+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

7135 vs 650 new owner notes . . .

7135 served me well. Even with the 3 or 4 swaps for another refurbished replacements the 7135 still served me well.

Bot the 650 at Verizon Albany NY Central ave store. They charged me $299 which I thought was fair (included $100 for their two year exchange policy).

I've been slow to make the move because I thought I preferred a clam shell and liked graffiti. When Verizon started offering the Treo 650 several months ago I re-read all the comparisons and was still turned off along with the $499 price tag.

I've learned to live with all the 7135's resets, contrast and brightness changing by itself, slow engine and worst of all the 7135's low contrast grayish looking screen to these tired 56 year old eyes.

But I figured everything's a trade off with some features and I thought I needed things like tri mode, but I think they are doing away with some of the bands anyway.

I was getting real tired of graffiti anyway which was my biggest concern especially after they went to the II version. I thought thumb typing on the 650's tiny keys would be difficult.

Wasn't looking forward to having to buy all new access. again like two cradles, two car charges xtra battery etc.

** But I was glad to see Dan's cellphone still in business which is without ? the cheapest place to buy OEM accessories. Even cheaper if you call him direct rather than using his store on Ebay. Email him at Danscellphones@aol.com for latest price list**

So I made my move and in just two days of use I know I made the right move because this Treo 650 ROCKS!

Too many features to talk about over the 7135 and I'm sure they have been re-hashed on this site already.

But here are a few from my experience so far. . . The 650 is thinner and without weighing both of them, 650 might be lighter than the 7135 and actually is half the size of the 7135 when its open so it doesn't look geeky when your talking (this is why I liked the clam shell) on it because it's so small cradled in your hand when it's held up to your ear, it looks to others like you're talking on a small cellphone anyway.

Best feature is it's amazingly clear and bright screen which is actually the same size as the 7135 but appears bigger because its so bright. I'm using my 7135 screen protectors and they fit almost perfect. Using my same 256 SD card too. Nice battery life and it's removable now with the 650 model which the 600 didn't have this feature.

This screen is so bright at night you might be able to use it from your car to illuminate house numbers while driving down a dark street . . ha ha

I've used PDA devices for 10 plus years followed by the PDA/phone 6035 so I'm pretty finicky when it comes to upgrading.

But if you are pondering a new PDA/phone device (Verizon gives 15 day free trial anyway). . . GO FOR THE TREO 650 without reservations!

Best of all you're reinvigorated once again with that new electronic toy feeling which I've missed after the 1st year with the 7135 and all it's small problems. 7135 still a great device (giving mine to my Son).

You remember that feeling don't you? It's when you're after that "must have" new device? And when the 1st store says their out of stock . . . you think nothing of spending the day driving all over town to find one that has one in stock.

I'm hooked on that feeling again and it feels just great!
    Last edited by Expidia; 08-28-2005 at 04:06 PM.

I am definitely a convert as well. I really like my 650. My 7135 however does seem more able to take the rough handling though. I have read many times that the 600/650 are more fragile. I have dropped my 7135 many times and it has only a few minor scratches and has never failed to operate.

I dropped my 650 ONE time and broke the screen and just received my replacement a couple days ago.

Other than that I am really liking the unit.

Agreed . . .

The 7135 is well built problem was it was the software which was too glitchy.

At least with Verizon's service they have the $6.00 a month coverage (used to be $4.00) if one does break or lose their 650. I'm sure all the other providers offer it too. Buying with many gold cards also provide doubling of the warranty periods. Two years it's obsolete anyway . . :0(
    Last edited by Expidia; 08-13-2005 at 03:15 PM.

Just finishing my first week as a Treo 650 user who was "forced" by Verizon to give up my 7135 when the phone part of the device failed. I also wasn't looking forward to moving away from Grafitti. I have found the keyboard easier than I thought it would be however. Just not sure how long it is going to take me to leave the stylus in the device and use the 5-way button for navigation... old habits are hard to break.

The biggest disappointment I have with the Treo really involves a lack of function when it comes to palm/phone integration... like voice-dial, imbedding phone pause characters (like "%") within the phone numbers. In addition, I really miss that special "shortcut" stroke as a time saver.

I know there are workarounds and add-on applications for most of these and other shortcomings but the 7135 really was a nice package.

Regards, Steve Yarbrough
    Regards, Steve

On 7135 voice dial . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLYDoggie
    [B]Just finishing my first week as a Treo 650 user who was "forced" by Verizon to give up my 7135 when the phone part of the device failed. I also wasn't looking forward to moving away from Grafitti. I have found the keyboard easier than I thought it would be however. Just not sure how long it is going to take me to leave the stylus in the device and use the 5-way button for navigation... old habits are hard to break.

