trying to find contact info for Iambic. I want to ask about Version 10 free upgrade but in 30 minutes have been unable to find a single email address to send my question to.

Why would I want to be a customer of a company I already know I will never be able to contact if I need help?

Does ANYONE have a link or an email address to anyone at Iambic so I can contact them?

Thumbs up sales@iambic.com

I found this contact on an older email from Iambic. I still could find nothing on their website.
    I asked if I should bother with Agendus 9 now since version 10 is coming out soon.
    Reply below:

"Thank you for contacting us. With your purchase of v9.06 now, you will be able to obtain v.10 for free. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us further.

Regards,

iambic Sales "

Good enough for me. I am in.

Still have never seen that free Ver 10 upgrade email that some people speak of in there forums.

My emails just say,

"Ready to Buy? Agendus Profressional for Palm OS can make your handheld a more effective tool today!" with a link to the website. YES IT DID HAVE THE TYPO ON PROFESSIONAL

Found a 20% off coupon for Agendus Pro 9.
    Here you go:
    Iambic Agendus discount 20% off

Iambic Agendus are giving Palm Addict readers a 20% discount off their Professional Edition by using discount code PALMADDICT.

Will post shortly and let you all know if it is still an active discount.

Enjoy your toy !
    Last edited by mikeyis009; 08-25-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Thumbs up Agendus 9 discount a success !!!

From PalmGear or other sites the 20% discount does not work, but from www.iambic.com it works fine. (it links to Handango so it may work from there also)

Original price for Agendus 9 Professional is $39.95.
    20% discount was $7.99 off.
    Total is $31.96.

Only $2.01 more than the Standard version.

My email from Iambic sales says I will get a free upgrade to Version 10 if I buy now. I am taking their word on this and making the plunge into my new PIM.

Enjoy your toy !

Thumbs up Agendus 9

I have been using Agendus9 for a month now. I like it. It takes a little bit of getting used to. But it is pretty powerful once you get going. I like all the available views. You can customize damn near everything. Check weather from your contacts. Look at a mapquest map of your contacts. (Useless. Driving directions coming in Version10)
    I can choose what number to call from each contact quickly. Or choose and email address and shoot off a quick note. You can select any photo as wallpaper for your Today screen. Quote of the day. Weather for 10 days. Meetings. Memos. To Do lists. Icons for everything. Contacts by catagory. State. Company. anything u like. I just really like this PIM.

My search is over. Waiting on Agendus 10 now. Go to www.iambic.com forums and u can beta test version10 for free. I need stability so I can't play. Hope the bugs are worked out soon.

Enjoy your toy!

Is there a "contacts" only app out there to replace the standard CONTACTS only? I want to keep my datebook program, memos, and tasks.

I think the contacts program is terrible. I'd like to be able to customize which fields I see when searching for a person. ie - display a list of lastname, first name, company, and phone numbers. I think this is impossible with what comes with phone.

You can try something like this but I've found that all the built in apps are lacking. Try a demo of Agendus or Datebook5 and see if you like one of em.

Link to Contacts only app.
    http://tinyurl.com/74nfl

Enjoy your toy!!!

Thanks. I love that we can pickup great apps for $10-$30 that make the Palm 10 times more useful.
    I am running Datebk5 which I love. I just purchased TAKEphONE for my contact today. It is truly an awesome app.
    You can search by any field for contacts. For example, you can search by the standard last name, first name, company, address, zip, phone number, and even custom fields that you create. In each of my contacts, I added a field for their interests. So now I can search by interest.
    As a sales person, this is great because I can quickly find my customers who are Lakers fans, or who like to golf, or be taken out to lunch.
    Anyway, I finally got everything setup just how I like it.

You're a salesman and you go by the handle "Shady"??? Not good marketing strategy IMHO...

Originally posted by bobodobo
    You're a salesman and you go by the handle "Shady"??? Not good marketing strategy IMHO...
    Never noticed that. Well I live on a street called Shady Springs. Couldn't think of a better name at the time.
    Maybe I should leave hte name to car salespeople and verizon reps.

MS Outlook Sync for Palm

Treo 650 newbie here...after an arduous research/review of this forum and TC's for SW to outfit my new toy - I must say, some things I'm already starting to miss not having my WM i700. Funny how I'm searching for SW similar to MS (WM) to sync for calendar's and contacts etc - cause the basic Palm one I must agree w/some of the Palm die-hards here is lame.

I already miss being able to slap an appointment on my calendar on the fly or while at my desk and instantly watching it appear on my device. Now, it doesn't happen until the sync button is pushed.

From what I'm seeing, it boils down to prefs of Agendus, DateBook, Key Suites, and the one I think I'm going to choose is Beyond Contacts (Davitz). All are in th $40 range except for the over-priced $70 Key Suite (Chapura). The Key Suites price is what has me shaking my head and wondering do I really want a Palm device or a WM - if I have to spend $$$ just to get it functional. My initial plan is to stick it out but its just sad the basic apps don't even cut it on these top $$$ devices.

For the record, I enjoyed (and enjoy) having the power device although I never really used it fully. Huge need for me is definitely a smaller than what I had all in one device w/phone first capabilities - the reason I decided to take the plunge and try Palm OS. All 3rd party apps that were on my i700 were free (Bible SW, Games for the kids etc.) The Win Media Player was good enough for my tunes so I didn't have to buy another player. The advice I'm seeing in the threads boils down to MOcean or PTunes although some (few) have said the existing RPlayer is good enough.

Excuse my ramblings... my research of a best match Win/MS Outlook solution which lead me to the $$$ Key suites is the cause! blessings to all, I continue to rely on the expertise here - THANKS. -g

update: reviewing the Trial SW (Agendus & Beyond Contacts), I like Beyond Contacts as expected but I think its supposed to dial from contacts but mine isn't or I can't figure the simple process out or it doesn't work w/the Trial.

Agendus does perfectly...but looking at them both it just looks like paint has been added to the basic apps. Also changing the view of the basic Calendar apps does give it the Outlook "look & feel" - the default was on compressed time and show time bars.

Beyond Contacts did get rid of my 2 sync errors (unsupported repeat pattern & multi-day repeating appts). If anyone knows if a post exist to fix this I'd appreciate it - haven't found it yet on palm.com.

In summary, Agendus has the best looking/functional Contacts (ABC Tabs) just like Outlook and WM. that being said, I think I'm going to be better off saving my money for other stuff and just using the basic apps...with my adjustment, the only gripe I now have is the way the Contacts are listed - as others have already said...but I can't see "paying" for the look (now for one process-contacts) so I'm back to looking for cases for now! -g