+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mail applications

I've been using a Treo 600 for a while with "Inbox to Go" but it doesn't seem to be working that well anymore.

What do yen guys think is the best to get emails from my home Adelphia . net account? I've seen some of you use Versa Mail, Snapper Mail, Chatter-something or other?

I have Verizon as my carrier. Thanks

Ps-I'm now using the 650 Treo.
    Siemans sx60, Kyocera 7165, Samsung i700, Samsung i600, Treo 600, Samsung i730, Treo 650, HP 6515, Treo 700w, CURRENT: AT&T Tilt

Using SnapperMail Enterprise with great success. Migrated it from my 7135 to my 650 and now to my replacement 650. No issues and works great.

I would vote for Chatter. Better in every way.

I use the VersaMail that came with the phone and it works fine for me. What type of improvements do Chatter and Snapper provide? I would upgrade to them if it would help. Thanks.

Don't know about Chatter, but Snapper handles POP and IMAP, attachments, saving to SD card, scheduled auto mail retrieval, specify SMTP server for each account rather than a single SMTP for the app/all accounts.

I think Chatter does all that as well.

I looked up Chatter and it sounds like a nice app. Too bad their site didn't have any screen shots to look at, I'd rather not install a trial jsut to see what it looks like.

Comparing the forums/issues for both Snapper and Chatter, it seems Snapper is a little more stable,perhaps becuase its older, but Chatter definately has some nice features not in Snapper

Jeez, you're going to choose your app by the screen shot???!!! I'll have to tell Marc to put one up to avoid that consumer reaction in the future. But in the meantime, you shouldn't be so cautious. You can download the app right from his board in all of less than 60 seconds and if you don't like it, just trash it.

As for stability, Chater is just as stable as Snapper in its stable version. (both the stable and beta are freely available). The instability issues are due to the fact that, unlike Snapper, Chatter is being continually developed on an average of several times a week so you can use the latest beta with its (really minimal) instability or use the stable version and be as happy as pi. Or pie.

well i tried the Chatter app. After it crashed my 650 due to Butler or TreoGaurd and I hard reset and reinstalled all my apps and disabled those tools, Chatter started.

Tried to run it, and it hung up the unit. Removed and reinstalled it, got it running.

Now I jsut dont care for it. It doesnt seem as intuitive to me, maybe its just too advanced for my needs.

I started this thread and did quite a bit of searching and decided to buy Snappermail. I looked at all the websites and honestly, the Chattermail didn't have screen shots or anything that 'excited' me whereas Snapper did. I hate to admit it, but that sells a product and so far I'm happy with it!
    Siemans sx60, Kyocera 7165, Samsung i700, Samsung i600, Treo 600, Samsung i730, Treo 650, HP 6515, Treo 700w, CURRENT: AT&T Tilt

Originally posted by CruiseLineGuy
    I started this thread and did quite a bit of searching and decided to buy Snappermail. I looked at all the websites and honestly, the Chattermail didn't have screen shots or anything that 'excited' me whereas Snapper did. I hate to admit it, but that sells a product and so far I'm happy with it!
    Agreed. I auditioned both and settled on Snapper. SD use is just being implemented into Chatter right now. Snapper may not be in as active a development cycle as Chatter, but it is extremely well documented and supported, both on the web and via email. No hits on Marc meant - he is quite responsive as well.
    David

chatter vs snapper

I have a Treo 600. I downloaded the trial for both Chatter and Snapper.
    I really liked that Chatter did background fetching. But comparing both I would have to say that Snapper is much more user friendly. The only thing I didnt like about Snapper was that while it was fetching mail you couldnt do anything with any other applications, the Treo was completely useless while it was checking the server and downloading mail.

Customer service was better with Snapper also. I sent an email to Chatter support he answered pretty quickly but when I emailed him back needing more information I never heard back from him.

So, Im going to buy snapper. I would really love it if it would download the mail in the background but in every other way Snapper is superior.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Background downloading in SnapperMail is coming in a future version. Though, I'm not sure which version or when. (FYI, I work part time on the official SnapperMail support team.)
    Michael

Well this is pretty obviously a personal decision so each to his own. All I can say is I work for no program and I depend on Chatter as if it were my life, including its background feature that it's had since day one and which I am using now as I post this on the train.
    Last edited by mdavis; 08-22-2005 at 09:50 AM.

background downloading

Thanks Michael, Jennifer told me that it would probably be available in a future version. I have written you before and you helped me a couple of weeks ago with my automatic fetching thingy. You and Jennifer helped me out alot and were great at emailing me back when I had a question...unlike Marc of Chatter. Im sure hes a busy man and all and I dont hold it against him that I emailed him twice and he still hasnt answered.

As far as the comment from mdavis. It is a matter of personal perference. I would have probably bought Chatter because it did have the background downloading and the push capabilities. But I just found that in everyway other way Snapper is more user friendly than Chatter. I found that almost every function can be done easier in Snapper than in Chatter. Im not talking a huge difference but why would I choose to do something with 3 clicks instead of one. And that is what I found. Across the board snapper was just easier to work with. Chatter is a great program and if I hadnt downloaded Snapper and compared the two I probably would have gone with Chatter. But in comparing them both I found that Snapper was much easier in every way. And another thing that sold me to Snapper was their quick response to my emails, which unfortunately I didnt get with Chatter

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    Background downloading in SnapperMail is coming in a future version. Though, I'm not sure which version or when. (FYI, I work part time on the official SnapperMail support team.)

drr
    Is there a step-by-step procedure on how to set up a dial-up access to the internet via the 650 somewhere? I had a 7135 and it was pretty straight forward through Eudora, but it isn't so simple it seems with the 650.

There are entire threads devoted to it, but the bottom line is that the best and mos reliable method is with PDANet. It is close to plug-and-play. Just dont be fooled by the pop up that tells you you have anything over about 30-80 kbs, because that's all you'll get if you use a speed teste (with or without PDANet). Good luck!

drr
    Thanks. However, both Chatter and PDA mail are PC-based and I have a Mac. I managed to pull out the prc program file for PDA mail and put it on my Treo, but it needed to connect to my desktop program, which of course didn't exist. Anyway, the only option I appear to have, even with Chatter installed, is to connect via the National Network (Verizon). The question remains, how does one bypass this option and simply dial up my old trusty server to access mail, like I used to with my 7135?

Remember I am talking abot PDANet, not PDA Mail (whatever that is). PDANet is not designed for Mac, but they do say that it might work with Virtual PC for Mac...and you can give it a try for free, I believe.