The biggest disappointment I have with the Treo really involves a lack of function when it comes to palm/phone integration... like voice-dial,

Expidia: I agree, 7135 had a few nice features stuffed into a small package but I could never use the voice dial feature for very long. Even though I had a back up to the SD card I always seemed to lose all my voice setting all to frequently, so much so after the first year I just gave up on that feature all together.
    Disappointed to see the Treo charges you for this software which was included with the 7135.

I also think for the high price of the Treo they could have included a charger with folding plugs. This charger is really a cheap one, but at least they included one.

My Son just bought an Ipod Mini just like mine, but now they no longer include an AC charger (just a USB cable so you need to have it plugged into a computer and the computer has to be running to recharge) . . . how cheap is Apple?

One other note on your Stylus issue . . . I thought the Treo's buttons were too small so I put off buying one but they are actually raised up real high and it is easy to type with. Faster than graffiti IMO. The worst feature on the 7135 were those totally flat dial buttons with no tactile feel to them. I had to re-punch in almost every number which was especially dangerous while driving.

This screen entry feature on the Treo is SWEET!
    Also nice to be able to tap the screen with the stylus without getting that constant 7135 error that says you "can't use the stylus on the upper screen" or something like that.
    Last edited by Expidia; 08-13-2005 at 10:03 PM.

I had to check something on my 7135 recently, and was AMAZED at how slow it was compared to the 650 which I've had since May. I've never regretted the move.
    Release the Hounds!

This is true . . .

Originally posted by Shea
    I had to check something on my 7135 recently, and was AMAZED at how slow it was compared to the 650 which I've had since May. I've never regretted the move.
    Expidia: Quite a bit faster indeed. Also quite a difference in the screen brightness and clarity.

When I laid them side by side to see what picture program I was using the 7135 even though it's color it looks like I'm looking through a gray window screen.

No complaints though with all it's quirks it was a great device.
    I'm going to get a bluetooth earpiece on Mon. Going through Danscellphones@aol.com. Dan took care of us very well over at the 7135 forum. I could never buy OEM accessories anywhere else at his prices and service.

Seems like it was either Markito or Robert K that made the Treo jump a year ago. I should have listened to whichever one it was when my 2 year contract was up.

Sheeeez . . . I've not been around for a few months and I see my Avatar has disappeared

Last edited by Expidia; 08-14-2005 at 01:00 PM.

So tell me is the 650 able to connect to wireless hotspots or a wireless home network?
    Dr. Van Nostren, from the clinic

The answer to that would be a big fat no......
    Dr. Van Nostren, from the clinic

Originally posted by DrVanNostren
    So tell me is the 650 able to connect to wireless hotspots or a wireless home network?
    Expidia: This is true . . . It also ticks me off there is no built in GPS, or AM/FM radio, can't get Satellite radio either etc etc etc . . .
    Don't even attempt to fry an egg on it's back, it can't do that either.
    I'm going to go back to my old 7135 cause when it was in my pants pocket I really used to pull the looks from that BIG WAD!

I really miss that old brick

Which part do you miss?
    The lack of battery life and having to carry a bandalero of extra batteries?
    The sllllloooooowwwww speed?
    The constant locking up?
    The random hard resets?
    The dinky-winky little stylus?
    Having to pull the stylus out to do practically anything?
    The dim screen?
    Or the contant need to watch the 7135 forum for solutions to the problems everyone was having?

I love the 650 for fixing all of the reasons above, and would never go back!
    Release the Hounds!

I switched as well after carrying th e7135 for two years. It was a good hone for its day. I had verylittle trouble with it. But batt life, slowness, and low rez screen became hindrances. Treo works well. The one area I think the 7135 STILL beats the Treo is reception. I travel the country for work and with that old tri-band I can hardly recall a drop or place I could not get signla. Such is not the case with Treo but I can live with the reception I am getting. Just not stellar.

I recently did the switch as well. I really miss the flip-design, and the 7135 being a phone first and PDA second; the 650 is really the opposite.

After throwing the 650 in a hard case, though, the positives outweight the negatives for me.

I'll just have to wait a little longer for the perfect PDA-phone...

Shea . . .

My comments were "tongue in cheek" to the poster . . . Treo rules.

I was smitten within the first 10 minutes of using it. Even being a 10 year user of graffiti (palm devices>6035>7135>650).

Just goes to show me that one can never be so set in their ways that they refuse to try another platform.

Key board and screen is the best. Would NEVER go back to Graffiti now. Don't miss the clam design either as the Treo is really a slim form factor in my pocket and does not constantly flip sideways with the antenna poking out the side of my pants (or worse when it flipped the other way . . yowch).

My wife always hated whenever I asked to make some notes or look up a contact in the 7135 while I was driving. Last week on a 4 hour drive she actually "enjoyed" making 35 client calls for me and telling me when to push the BT 850 for me to talk. Now that I went to the BT Treo she won't even have to do that anymore because it connects automatically.

After my calls, she even spent another hour updating info in my contacts on her own and said "this new phone is fun now, I hated your other one".

That's the best part, anyone can use a Treo unlike the learning curve needed to use graffiti

My take on this is that people have to be realistic, The truth of the matter is that the Kyocera 7135 was a great device when it came out.

My first introduction to the Palm devices was the Palm Vx, when I got the device, I said wow this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Then I started to resent the fact that I was juggling two devices (looking up contacts on the Palm and trying to dial them on my Startac before the Palm screen shut off).

Then the perfect device was announced, the Kyocera 6035, I purchased on immediately, I was in total bliss nothing could be better.

Of course, things could get better and they did, information started to surface about the Kyocera 7135, it was a beautiful device (The Clamshell was so sexy, and would protect itself), I couldn't wait for Verizon to release it so, I purchased on directly and connected that puppy to Verizon and enjoyed what had to be the strangest "Love - Hate" Relationship that I ever had. On the one hand the 7135 was great, smaller then the 6035, what seemed to be a great color screen at the time, expandability via SD Cards, the list of great things just went on and on. Of course the list of problems was quite long also (Battery Life, the Contrast/Brightness resetting, Hard/Soft Resets)

Treo's:

There have been various Treos, most of the first ones were not that great in my opinion, the only thing they had going for them was the keyboard (which I thought was cool), but in the end, I didn't buy one because I didn't do that many emails so, the keyboard wasn't that important.

The Treo 650 was the first Treo that actually got me hooked on the idea of a non-clamshell PDA/Phone. The device feels very balanced in the hand, the screen is very nice, the battery life is much better then my 7135, it has Bluetooth, did I say it has Bluetooth, the MP3 Player sound better to me (Great volume and quality), much faster processor, the one handed operation is a nice touch also.

Now don't get me wrong, the Treo 650 is not without its own set of faults, I get issues where the Bluetooth will just stop working until a soft reset is done, I had to get a Vaja Case to protect it which make it bulkier, most of the really good function is through Third Party Software, My Treo will sometimes reset when I end a call......You get the picture, speaking of pictures.....the camera is useless.

But at the end of the day, the Treo 650 is better then most other devices out there, so until something better comes along, I will enjoy my Treo and what it can do for me now....Not tomorrow......But right Now!!!

Oh yeah, I also most forgot, the palm Hotsync software that came with my Treo 650 seems to be as “dumb as a rock”, if I have a repeating daily appointment and I delete the occurrence for Saturday and Sunday on the Treo, on the next HotSync, the software will make duplicate entries on both the phone and the desktop, this is very frustrating, the software that came with the 7135 never had these problems
    Last edited by imz14u2nv; 08-31-2005 at 08:55 AM.

imz14u2nv well said . . .

Although my Treo is only 2 weeks old, I have yet to see a reset or a lock up. I did upgrade the software and I don't run many third party apps.

On your appoint. dups. You might try using outlook on your computer and hotsyncing to outlook instead of Palm Desk top if that's what your using now. I have not seen any problems yet using outlook.

Best thing that I don't miss with my 7135 was all those constant resets which always seemed to happen when I was in a hurry to pull off info or make a call!

Just ordered a "Proclip" holder for the Treo 650 for my car. I searched around for a car holder and this solution appeared the best for me. Was not cheap though: $30 for swivel holder and another $40 for the car specific mount plus $8.50 shipping.

But it's worth it to me. I hate the look of some Mickey Mouse stick or screw on phone holders.

http://www.proclipusa.com/vehiclemou...clemounts.aspx
    Last edited by Expidia; 08-31-2005 at 03:18 PM.

I never really had any problems with my 7135. in 1.5 years I had 2 unexpected hard resets, easily recovered with backupbuddy from the SD card.

sure it was slow and low res, but it worked. i didnt buy it to watch movies or look at pics. i loved the reception it had, signal almost everywhere.

only reason i have a 650 now is that Verizon is $$$$ and I needed out and moved to Sprint.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    Am in love with my Treo.

Yes it has small quirks and yes, my best software is 3rd party, but it's the best all-in-one cell/pda IMHO.
    I rarely see anyone on a flight or waiting with me at the airport with a PocketPC or a Dell or any straight PDA. The majority are dumbphones of course. In the 'smart' catagory I see 2 things, every time.
    A Blackberry or a Treo.

1st: Blackberry is a dinosaur already.
    Most companies jumped the gun and Blackberry took off. Buying backroom servers and wasting time and money. I was talking with a TMobile rep that was at my office for the day and he said he wished TMobile had the Treo650 because he can't stand his Blackberry any longer. It is a shell of what the Treo has become.

2: The Treo650. I see these things all over the place. Blue and Silver ones.
    Of course most people are just talking on it while I am completely consumed by mine.
    Mine is dual purpose. I use it for all my business contacts, emails, documents and datebook info. Flight info, Airline membership numbers, hotel info. But I also use it as my personal contacts, birthdays, anniversaries, bill reminders and emails. Hell, it's even my alarm clock when I am out and about. (soon to add GPS)

At 5pm, I fire up my BT earpiece and makes some calls that are for me and not the almighty dollar. Once I'm done catching up with my mini-world of family and friends, it's my personal toy till 9am the next day when I need it to do some work for me again.
    It's main job for me is always as my daily cell. I don't even have a house phone anymore. My wife and I always got calls on our cells while we are sitting in the living room and my brain clicked on. 'Why pay for a house phone that only solicitors call me on?' So we just killed the house phone completely.

I listen to music. Play Galaga or SkyForce. BookWorm has my focus lately. It's like crack with a worm. I even watch entire movies over the course of a week or so. 10 minutes here. Another 15 waiting somewhere else. i'll even watch a few minutes of a flick while on the crapper. I know people in the other stall are wondering why the hell they hear 'Forest Gump' playing next to them, but I don't care.

I take pics of morons who crash on the freeway. 'They make for great MMS shots. I'll shoot a short video from the LCD screens at The Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. (Congrats Elway and Young) I MMS pics of myself at a ball game in Detroit to my pops in CA. My wife will send me some nice pics to keep me happy while I am on the road. yummy!
    I can IM from it to my buddy in Iraq while I wait for a flight in Iowa and he waits for his next mission. I can get almost anywhere on the internet with it. Movie times, all the usual suspects.

There is so much that it CAN do with it that I have not spent much time thinking about what it can't.
    This little handy, while not perfect, is perfect for me; now.

Time will tell where we all go from here. Most of us were pretty happy with a 6035. Maybe an older Treo. Then the 7135 got us. Now it's the Treo600 or 650. I used to love my 7135. Now I can't imagine using anything without a miniature keyboard. Who actually misses graffiti? Not me. It alwasy sucked.

My next cell-buddy may have EV-DO? Wi-Fi? Lasers? Hologram screen? Who knows?
    I just know I don't miss anything about the 7135. Clamshell? Don't care anymore. Flat, crappy buttons? Nope
    Terrible screen and colors? Uh-uh. SD slot? Still got it.

If you look through these forums you'll see that most people love thier Treo's and all it does but hate their service providers, and all they don't do.

Enjoy your toy!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

mikeyis009 . . . WOW

Quite a description here of how you use phone the Treo 650 . . .

I'm going to forward this "What one can do with their Treo" to my Brother who I suggested he upgrade to the Treo 650 as he now carries a cellphone and a Tungsten.

I was still on the fence myself about going for unlimited data package from Verizon my provider. . . But now I'm hooked. I been depriving myself of much of the Treo's data abilities. I've been monitoring my usage and I'm already up to almost 1 MB (Verizon data about $15 per MB) and I'm only 3/4 thru my month.

I was spoiled by the 7135's plan of surfing the net by just going against my minutes. The Treo with a Verizon plan sucks you into using kilobytes whenever you use data even on the weekends.

My plan now is the basic 450 peak minutes for $39.95 plus $15 for data (and I've been laying off by using it sparingly) even so I'm already up to $55 after 3 weeks use. So for another $6.25 a week I'll have unlimited data and net use

Notice how one can "pencil sell" the monthly cost down in order to justify spending more $$$.
    Actually, only a mere 80 cents a day over what I'm paying now, ya that sounds better, that's the ticket

Watching movies on the CRAPPER, what will they think of next
    Palm III, V>6035>7135>6035>650>700p>755p (on Vzn), Palm's BT Treo Hdset,

Re: imz14u2nv well said . . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    You might try using outlook on your computer and hotsyncing to outlook instead of Palm Desk top if that's what your using now. I have not seen any problems yet using outlook.

Actually,
    I do use Outlook 2002, I have never used the Palm Desktop because I was already using Outlook before I got my first Palm Powered Device.